Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gotta love the search forum

I know how many of you dislike people who post questions that have already been answered, and you suggest using search forum first. Here is my proposal.

I'm trying to find out how to or where I can make or find a conversion kit from 4 lug to 5 lug on an 89 dl 4x4 d/r m/t wagon.

I went in to search forum, entered keyword "hub" nothing found, nothing to even browse. Keyword "5 lug conversion" brings up page after page of conversions, and not a single one in the first 15 pages had anything to do with converting to 5 lug. Keyword "wheel" for sure this will bring something up, again 15 pages of stuff to browse, 6 things about wheels, nothing about conversion :-\.

So, here I am posting the question I'm sure thats been covered numerous times:grin: anybody have any suggestions.

I know how many of you dislike people who post questions that have already been answered, and you suggest using search forum first. Here is my proposal.

I'm trying to find out how to or where I can make or find a conversion kit from 4 lug to 5 lug on an 89 dl 4x4 d/r m/t wagon.

I went in to search forum, entered keyword "hub" nothing found, nothing to even browse. Keyword "5 lug conversion" brings up page after page of conversions, and not a single one in the first 15 pages had anything to do with converting to 5 lug. Keyword "wheel" for sure this will bring something up, again 15 pages of stuff to browse, 6 things about wheels, nothing about conversion :-\.

So, here I am posting the question I'm sure thats been covered numerous times:grin: anybody have any suggestions.

In addition to what some of these guys said, it also helps to search the right subforum. I often forget about the USRM.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50400

(Incidentally, I found that thread by searching in the "Older Gen" subforum for "conversion" and "struts", because I knew you had to change the front struts to do the 5-lug. A reference to the USRM came up on the first page of results:))

Jacob

the word or phrase you are searching for has to have at least 4 characters. If the word only has 3 characters, like hub, then you can use the * as the wild card, i.e. hub* or 5 lug*.

-Bill

+1, wild cards are your friend.

But I also agree google is much better and the site: function in google works great.

don't need the search function to get a pretty good start.

go to the main index of the forum, about halfway down there's a section titled "Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual" (USRM for short). Under that there are a number of sub-forums. click on the last one, titled "Suspension and Steering". there's a great write-up in there to get you started.

for more info, go into the Retrofitting section, and search for posts started by user "Poormanzimpreza" (advanced search). He has a great post with a ton of pictures of the different parts (there are actually 2 of them, one with some discussion, but the pictures don't work, and the other with working pictures)