Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turning on and off ABS on '97 Outback sport

Is there a simple way to do this with an electrical signal? I'm thinking that that might be good to hook to the lo range output of the new dual range transmission going on it, so the ABS is disabled when it's in low range. I don't mind the ABS on the highway, even though I'm used to cars without it..., but at lower speeds the ABS is very disconcerting, and sometimes doesn't stop very well because it won't lock the wheels up. Most situations where that's the case -- deep snow, loose gravel and mud, etc, I'm going to have it in low range already though, so it seems like a good way to set it up if there is a way to take that output through some sort of relay (I can figure that part out) to turn the ABS on and off.

Thanks

Z

in general bad tires whack out the ABS, i know for sure on mid-late 90's Subaru's. I had a 97 OBS that had horrible ABS until I had new tires on it. I think most folks not having good ABS experience have bad tires. You can read my old threads complaining about ABS...now I realize it was tires. My tires had 75% tread at least, but the rubber was old.

Okay - there is a fuse and/or relay for the ABS so disabling it should be real simple. Just tap into those. Check the fuse panel, not sure if ABS is a dedicated circuit or not, if not tap into the relay. Relay is part of the ABS unit on some models and not others, not sure. The big relay/fuse box in the engine bay may have a dedicated ABS circuit too, they're all labeled I think just pull the lid.

in general bad tires whack out the ABS, i know for sure on mid-late 90's Subaru's. I had a 97 OBS that had horrible ABS until I had new tires on it. I think most folks not having good ABS experience have bad tires. You can read my old threads complaining about ABS...now I realize it was tires. My tires had 75% tread at least, but the rubber was old.

Okay - there is a fuse and/or relay for the ABS so disabling it should be real simple. Just tap into those. Check the fuse panel, not sure if ABS is a dedicated circuit or not, if not tap into the relay. Relay is part of the ABS unit on some models and not others, not sure. The big relay/fuse box in the engine bay may have a dedicated ABS circuit too, they're all labeled I think just pull the lid.

Sound easy enough.

It's got brand new snow tires on it... and you're right, it's not nearly as bad as other newer subaru's I've driven with bad summer tires on them. But, it still annoys me sometimes :rolleyes:

Pulling the abs fuse disables it and turns on the ABS light on the dash, which is a good reminder that it's not functional. Modify the fuse so that it goes through a remotely mounted fuse and a switch and you will have control over it without modifying the wiring harness at all. That way if you loan the car out you can pull the adapter dummy fuse and plug in a normal one and not worry about it.

the old series Subarus... early 1980s offered Dual Range 4WD in some models. I had two wagons, one with, one without. I know some Brats had it (perhaps all??).

Others here will know more about it.

There is a thread here concerning a deal that was in the works: to ship a batch of DR trannys from New Zealand, landing them on the West Coast. Search the forums ... it was an interesting read. I dunno how that finally ended up: if it actually took place or not.

I've also read arguments that assert the 2.2 and 2.5 have enough power that the DR isn't such a nessecity as it was with the old 1.8 cars. Again, I had my time with them and they weren't much for hp. Super bullet proof reliable but sorta gimped for output.

the old series Subarus... early 1980s offered Dual Range 4WD in some models. I had two wagons, one with, one without. I know some Brats had it (perhaps all??).

Others here will know more about it.

There is a thread here concerning a deal that was in the works: to ship a batch of DR trannys from New Zealand, landing them on the West Coast. Search the forums ... it was an interesting read. I dunno how that finally ended up: if it actually took place or not.

I've also read arguments that assert the 2.2 and 2.5 have enough power that the DR isn't such a nessecity as it was with the old 1.8 cars. Again, I had my time with them and they weren't much for hp. Super bullet proof reliable but sorta gimped for output.

The one I'm using is from a 1987 GL wagon... kind of a reverse to the normal EJ swap, but much the same adaptors. It's down at the shop (CCR) in Denver now, but I'll post a thread on it when I get it back.

As far as the 2.2 being powerful enough that the dual range isn't necessary... I don't buy that one bit if you drive like I do. In deep snow (top of the hood), the EJ22 stalls or you risk burning out the clutch, whereas the old EA82 in low range would still go (till the wheels got lifted off the ground, that is :) On really bumpy roads the low range helps too... there you don't need more horsepower, you need less speed and even an EJ22 can't idle at 500 rpm. For everyday use for most people... yeah... not needed. But most people probably haven't avoided getting a subaru newer than 1989 simply because they stopped doing low range in them (in the US) that year...

The one I'm using is from a 1987 GL wagon... kind of a reverse to the normal EJ swap, but much the same adaptors. It's down at the shop (CCR) in Denver now, but I'll post a thread on it when I get it back.

As far as the 2.2 being powerful enough that the dual range isn't necessary... I don't buy that one bit if you drive like I do. In deep snow (top of the hood), the EJ22 stalls or you risk burning out the clutch, whereas the old EA82 in low range would still go (till the wheels got lifted off the ground, that is :) On really bumpy roads the low range helps too... there you don't need more horsepower, you need less speed and even an EJ22 can't idle at 500 rpm. For everyday use for most people... yeah... not needed. But most people probably haven't avoided getting a subaru newer than 1989 simply because they stopped doing low range in them (in the US) that year...

Not really a fair comparison to base the engine alone on. The older sooby has differnt gear ratios and smaller tires which make a big differnce, plus they were alot lighter.

A 2.2 can handle a real dual range nicely. The modern (aus) dual ranges from what I have heard isnt worth the expense since there isnt really alot of differnce in gearing. I may be wrong on this.

Killing the ABS in 4wd low is an excellent idea.

nipper