Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pros and cons of ea82t

I tried the retro/fitting forum to find out what requirements there were in swapping a ea82 for a ea82T, I only have internet at work, and it never fails every time I'm looking in the forum, I loose track of the page I'm on and have to start over:mad:.

I've got 2 89 s/w one is a gl and the other a dl, the dl runs, its my daily driver, and i've got another that had a rebuilt engine in it that got a hole in the block.

I know of someone not to far from me that has 2 "crate engines" that she and her husband bought years ago when they thought it needed an engine. Come to find out it just needed a computer. Her husband since died of cancer and she never fixed the original car(the one needing a computer) and never used the other 2 engines. She only ended up with 2 because the place she was getting them from was going out of business and made her a deal on 2.

Its supposed to be a package deal, the car and 2 "crate engines" for 500 dollars. I want to know if I'd be getting in over my head trying to swap this. I really only need 1. I'd be willing to trade the 2nd engine if someone near me could help me do this, I really suck at wiring. Its not set in stone yet, I've still got get the money, but not going to far till I know more.

The EA82T isn't worth the hassle. For *less* work you can have an EJ22 and get 20 more HP with NO turbo. Buy a donor gen 1 legacy for ~$250 and you get everything you need except the adaptor plate.

Either way you are looking at quite a bit of wireing, but with the EJ22 you are actually looking at less mechanical modifications. You see - the turbo would require that you change the engine cross-member, which involves R&R of the entire front suspension and steering rack. Pain in the butt is an understatement.

GD

clarify - do you mean remove an EA82 and install an EA82T?

just install it and run it without a turbo. someone recently did that with an XT6 and it was okay, maybe it would stand a chance?

i'm with GD, the adding a turbo gig would just be miserable in so many ways. they aren't the epitome of reliability and would require lots of other bits and fabrication to make work.

You could entertain swapping pistons, it's possible without splitting the block and then have the actual EA82 set up you need.

just install it and run it without a turbo. someone recently did that with an XT6 and it was okay, maybe it would stand a chance?

He'd have to swap heads to single port to use the SPFI. That would be fine, but he'd need to swap pistons too, or else the 7.7 comp ratio would make it gutless and in efficient.

Still seems like a decent deal. But I wouldn't bother trying to convert to the EA82T. If you are going to do that much wiring, then just get an EJ.

Sorry guys, I don't have the net at home so this is my first chance to respond. I could care less about hooking the turbo up. I just saw this as an opportunity to get a couple "good engines" they are not rebuilt, all the lady told me is that they were "crate" engines, the ones pulled out after so many miles and imported to the U.S. I'm not all that thrilled not knowing the mileage or compression.

I would have suspected that they would still have problems with the heads/head gaskets, after all its still an ea82 at heart.

As far as the ej22 I'd love to do it. Problem being, as I stated before, me and wiring get along about as well as Helen Keller and open heart surgery.