Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Portland Locksmith for new code cut key

My 1981 GL is having ignition issues, either the barrel is messed up or its my old warn down key, I'm 99.8% sure it's nothing more complex than that.

I searched some older posts and it seems my first step should be to get a code cut key to match my tumblers.

Can anyone recommend a locksmith or mechanic(?) to do this in the Portland, Oregon area? I could start cold calling but I'd like to give my business to someone who deserves it.

I searched some older posts and it seems my first step should be to get a code cut key to match my tumblers.

quote]

sorry not from that area and this doesn't adress your question exactly but.... local locksmith said for me to bring in the passengers side door lock, he matched it to that (easy to take out) and new cut key per tumbler #'s on lock. Quick, cheap and done.

my .02cents..

+1 on the potential key issue... great place to start.

There's a kiosk in the Tualitin Fred Meyer parking lot that did a lot of the key/lock work for the company I used to work for (they were close to us) and I had them code-cut new keys for my '83 Hatch. It was like $25 for the code-cut and $8 for each copy or something like that. Most places can do this from what I've experienced - just make sure you call before you travel any distance to go to a smith - make sure he has the code's at his disposal or he won't be able to do it.

Wilsonville Lock and Key is a great place too. They have done a lot of strange vintage stuff for my Mother who's an antique dealer - she does a lot of vintage furniture and they have repaired locks and made keys for her stuff for years.

GD

Cool, 2 places to start looking.

Is there anywhere else I can see the code that wouldn't involve taking a lock out?

The code is on the passenger side lock tumbler. Just remove the upper door card and with a flashlight and inspection mirror you can read the code (something like W833). No need to take out the tumbler.

There's a kiosk in the Tualitin Fred Meyer parking lot that did a lot of the key/lock work for the company I used to work for (they were close to us) and I had them code-cut new keys for my '83 Hatch. It was like $25 for the code-cut and $8 for each copy or something like that.

GD

wow wtf? 25 bucks to look up the code and 8 dollars a key? 2 bucks a key up here to have one made.

Just pull out your passenger side door lock. they key code is stamped on the back of the lock tumbler assembly. it'll be a 4 digit code starting with 8 most likely.

If you get the code, most any Subaru Dealer will be able to cut the key for the price of a key blank, should be 6-8 bucks. All dealers should have a hand-held device for cutting the older keys by code. Kinda like a glorified hole punch, but for metal. They use a computer/machine to cut the new ones.

If you get the code, most any Subaru Dealer will be able to cut the key for the price of a key blank, should be 6-8 bucks. All dealers should have a hand-held device for cutting the older keys by code. Kinda like a glorified hole punch, but for metal. They use a computer/machine to cut the new ones.

I haven't checked any of the other's, but Lithia doesn't have the tool anymore for the older stuff. They couldn't even cut the blank for my '91 Legacy (I bought the blanks from them). They are very good with older parts though - just apparently lost the tool or something.

GD

I'll blame Julie... Everything went wrong about the time she showed up... Actually, it was more like Rodney leaving :( Now, if Paul shows signs of leaving, I don't know what I'll do.

Well, they used to have it, had a key cut about 2-3 years ago. AND- They should be able to cut a 1990 Legacy key. I have those cut all the time. About 2 times a week.

Yeah I try to deal with... um.... the name escapes me - the one in the back right corner. Julie never gives me the good prices and she's not very personable. Paul and the other woman that's been there forever always do.

They sold me the blanks with the LED light in them maybe a year ago and said they couldn't cut them for my '91 Sport Sedan..... maybe it was that their machine was broken at the time or something. I know for sure they couldn't cut one for my Brat. They don't have that tool anymore apparently.

GD

I guess I am lucky I have a little shop out by me that still cuts them by hand. When they could not find a blank for my 52 dodge they spent 45 minutes checking all the blanks (for the closest match) and fixed me up with 3 sets of 3 keys for $10 (for 9 keys) I took my keys for my subie to home depot they made 8 keys and only one of them work. of course they will not guarentee there work. the little shop though, It is a lumber store, lets you try them and they are super cheap.

The key to this (pun intended) is to have a master key made from the numbers. Usually, the original key wears more than the tumbler set. Once you have a master key made from the numbers, check it to make sure it works in all the locks including the ignition; then use it to make duplicates. Duplicates made from a working master should also work fine. Any decent locksmith will charge $2 to $8 to make a key from a working master. Before you have duplicates made, verify that they will work; if the locksmith won't guarantee his work, find another locksmith who will.

I took my keys for my subie to home depot they made 8 keys and only one of them work. of course they will not guarentee there work.

home depot will make replacement keys for you until they get it right... it's just a pain to have to keep going back... which is why I just go to the smaller stores now...

Atlasta is pretty good, but they're not a subaru place... but they can make a key for you from the tumbler for under $20...