Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another timing question

I am close on starting my E82; just have to fine tune. I have installed the two belts 180 degrees to each other. As I had removed the distributor, getting it back right is the issue. Have read here that after getting the belts on, I need to back off the flywheel to the 20 degree mark and install the disty, pointing at the #1 plug. Is this how it is to be done?

I know this subject has received a lot of print here, but for us newbies, it is important that we understand clearly. The manuals do not really give good guidance on this subject. If I have not explained my question properly, just let me know. This is a great forum, and I can understand how your patience gets tested with repeat questions, but it is important. Thanks.

totally annoying to install a distributor - first lesson is to never remove it again unless it fails (rare).

second - personally i like to look at another engine and just match everything to that - cams/disty and you're done.

there are instructions already here that show how to do it, i think there's even pictures. searching will answer your questions.

the search button is up above - use the advanced search function, search the older generation forum only and then title only. keep in mind it needs 4 letter words or more. if you have a three letter word sometimes you can get it to work with a star like ABS* or *ABS.

also if you look at the bottom left of the screen right now you'll see "similar" threads to yours, some of those might answer your question.

good luck!

1. Pull #1 plug.

2. Rotate engine till you feel the cylinder compressing air past your finger (comp. stroke, both valves closed).

3. Rotate flywheel till marks come into view and set pointer on 20* BTDC

4. Install distributor with rotor pointing at whichever plug tower you wish to be #1.

5. Install wires starting with #1 and working in a counter-clockwise order. Fireing order is 1,3,2,4

6. Start engine (put the #1 plug back in dummy!) and fine tune with timing light and diagnostic connectors plugged together.

GD

Thanks all. I did get it running, but had to go to a wrecking yard to check out a motor there first. I had the belts just right, lined up the mark on the distributor shaft with the bump on the distributor shell and installed it pointing to what I understood to be the #1 wire. No go. On looking at the motor in the wrecking yard, I found that the #1 cylinder was across the motor from the one I was using as #1. Mistake #1. And the distributor was installed with the mark opposite what I understood it was to be. When I set my motor up the same, it started right up. Confusing, but she runs, so okay.

did you install one belt then rotate the engine 360 and install the other belt? Not doing this is a mistake that is rather common. If you just install them with the cams 180 it won't run. I've made this mistake so I make sure others don't.

The manual is for people that haven't done it a couple dozen times. There's lots of folks here that install them both at the same time. Driver's side up, passenger side down.

The reason the manual sugests to rotate the engine one revolution is to get the passenger side cam to an unloaded posistion. If you align it straight down then it's under valve spring tension. It's not a problem if you are careful though.

GD