Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

Fuel injector cleansing procedure I use:

• Remove the Fuel injectors.
  • Spray carburetor cleaner Upside down on them, to clean their inlet strainer. 
  • Plug a 1.5 feet long Hose, tight on their inlet.
  • Secure it in place with a Clamp.
  • Plug a couple of wires to their power input, to connect them to the Car's Battery.
  • Hold vertically the Hose, hanging the Fuel injector.
  • Fill up the Hose with enough Carburetor Cleaner.
  • Ask the Help of someone to Connect the Wires to the Battery, intermitently. (1 second intervals)
  • Blow the crap out of the injector, by bursting high pressurized air to the Hose.
  • When the Cleansing fluid is gone, fill up the Hose again...
  • Repeat this procedure until the injector is Completely Clean:) 

injectorCleansingProcedure1.jpg

WARNING!

The 12 Volts power should be Connected / Disconnected on one second intervals,

otherwise the pressure buildup on the Hose, could cause it to Blow,

spraying dangerous solvents and dirt all around. Be Careful!

injectorCleansingProcedure2.jpg

Important Notes:

I forgot to shoot a photo while the cleansing process was ongoing, so since I already re-placed back the battery on the car, I did the last shot for the photo, there, and then I Cleansed the Battery properly; dNot do this Fuel injector cleansing procedures nearby the battery to avoid a spark that might start a fire with the chemical solvents; also Never forget to wear safety goggles during this procedure, please Take Care. 

You have to be Creative to Hook the Hose Properly on certain Fuel injectors, such like the Older style Subaru ones.

I highly recommend to obtain brand new o-rings for the injectors, to be placed after the cleaning procedure has finished.

The ideal carburetor cleaner usage, is around 4 to 5 oz of the can to each injector, or a whole 16 to 20 oz can of good quality, concentrated Carb Cleaner, distributed among four injectors.

You'll need to fill up the Hose and blow with air several times 'till the injector sprays with a clean, defined pattern as it should.

An average air compressor, has a common working pressure of 90 psi, while an average Car's fuel pump delivers much less psi. The mixture of that higher pressure with the amount of concentrated chemical solvent used, gives as result an incredibly clean fuel injectors, beyond any fuel additive could do. 

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Oh my God! ... We had forgotten how much Low end Torque and fast acceleration this engine could develop; in fact, sincerely, I could tell that we Never ever felt this car so Fast & Powerful... Now it only needs a slight touch of the accelerator pedal to fly out  :burnout: 

Also you can barely notice that it is idling, due to its new "smoothness" ... Let's see how the fuel consumption numbers will change after this tuneup.

Kind Regards.

• Like 6

Prior to reinstall the fuel injectors back on the "KiaStein" I placed on them, brand new o-rings.

Let me tell you that the Fuel injectors' cleansing solved almost all the problems regarding hard start and rough idle, but still sometimes it takes two or three key starts when the engine is Warm, to start the engine; I don't know the cause so far, but once it starts, it works absolutely Flawlessly.

The engine starts fast on the first try, when is Cool, like in the first early morning start.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

The "KiaStein" keeps running Flawlessly... except for that issue that it needs three ~ four cranks to start the engine once it gets warmed up to normal operating temperatures; but it starts right on first try every time it is cooled down.

Recently, I've only cleansed the PCV and IAC valves, also changed their Hoses so far. There is no change on that startup issue, but once started, the car performs flawlessly in every way.

Kind Regards.

300,000 Kilometers So Far!

The "KiaStein" already has more than 185,000 Miles on its entire Body & Automatic Transmission, which is great for a Kia Sephia built on mid 1999 being mistreated by the previous Owner, who use it for Racing purposes; I had to change the Engine's Long Block, so the engine only has the half of that mileage.

Working Flawlessly so far ... Kind Regards.

It will take me a while to read EVERY update in this thread, but rest assured that I will. I think one reason that people do not comment on your threads very much is because there isn't much left to add. Your work covers every detail. I can't wait to try your injector cleaning procedure on some old ones to test it out. I saved some pretty clogged ones from past repairs.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you Remember the Axle Job I Did, a little more than two months ago?

NewAxlesintheBox.jpg

NewAxles.jpg

Somehow, that "Smooth as Silk" feeling, only lasted a Whole Month, right after that, my Wife told me that the Axles started to make soft, but noticeable Noises on tight turns at slow speeds, while driving at the Supermarket's / Shoppin' Mall's Parking lots ... banghead-1.gif ...

So, I removed Both sides' Complete Axles...

Once%20Again%201.jpg

Once%20Again%202.jpg

...and went to the Aftermarket Parts' Store with the "New" C.V. Joints (Nakamoto) that they sold me then, still installed on their respective Shafts; they measured the Free Play that their inner bearings got after this couple of months of use, and... Oh Surprise!!! ...the amount was Beyond 3/16" which correspond to Worn out Axles.

