Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I'm so sorry for another seafoam question - but I have searched til I'm blue in the face and can't find an answer. I just dumped Seafoam in the PCV line of my 06 OB (pulled the upper end of the line marked PCV in the second pic on this page - http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16758&highlight=PCV )

...poured in 1/3 can, shut off the engine, and when I restarted my car, it didn't smoke? Please tell me what kind of boneheaded mistake I made, and what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks very much for your time.

Pete

not sure if I did it how the mfgs suggest, but heres what I did. I poured it in then shut the motor off for about 5 minutes to let it work its magic.

Then I drove it hard. looked like i was an NHRA top fuel during a burnout. filled the entire neighborhood. Few times I tried it smoke didn't come out as good if I didn't give'r hell

Hi,

I'm so sorry for another seafoam question - but I have searched til I'm blue in the face and can't find an answer. I just dumped Seafoam in the PCV line of my 06 OB (pulled the upper end of the line marked PCV in the second pic on this page - http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16758&highlight=PCV )

...poured in 1/3 can, shut off the engine, and when I restarted my car, it didn't smoke? Please tell me what kind of boneheaded mistake I made, and what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks very much for your time.

Pete

I may be wrong but if you pulled the hose off the top, amd put it in the hose wouldn't the Seafoam have just gone into the crankcase? Ergo, no smoke, because it did not go into the intake system.

Thanks for the help - thats what I was just wondering, did it go into the crankcase? So I guess I should have pulled it off the bottom and poured it into the air intake?

Now, do I need to change my oil?

I appreciate it...

I think my confusion is that this is a 3rd Gen OB, so can someone please confirm for me that on my 06, I need to pull the lower end of the PCV hose, turn upward, and then pour the Seafoam into the hose?

I know it was a little different configuration in my 2nd Gen...

Its not a total loss.... Seafoam treatment in the oil is valid. Other forums very highly recommend it.

BUT you do need to change the oil after just a short time. It cleans the oil passages, helps free up rings etc, but it does degrade the oil (besides all the contaminants it washes into the oil.)

I'll go ahead and change the oil, not a problem. I want to try the intake again though, so can someone help with my question above? That is, I should pull the lower end of that PCV hose, turn it up, and pour the SF into it, which heads into the airbox?

Thanks again...

is the vacuum hose to the brake booster a good one to use??

No! My understanding is that the PCV line does a better job of spreading the juice around inside the manifold.

It appears they moved the PCV valve since my EJ22! At any rate you'd need to disconnect the hose at the lower end (not the manifold end) to get the fluid in.

Suggestion--Put the requisite amount of Seafoam in a small clean container like a yogurt cup. Then, with the engine warm and running, dip the bottom end of that hose into the cup. It should suck right up. It may tend to stall the engine but you can play with the throttle to keep it going.

As soon as all the fluid is sucked up, stop the engine. After waiting 5 minutes (or whatever the recommended time is) start her up, drive off and enjoy the show!

Now, do I need to change my oil?

Here's from the Seafoam website about lenght of time to leave in oil before changing based on pre or post addition:

1. As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

2. As an after service additive into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (based on mileage since last oil change), put the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.