Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing chain ea82?

Ive got a 1991 loyale in the shop getting new heads. I said we may as well do the belts too while were under there. He tells me that its a timing chain, not belt, and that the kit would be 300$ =O .

So is there a timing chain on these motors? i saw a chain looking thing hanging over my dissasembled motor, but everywhere i look online i cant find a timing chain, only belts. Is this guy trying to rip me off?

I made a post in another thread about this so yeah, sorry

well, he said it was gonna be 300 bucks, belt kits run ~100$ or less.

$100 is online or ebay pricing, mechanics don't get parts from there. auto parts stores are higher. mechanics often mark up what they buy as well. that's legit. they have to maintain relationships, keep track of parts, liability, return parts, and repair if it's under warranty. he's going to round up to cover costs and to make sure you don't end up with a higher bill (should be only a small amount of course). sounds reasonable to me and at least he's doing it right by not just replacing the belt.

i only do work for "free", having friends/relatives pay for parts only. i always end up getting hosed and loosing money. tools, rags, oil, grease, coolant, heat the garage, penetrant, anti seize, brake cleaner, degreaser, gas to get parts, returning wrong parts...i always loose out, but that's okay i'm helping folks out.

it's very time consuming to get exact prices, much simpler to round. multiply penny pinching by how ever many customers he has and he could conceivably loose time...customers, jobs...money, just for accounting.

now if you have reason to think he's hosing you, that's one thing but you haven't mentioned that. if you question his pricing, i'd say give him a little slack at least. particularly if he's a good mechanic.

grossgary

In response to your post, hes doing this work for free because they have already done the heads and labor on that was enough. he said he would do timing and water pump for free. I know how things work between shops and parts distributors

I do think hes hosing me on this, as i stated at the end of my first post. He wants to charge me 300$ for the timing chain alone. I have searched all over the internet and can only find timing belts, no chains for the ea82.

My only question: Is there a timing chain in my ea82 motor?

your question has already been answered...NO EA82s have 2 timing belts ..Belts...and they run about $50 for the pair..then new tensioners. ( which should be installed.) are a few more dollars...its been awhile since I have messed with them enough to remember the cost.

EA82 .. Chain ..NO belts YES

+1 to what GD said. You didn't need new heads, those are superficial "cracks". Every EA82 on the road right now has those cracks, every single one i've ever pulled anyway. I'd bet 10,000 dollars my XT6 has them because every other one I've ever pulled did (and i've owned like 2 dozen of them). They're benign.

The heads should have been milled, they just saw the cracks and I guarantee they never actually measured/checked for warpage. Why would they ever go through all of that if they junked them because of cracks?

That's like buying new tires for a car that doesn't even have an engine...or some another more creative analogy.

Your best bet is to get acquainted with the car, ask questions here and/or find a mechanic that knows Subarus, particularly old ones.