Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on 4wd...

So, before winter here i wanna test my 4wd to make sure its kicking in, other people have said to tie the car to something and give it gas on some loose gravel, but i dont really have any loose gravel near by to do this....

can i put the car on a lift, start it up and engage the 4wd and see all 4 wheels spin? or will they still spin when the 4wd is NOT engaged?

Thanks!

-Scott

For me, i just went on some gravel roads. Put it in 4wd when i felt the rear kick out a little i knew it was working. I wouldnt recoment tieing it up to a tree. If you have the single range it is vacume actuated. Listen closely when you engage it you should hear a whisp of air as the diaphram is actuated also.

Yes they will shift on the fly. I've engaged mine at 50+

to test if 4wd works and there's nothing around but pavement ...........

do not have your friend in the car that wont be quite. you want NO DISTRACTIONS you want to hear everything.

Find a average residential intersection. In 2wd drive circle starting big going smaller drive left drive right. listen to the sounds and feel the wheel (no binding)

like noise

In 4wd hi DO NOT use low do the same thing start big go small go easy on the fuel you will hear and feel the tires (binding like noise)

First of all, I definitely would NOT test the 4wd on pavement. You can bind up the components and then have a bear of a time getting them to disengage. Worst case, you can cause some damage. you can easily put it on a lift and engage the 4wd and see the rear wheels spin. They shold not spin when the 4wd is disengaged. That is true of both auto and manual trannies. As far as I am concerned, that is the most responsible way to check the system.

My 4WD dash indicator doesn't work on my "new' 86 GL-10 SW (5sp pushbutton) so to see if 4WD worked I had all 4 wheels it up on jacks, put it in 1st gear and tested it. It worked great but had a big GRIND during engagement. Lesson learned; First put on brakes to stop the spinning front wheels before pushing button otherwise they won't sync quietly with nonmoving rear wheels :eek:

You can engage 4WD while moving (below 50 mph) but it helps to let off the gas first so you have good vacuum in the manifold in order to move the vacuum actuator (mounted on trans which moves a cable which engages 4WD)

Edited by quartus

The 4WD dash indicator is operated by a switch that's on the side of the transmission - the only way the indicator will come on is if the transmission actually shifts into 4WD.

Beyond that - if you don't beleive the indicator light, then put it on jack stands and you should see one front and one rear wheel spin when it's in 4WD. Only one front wheel will spin in 2WD.

It is perfectly fine to engage 4WD on dry pavement - just make sure you take it out before you make any sharp turns. I run in 4WD on dry pavement all the time. It doesn't hurt the

non-lifted rigs in any significant way. You'll lose the syncro's in the transmission long before you cause any damage from 4WD on dry pavement.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

The 4WD dash indicator is operated by a switch that's on the side of the transmission - the only way the indicator will come on is if the transmission actually shifts into 4WD.

Beyond that - if you don't beleive the indicator light, then put it on jack stands and you should see one front and one rear wheel spin when it's in 4WD. Only one front wheel will spin in 2WD.

It is perfectly fine to engage 4WD on dry pavement - just make sure you take it out before you make any sharp turns. I run in 4WD on dry pavement all the time. It doesn't hurt the

non-lifted rigs in any significant way. You'll lose the syncro's in the transmission long before you cause any damage from 4WD on dry pavement.

GD

my lights come on when i hit the button, yay!

thanks for the insight... since you seem to know EVERYTHING, i'll take your word for that one GD, :)

the reason for only one front and one rear wheel spinning is becuase of the dif's and no friction correct?

I forgot to ask what kind of car do you have. Do you have a single range or dual range 4wd. For me with the single range, when its engaged its planted. I cant spin the tires at all, it feels like its kinda kicked down a peg on power.

its the best combo ever... EA82 - 3AT!:banana:

the reason for only one front and one rear wheel spinning is becuase of the dif's and no friction correct?

Yeah - sometimes one will spin fast and the other slowely, but don't expect all 4 wheels to spin. The diffs will only allow one front and one rear to have power up in the air like that unless you have a rear LSD and/or some exotic transmission that has a front LSD.

All the 4WD transmissions work essencially the same way - the 4WD indicator lamps are either on the linkage AND trans in the manually shifted models or only on the trans as in the case of the push-button models.

If you ever push the button and get no light - something is wrong. But when the light comes on you KNOW it's in 4WD because the actuator rod on the transmission has to physically push the lamp switch.

I'm pretty sure that's how these work. Perhaps I'm mistaken as I haven't owned a great number of the push-button car's.

GD

Yeah - sometimes one will spin fast and the other slowely, but don't expect all 4 wheels to spin. The diffs will only allow one front and one rear to have power up in the air like that unless you have a rear LSD and/or some exotic transmission that has a front LSD.

All the 4WD transmissions work essencially the same way - the 4WD indicator lamps are either on the linkage AND trans in the manually shifted models or only on the trans as in the case of the push-button models.

If you ever push the button and get no light - something is wrong. But when the light comes on you KNOW it's in 4WD because the actuator rod on the transmission has to physically push the lamp switch.

I'm pretty sure that's how these work. Perhaps I'm mistaken as I haven't owned a great number of the push-button car's.

GD

Sounds good to me! You just seem so knowlegdable that you could probably tell me a monkey in the trans switched it and I'd believe you. Haha.