So, after showing then their Sales Receipt from last December and after I Claimed their "Three Months Guarantee" on those Axles; they gave me another Pair of Axles.

Newer%20Axles.jpg

The Good News are, that the Aftermarket Parts' Store Honored their Guarantee.

The Bad News are, that they gave me a pair of the Same "Nakamoto MA-41S" C.V. Joints, which now I really Dislike, for being a little less than Junk.

The Ugly News are, that since they gave me another three months guarantee along them, maybe I'll be changin' axles once again in another couple of Months!

... :ph34r: ...

In Another Subject...

Around 8 Months ~ 10,000 Miles has been passed already since I did the Rear Disc Brakes' Swap on the "KiaStein" and we are More than satisfied with the Outstanding Results; the car is much Safer now, but as added feature, it is absolutely Silent at stopping, while it used to have Really Noisy drum brakes, that made the car to feel like an old School Bus while Stopping.

Now is Super Quiet and the Stopping Power is Better than the Average. 

Kind Regards.

More than Seven Months and 20,000 Miles has passed since

I did the Automatic Transmission's Cleanup + Differential spider gears change...

DiferencialNuevo1.jpg

...and Despite that the Transmission is almost reaching 190,000 Miles, its Outstanding Performance, shifting smooth as silk in every and each Circumstance, is beyond Awesome!

Kind Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuel injector cleansing procedure I use:

injectorCleansingProcedure1.jpg

I've been measuring the amount of Fuel used by this Kia, per mile; by doing a Complete tank fill up and turning to Zero the Mileage counter on the Gas Station during the Filling, then letting my wife to drive the car 'till its Tank is almost Empty, with the Gas Gauge pointing to the "E" and counting how many miles the car does per each 11.5 Gallons fill up. Then once again, turning the counter back to Zero on the Next Fill up... and so on...

So, I measured Seven full tanks, prior to do the fuel injectors' Cleanup + Sparkplugs' change; then I've measured already another Seven tanks, since the fuel injector cleanup; let me tell you that the KiaStein was drove only on Mixed City environments, such like Traffic Jams, short Highway cruisings, lots and lots of hill climbings, with the car loaded, doing so many errands, etc... and each fill up took 11.5 US Gallons, which equals to ~ 44 liters of Fuel.

Here are the Numbers, for comparison purposes:

Prior to the injectors' cleanup, it made an Average of 182 Miles (per each fill up of of 11.5 Gallons).

After the fuel injectors' cleanup, it made an Average of 220 Miles (per each Fill Up of 11.5 Gallons).

So it went from ~ 16 Miles per Gallon, to ~ 19 Miles per Gallon, always on City duty.

The car is working Flawlessly, except that it keeps needing

from two to three key Starts to startup, as I wrote in previous posts. 

So I added an Extra Ground Wire to the Fuel Pump, just in Case...

Added%20Ground%20-%20Fuel%20Pump.jpg

...which did Not changed anything at all, I'm still searching for the Cause.

Kind Regards.

• 2 months later...

The car is working Flawlessly, except that it keeps needing from two to three key Starts to startup ...

Appreciated Fellows,

I'm pleased to announce that I already found a Solution to the Hard Start Problem, our 2000 Sephia needed from three to four start key / cranks to catch up and start, now it has some days starting at the very first try, in fact it only needs short effort from the Starter Motor.

I've not posted the solution before, because I really wanted to be completely Sure that this solved the issue, prior to share it here, on the Forums.

Please allow me some time to Edit and Upload the photos I took, in order to explain the solution in the right way.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Do you Remember the Fuel Pressure Test I did some time ago?

TestingFuelPressure.jpg

Immediately after the engine is Shut off, the pressure goes down to 10 and then, slowly it goes down more, but as fast as the Starter moves the engine, the Pressure Blows up to 50 once again, and stays there, Rock solid at 50, no matter if engine is warm, cool, at idle, accelerating, with A/C, etc ... it stays solid at 50, until the engine is shut off again...

The "KiaStein" had that issue that was needing three to four Key Starts to catch up and Start, but also recently it started to feel a little anemic, needing more gas pedal to climb hills, than it used to need; so I repeated the Fuel Pressure Test.

This time the Behaviour was similar to the last time, but the Maximum pressure barely reached 40 Psi, so I asked a Friend mechanic who has much more experience than me, on this Fuel injected engines. He immediately told me two interesting things:

1. Definitely, there is a Problem with your Fuel Pump.
  2. You overlooked that the pressure goes down after shutting off the Engine.

He explained that there Should be a Check Valve on the Fuel Pump Assembly, that keeps the Pressure in the system after shutting off the Engine, and that Check Valve obviously wasn't working anymore. 

That was my Mistake, to not think about the Check Valve the first time I did the Test.