Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with clutch swap 88 4x4

Tank

Hi,

First time poster here. After several years of wheeling in the Tank, the clutch finally died. I've never been able to come to a stop and not have to push in the clutch before...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We have been working to disconnect the engine, an as far as I can tell we have everything disconnected, but the engine refuses to separate from the transmission. Are there any (engine to tranny) bolts that have to be accessed from under the car? I think we removed 5 bolts/nuts including the long bolt for the starter. Any suggestions about how I can get the engine separated? I've tried searching the forums here and haven't been able to find the info. Any help you can give would be appreciated!

General Disorder, thanks for the putty knife suggestion. It took some work but we finally got the engine out. The lower left pin was really stuck.

The next question is: are the flywheel bolts reverse thread?

I'll try to get some better resolution pics up after we get the Tank back on the road.

None of the bolts are reverse thread, the trick is to use your spanner or bar aimed towards the crank, it helps to stop the engine spinning whilst undoing them.

If they've been in a while, they can take a bit of force, but the torque to do them up isn't that much.

None of the bolts are reverse thread, the trick is to use your spanner or bar aimed towards the crank, it helps to stop the engine spinning whilst undoing them.

If they've been in a while, they can take a bit of force, but the torque to do them up isn't that much.

Dont mistake inch pounds with foot pounds either, i made this mistake after a long day and its not pretty.