Anyways, I tested it on a gravel road I found, 4wd on I drove forward and tried swerving a bit and you could feel the backwheels pushing it forward... Sweet. Bring on da mo f'n snow!!

I got to test out my AWD drive today, and I will say that I like it alot! It's nice to have it automatically kick in when you need it, like when you forget it's raining and try to cut out in front of a car going 50 only to realize that your tires have NO traction because it raining and all you are doing is spinning your tires, and then all of a sudden the back wheels kick in and save your rump roast from an accident. Ya, AWD is my new friend. Especially since I am not really going to go wheeling in this car so I don't need 4WD or low range. I was hesitant at first about AWD, but now me likey :)

On a different note, that's some crazy rain!! I think all that rain in coming up to Washington, so that's what I have to look forward too soon... Sweet.

Subaru transmissions will slip in and out of 4WD at up to 70mph(110 kmh) all without using the clutch as they were designed to do so.

Possibly in the US they were more conservative but both my 82 wagon and my 89 brumby show that spec in the owners manual.They do warn about transmission windup on paved roads.I constantly have used it dropping into 4WD High when encountering conditions like water running over the road during heavy rain,but dropping straight back into 2WD after the corner,just make sure not to hit 4WD Low instead when fitted.

The difference regarding safety and the extra sure footedness in these conditions is definitley worth it,it may not be AWD but it is the next best thing.

If you haven't tried it you are missing out on a major plus feature of our cars,also very handy for takeoffs up wet greasy roads uphill away from the lights where all vehicles leave their oily droppings and traction is at a premium.

Subaru transmissions will slip in and out of 4WD at up to 70mph(110 kmh) all without using the clutch as they were designed to do so.

That is true of the 5 speed's, but only some of the 4 speed's. Not all of them were equipped with syncro's for the 4WD engagement. Now if you are going straight and all your tires are the same size it shouldn't matter and you should be able to go in and out of high range without issue at any speed you like (I've done it at well over 80).

This is true of ONLY high range. You must use the clutch to shift to low range.

GD

to test if 4wd works and there's nothing around but pavement ...........

do not have your friend in the car that wont be quite. you want NO DISTRACTIONS you want to hear everything.

Find a average residential intersection. In 2wd drive circle starting big going smaller drive left drive right. listen to the sounds and feel the wheel (no binding)

like noise

In 4wd hi DO NOT use low do the same thing start big go small go easy on the fuel you will hear and feel the tires (binding like noise)

NOOOOOOO!!!!! you will break something (ie. axle, trans ect.) The manual states to NEVER engage 4wd while on dry pavement.

Yes you could check it by lifting the car off the ground and engaging 4wd.

Be careful not to rock it off the lift or something though. Also, disengage before you drive it anywhere

Our cars don't have a center differential, therefore they are prone to driveline wind up. The car will not disengage from 4wd if it is wound up.

Also, if you are preparing for 4wd driving, make sure ALL your tires are the SAME SIZE and similar wear. An oddball tire will cause wind up and tire chirp/stuck in 4wd.

Edited by Ricearu

ricearu

if I cant drive my truck or sube in 4x4 on dry pavement I DONT WANT IT

I live in a ice and snow climate. Ive been driving and buying 4x4s for over thirty years. Not one has ever broke do to dry pavement

5 subarus

3 scouts

2 dodges

2 chevys st8 axeles

1 S10

3 jeeps

4+ fords

plus others

NOOOOOOO!!!!! you will break something (ie. axle, trans ect.) The manual states to NEVER engage 4wd while on dry pavement.

The manual is a CYA. You will not break anything on an unlifted/unwelded rig. I've forgot to put my various D/R's into 2WD hundreds of times before taking a tight turn - I've never broken a single thing doing it (with many of these rigs topping 200k miles or more). What happens is the driveline binds up and either one wheel chirps loose to unbind it or you back up, take it out of 4WD, and continue your turn (such as when parking in a lot).

Lifted/welded rigs are another story. I can snap rear axles in my wagon like candy canes if I leave both rear's in while driving on pavement. 28" tires and a Lincoln Locker will break axles every day and twice on Sundays.

GD

Oh ok. I don't like to. I blew my front cv to pieces this way. It binded up on me while pulling into a parking spot, tried to back up some and BANG. Dead front axle. My axle was clicking already so that is the root of my problem. I just don't like it when I take a tight turn and my car stops on its own.

Don't get me wrong GD, I really do trust your judgement.

I'm not sure you will actually break anything ... I never have with my '94 Wrangler with part time 4 WD , but it sure doesnt like it in 4 Low . It binds up and you can hear the tires chirping and hopping on turns . Got factory limited slip in the rear and that probably contributes to it as GD stated . 4H I cant remember if it does it or not . Here in AZ it never rains or snows enough to use 4WD on pavement :)

Not to change the subject , but does the Brat ( 82 ) have the same setup as a Jeep ? Or does it use a viscous coupling in the tranfer box ? I just got this thing and not at all familiar with Subaru 4WD . It seems to me I can feel it bind up a bit in 4Low just like my Jeep on blacktop .

Also , correct me if wrong ... but I gather I can shift on the fly into 4H ... but I should stop when going into 4 Low on the Brat ? The owners manual was history years ago LOL

Sorry to change the subject a bit ... but since we are talking 4WD :)

Thanks ,

Bob