Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little nudge..teeny one

I have an 06 Forester. I am fairly certain that 05 was the first year for the i-active valve. Basically, it's two position valve timing. Motor oil under pressure is used to shift the cam from its' "normal" timimg position to an "advanced' timing position. So, the system has been used in the US going on five years. I read this board every day, I can not recall one adverse post on i-active timing. It does not appear to be a problem.

Edited by The Dude

This explains alot. When I bought my '06 2.5i I had just assumed this was same system as used on the STi motors. It defenitely is not. The STi motor actually have variable valve timing with the cam gear "floating" in reference to the cam and it uses oil pressure to variabley advance and retard the cam at will. Oh well....

GM uses this on some of their new engines. the 4200 6 cylinder in the Envoy uses this technology and its a great idea. It controls cam timing for more performance. So you have the PCM controlling ignition timing (when the spark happens) and then the valve timing is adjusted basically controlling when the valves open and close. it doesnt make the duration longer, but it will open the intakes sooner and close the exhausts later.