Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy outback ej25 motor swap from a 2000 into a 1997

I just bought a 1997 outback with a bad dohc engine. I can pick up a low mileage 2000 outback sohc engine. I've done swaps before but not this one. Will the engine fit and bolt up to the mounts and tranny? Will wiring harnesses plug in? Do/can I need to swap intake/exhaust manifolds and/or sensors? Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by jelly man

can't do it without major modifications. the intake manifolds do not swap and it doesn't plug in.

the only way to do it would be to swap the DOHC wiring harness onto the SOHC engine. then you have a major concern still that the cam triggers are different. they are different amongst later swaps, so good chance these two are different as well. with the later swaps it's easy to just swap cams, not sure you can do that from Phase I to Phase II DOHC and SOHC.

the trans bellhousings are different (changed in 1998), but it's not a problem and will bolt up just fine.

Why do people keep acting like this isn't worth the time? The phase 2 engines go for over $1,000. The early engines go for $400 seems like a worth swap to me if you have a blown 2.5 phase 2 that you want to replace with a 2.2.

Ive been trying to figure out a similar swap. I have both Phase 1 and 2 2.5 engines on the floor in my shop. The cam issue might not be an issue at all. The big one is the components. Like posted before you will have to switch the harness and the throttle body( which has the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor.) The only thing that is questionable is the fuel injectors. THe type 2 computer might not open them correctly. The injector plugs are different but if you file off the ears then it will plug in. I might Try this switch for the hell of it in the nest couple weeks ill let you know how it goes.

Why do people keep acting like this isn't worth the time? The phase 2 engines go for over $1,000. The early engines go for $400 seems like a worth swap to me if you have a blown 2.5 phase 2 that you want to replace with a 2.2.

Ive been trying to figure out a similar swap. I have both Phase 1 and 2 2.5 engines on the floor in my shop. The cam issue might not be an issue at all. The big one is the components. Like posted before you will have to switch the harness and the throttle body( which has the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor.) The only thing that is questionable is the fuel injectors. THe type 2 computer might not open them correctly. The injector plugs are different but if you file off the ears then it will plug in. I might Try this switch for the hell of it in the nest couple weeks ill let you know how it goes.

The IAC is totally different on phase 2 engines. MAP based engines don't like changes like MAF based do. It's just not worth it. Plus it's now almost 2010. Phase 2 engines aren't hard to come by or expensive anymore, some of them are 10 years old. I've got 2 of them for $100 in the last few months.

Why do people keep acting like this isn't worth the time?
only one person said that.

in general it's not what most people are looking for as it isn't documented and would require figuring things out. few people are looking for that kind job.

if you have a blown 2.5 phase 2 that you want to replace with a 2.2. .
hold up - this will get confusing if you're throwing out conflicting info - you said you wanted to replace a 97 with a 2000 (see title of thread). now that sentence says you want to replace a Phase 2 EJ25 with an EJ22? those are two totally different ball games. the EJ22 into EJ25 swap is easy, the other is not, which are you asking about?

I've got 2 of them for $100 in the last few months. .
Are you talking about pull it yourself yards? that's another story and not something everyone has available.

The going rate for EJ25's is way over $100. The database of all the junkyards in the entire state of PA start at $800 and go up to $1,650 for a Phase II EJ25. That's more indicative of what the average person has to pay that doesn't have some special circumstance - subaru's everywhere, connections, pull it yourself yards, etc.

good luck, the fuel injectors are not going to be an issue.

jellyman - as GG says you need to specify exactly what years/size engines you're working with.

But I'd say (along with others here) that if you're gonna make the 2.5 jump from pre 2000 2.5 DOHC to something after 2000 it's not worth the effort. And there are folks here who don't mind a good challange who have already responded.

Even if the donor engine was free you'd be further ahead to buy a pre 2000 2.2 and put it in there.

As stated it will physically fit. BUt as a starter the wireing connectors are different at the eng/trans bellhousing on the pass side. The pre 2000 has 3 connectors, the post 2000 has 2 connectors. So right away you're looking at an unpleasant challange (I see wireing as definately unpleasant). Then you start with all the sensors, cam/crank notches that the sensors can read, it's just much simpler to get another engine.

Heck - just sell the engine you were planning on using. If it's a 2.5 you should get enough money out of it to more than pay for a 95-99 2.2 and that's a pretty easy swap.

I thought only 95-96 outbacks w manual tranny had an ej 22 option. I've helped with a 2.5-2.2 swap before. I'm thinking of putting an ej25 from a 2000 outback into a 1997 outback that has a blown ej 25. Thanks for the input. It sounds a little bit more than I want to get involved with.

If you value your time and sanity you should get a 95-99 2.2 w/EGR. 95 is the best, 96 is next best - you'll need a single port Ypipe. 98-99 will work but you may have to spend a little time with charcoal canister plumbing.

Search around here - lots of info already covered for this common swap.