Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heating Problems

I dont have a heating problem per-say. But when driveing around my windshield kept freezing over and fogging when i didnt have it on the windshield function. I cant seem to keep the inside windows from fogging, and keep the heat on vent. What is a good setting to cure this. Or is my heating system just not circulating well enough. It just seems strange, every other car ive had seems to have a vent on the outside to heat the windshield. Or maybe ive just thought this. Any ideas. I get heat in the car fine. Its not super, ouch burn my hand hot but its hot.

on days like this I just leave it in defrost mode the whole time...

no cars that I know of have an outside vent to heat the windshiled, but most have a vent there for air intake to feed through the cabin climate controls....

how much "force" does the air have coming out of your defrost vents? I had an '85 once that had crap for air force, and there was a plastic piece for the flapper controls that was broken so it wasn't directing the air properly....

You may know this, but I'll say it anyway....

There are several levers and vacuum actuators to control the airflow through the vents under the center dash, I bet you could play around with those to get a combo of defrost/floor heat. Also, there on the linkage for those controls, right by your right foot area, is a micro switch. When you hit the button for defrost, the linkage hits that switch to engage the A/C compressor. That will dry the air and de-fog the windows better, but cools the air, and slows the engine. You can disconnect that switch, or install a toggle switch to disengage it, just for the cold winter days. Then you will just get heat onto the windshield. Also, pull the blower motor(fan) and clean out the ducting right there. And flush the heater core.

I hear them switching, from floor, to window, to vent.

But no air flowing out of the different vents as you select the different switches?

Maybe check behind the dash to see if the ducting isn't disconnect somewhere.

Every sub I've had will burn you out(after heater core flush) even down to the bitter cold single digits here in VA :rolleyes:.

Maybe there's a way to play with the flappers to get a defrost/floor mode.

No sorry i didnt clarify. I have heat coming out of the floorboards, the windshield, the vents. Its just not burn my butt hott. I had the inside of my windows ice up on me tonight. Nothing i could do could heat up the inside of the car. I really wish i would of flushed the heatercore this summer. That and i could use a new radiator, probally water pump also. But i digress.

Are you sure you have no water leaks? ie leaking winsheild, or heater core or a gasket around one of the windows the other thing I would do is flush out your heater core. make sure there is not any blockages but I still think you would have to have some moisture in the car if your winsheild is fogging up. I agree with GD. i have been chasing that monster this year mine was a winsheild gasket that leaks. dried up the car and now it is just cold (heater was working now it is not again) light fog with no moisture. Try a portable heater leave it in the car overnight dry out the car and see if you see a difference if that helps you probably have water coming in somewhere. might take a couple of days.(mine was also someone dropped about a quart of water on the back seat floorboards.) good luck

Well the problem of his windshield fogging up is because his AC is not working(hooked up), the icing and lack of heat is another issue. But remember, every car has a defroster, but not all have an AC. My old Ford doesn't, and I only need to turn up the temp to keep the windshield clear.

Time to flush the core!

Have you done it before with a garden hose before? Plenty of posts about it here.

If your worried about your fingers freezing, and you can get the car close enough to the house, connect the garden hose to the hot water hookup for your washing machine so you can have hot water to keep warm! I've done the same when I was too impatient to wait for the engine to cool of to flush the coolant system, and to fill my koi pond in the cool fall temps, but that's for another forum....

Edited by Frank B

Unfortunately i dont live in a house i live in an apartment. Unless my father in law lets me flush it in his shop (doubtfull) then it wont get done this winter.

Anyone know what size belt to use with this ac alternator setup.

picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=922

Pretty sure this is the dealer installed A/C not the factory. And its a california car, if that makes any difference.

Ben

When I go outside later, I'll look at mine, i think it's the same set up.

or, you can measure it. Run a sewing tape measure, or a rope around all the pulleys it needs to go around along the outside edge of the pulleys, not down in the grove. You need the outside diameter of the belt, not the inside where the v is. This will get you close and hopefully the adjustment will take care of the rest.

Ultimately you have two routes:

1. dry out the inside of the car - no moisture = no fog or ice on the inside.

2. Get the heater working HOT. First thing you need to do is check the engine operating temp. If you aren't getting up to temp then the heater core isn't going to do much. You need to get up to 190 to get good heat and you need good flow through the heater core.

GD

And yea there is a ton of snow inside the car now so i will half to dry that out.

No wonder you glass is fogging up. :rolleyes:

The needle has never gone past 1/4 of the sweep on any sube I've had once the stat and rad was replaced and core flushed. Unless it was crazy hot in the summer and I was pushing it hard up a hill with bad head gaskets, then it would rise to half or more. Even with bad headgaskets, my loylae won't come up more than 1/4 sweep in the winter. But, if it isn't overheating, that extra temp will be nice in the winter, AFTER YOU FLUSH THE CORE AND SHOVEL THE SNOW OUT....:lol:

Oh, and since your rad is rotten anyway, and you intend to replace it later anyway, right?, try flipping the hoses to the core for now and see if it makes a difference.