Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've done it before, to install a bolt on HD roof rack.... just drop the head liner, not really that hard. Start at the back and remove the plastic window trim, then above doors. Last remove the visors and the a-pillar trim and the over head consol and cannon plug. Try not to let it sag or it may crack/crease. I used a shoe box on top of the rear seat to keep it from sagging as i worked my way forward.

It's easy just go slow, keep the hardware with the panels (i use sandwich bags) and try not to break to many plastic clips and tabs, or she will rattle like a bastard. Takes about 45 min to get it out the first time, and about 15min to but it back in.

If you get frustrated use a sawzall.

Actually when getting into it there were rivnuts on the inside. So you do not need to take the headline down just pull the end caps off the rack and there are torx bolts holding it down. The roof rack on the gt is different than the rack on my outback. With my luck though one of the 8 torx bolts won't come out because the rivnut is turning so I'm going to have pull the headliner down on that side to get to the rivnut and hold it from turning. I have tried prying the roof rack up and putting pressure on it but it still just turns.

i work as an aircraft mechanic and see alot of garbage rivnuts. If you can't get to the back of it you can try to get some loctite around the base of the slutnut (but not the threads)....... or just drill the head of the screw and deal with it after the rack is off.

I think that was part of problem, they put loctite on from the factory. I guess 7 out 8 wasn't too bad. It was late last night so I stopped when I could not get that one out. I'll look at it when I get home from work.