Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on 4wd...

does the Brat ( 82 ) have the same setup as a Jeep?

Yes. There is no VC or center diff. It will bind on turns. It is 4WD, not AWD.

should stop when going into 4 Low on the Brat?

No - just push in the clutch. It's like shifting into a different gear. You don't need the clutch for 4H - just pull up (driving straight).

GD

Thanks GD for setting me straight on that . My Jeep raises hell if I try to put it in 4WD LOW if I'm going anything over a crawl . Sube must use a synchro on the low range or something , although its not really that low compared to the Wrangler . That helps too . I just got this little guy a few days ago and sorting out a lot of TLC stuff from over the years . The more I drive it .. the more I'm falling in love with it :)

( I hate to admit to this ... but it makes my Jeep feel somewhat crude in comparison . Mostly in the driving department . But I still love her too :) ) Leaf springs just dont compare to coils for comfort .

LOL

Thanks GD for setting me straight on that . My Jeep raises hell if I try to put it in 4WD LOW if I'm going anything over a crawl . Sube must use a synchro on the low range or something , although its not really that low compared to the Wrangler . That helps too . I just got this little guy a few days ago and sorting out a lot of TLC stuff from over the years . The more I drive it .. the more I'm falling in love with it :)

( I hate to admit to this ... but it makes my Jeep feel somewhat crude in comparison . Mostly in the driving department . But I still love her too :) ) Leaf springs just dont compare to coils for comfort .

LOL

Bob x2 on that one 3/4 cummins leafs bamb bamb and in realltity my subaru does better in the snow dept

Thanks GD for setting me straight on that . My Jeep raises hell if I try to put it in 4WD LOW if I'm going anything over a crawl . Sube must use a synchro on the low range or something ,

LOL

The low range on a subaru is actually a planetary gearset on the input shaft of the transmission, rather than a reducer on the output of the transmission -- completely different end of it. It's not nearly as low as having an external transfer case like the jeep, but it's nice to be able to shift in and out of low range and 4wd at any speeds.