Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 Wagon, title, Wa state... totaled question...

Anyone ever reserect a "totaled" vehicle in state of WA.?

Had an 88 dl, wagon that I gifted to a family relation... sadly he was hit from behind and insurance totalled. They wanted to know if I wanted it back and thinking about whacking off the back and do the Brat mod. to it. The gas tank was not damaged, back doors don't open thus just whack the back off and front seat is twisted a bit so need a new one...kid hit him driving his grandpa's turbo Subaru wagon... major crush on the hood etc.. I don't want to see this go to a crusher, (my second roo) but... depends on re-licensing, title etc..

Problem is now that it is a total loss do to collision the below now imply's.

Should you elect to keep the damaged vehicle, we will notify your state Dept. of Licensing that the vehicle was deemed to be a total loss due to collision. You may be required to surrender the title so it can be re-titled as a salvage vehicle. You may need a state police safety inspection. Also, if you keep the wrecked vehicle, even should you repair the damages, your insurer may not be willing to continue to provide collision or comprehensive coverage.

The good news is they got the car gifted it to them, drove it a year and insurance is offering $1,200. which they can use to go find a car .. (cash problems) and I get the wrecked wagon back! Up date down below in yellow:

260_6057.jpg?t=1260943650

260_6005.jpg?t=1260943749

Edited by Indrid cold

i'm not WA state specific but it's not nearly as hard as all the linguistical CYA's make it sound. most of that is just fluff. i did my first one this year and it was really straight forward and simple.

my friends have done a bunch (in another state) and said it wasn't a big deal. i gave it a whirl and it was a cinch. the state had a packet, just follow the rules and get it done. they weren't sticklers either - document with pictures all repairs - i couldn't do that since the major stuff was already repaired, i had no damage pic's. they said that's fine.

the "safety" check included a quick walk around and turning the car on then off to make sure the SRS lights properly lit up and went out. yours doesn't have air bags so no worries there.

it was really simple. just annoying getting an extra inspection and technically it's not road legal first so you have to tow it there - i just drove it because i don't care!

yours looks really simple I tend to think they're looking for really shady and questionable work. this being so minor and an older car isn't subject to that.

Im here in Western Washington and my experience has been good. I had one vehicle with more damage than your wagon. While still perfectly driveable, the state required a state patrol inspection to show that all safety apliances still worked (brake lights, turn signals ect). I surendered the title to the state so they could get me a new one that showed it was totaled. WHen I got the title there was no "mark" on it. IE the title was clean with no mention of the damage. (Which was not repaired). Second car had less damage than yours, state said no inspection was needed no need to send in title ect. So even though the insurance company totaled out the car the state didnt want to "total out the title" All in all pretty easy process.

Hope it helps

MIke

If you decide to fix it, keep all receipts for parts involved since the state inspection will want to see them to insure that no stolen parts were involved in the repair.

We've done this a few times and the inspection is required to re-register the car with the new title. Not a really difficult process.

If you decide to fix it, keep all receipts for parts involved since the state inspection will want to see them to insure that no stolen parts were involved in the repair.

We've done this a few times and the inspection is required to re-register the car with the new title. Not a really difficult process.

Ya, I never repaired any of our cars prior to re-registering them. And none of the damage caused any safety hazards. The one car that had decent damage I repaired it after the re-register inspection, there for no need to prove parts.:grin:

My sister retitled her car several years ago (a 60's DArt) after she was hit in a accident it really was easy. I was suprised. WA state. They make it sound worse then it really is. Hers was much worse then yours almost no trunk left and that was in a car that was real steel. They checked the Frame to make sure it was not damaged and that all the saftey stuff was working.. .lights, tail, head, blinkers. that kind of stuff. Her hard part was getting her money out of the insurance company. they wanted to give her $500 for a car that had a brand new engine and was a classic..(she had over $1500 in parts in the last year in it. then they made her buy it back at scrap value)

Appreciate the input.....

I found out the State Patrol inspection is $65.

Also they will "Gift the car" back to me, so no tax.

It looks like $65 for inspection and $40 or so for re-licensing... so if I want my car back it will cost me about $100.:rolleyes:

Up date: Well, my wife...(any time a guy starts with, "Well, my wife" it can't be good!) ... :banghead: Well, my wife is not happy... and for those who don't understand the balance that exists between her happiness and my existance.. well... lets just say she is not keen to the idea of this wagon making it's way back home... something along the lines of "$100 to buy your own car back WRECKED!" I have a soft spot for that wagon but funds are so tight and Christmas around the corner... I will have to let it go... that DR was a FUN rig.... The rack and tires must stay with it... ?, don't understand that... so it may wind up at auto auction. Might find it at copart.com or it may go straight to a crusher.... sad....

Edited by Indrid cold

QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the "Gift Car" thing is a one time opportunity here in Washington.

If so,you'd be better off waiting till someone wants to Gift you something that is worth some real $....

QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the "Gift Car" thing is a one time opportunity here in Washington.

If so,you'd be better off waiting till someone wants to Gift you something that is worth some real $....

^

It can't be done twice consecutively. Other than that, it's ok.

Actually it Can...

They fought me on it at the licensing agency, so I went to the Actual DOL, and they said it was fine as long as you can prove that no money was exchanged. I.E. Written Notarized statements, Or both persons present. There should be no Reason that you could give a friend a car, And then that person gives it back to you. no tax either way... and if they say you must, Argue.

(long story But goes to my very argumentative and anti Government days. Oh Wait I'm still in that faze.:lol:)

^

I'm gonna stick with actual LAW here. Enough whining will get a governement worker to do pretty much anything, after all; most of them are community college dropouts that deal with idiots all day. The law however is that a vehicle cannot be gifted twice consecutively. I'm gonna go with the law as far as something being attainable predictably, and consistently.

Gifting a Vehicle

http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/title-transfers.php

If you're giving a vehicle as a gift, whether to a family member or friend, you need to:

• Have the giver sign off in the seller’s area of the title, noting mileage if the car’s 10 years old or newer.
  • Have the giver provide verification that the vehicle's sales tax has been paid if you have owned the car less than seven years, so you won’t have to pay tax again.
  • Have the giver provide a "Letter of Gift" stating his intent along with the vehicle's description, your name, your signature, and the date
  • Take all of this evidence to a vehicle licensing office and complete a Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Application.
  • There is no use tax due on gifts.
  • Pay a title transfer fee of $15.50, plus any other fees that might be due at registration. Contact the office to find out the exact cost and whether you need more documentation.

The vehicle can only be given as a gift every other time it passes hands.

Even If you cannot Gift it twice the cost of lisencing a almost free vehicle (100) is about the same as a gift vehicle. I just lisenced a 65 dart that the person SAID I paid them $150 for and it was only around $30. Yes that is double $15 but you cannot beat it for a almost free vehicle. It would almost pay you to get it inspected and sell it.. There is a vehicle with more damage on criegs list right now. that the owner is asking I think $500 for (older subaru in seattle/tacoma creigslist) you might have trouble getting that but you should at least be able to sell it for $300 I sold a NON RUNNING bonneville 1995 with a blown tranny and 300,000 miles for that not to long ago it needed about $3000 or more in PARTS not including labor) You could at least get $150 for the roof rack..I would almost be interested in it for $300 don't need another vehicle though we have too many already.

^

It can't be done twice consecutively. Other than that, it's ok.

I'm not so much talking about the car as I am the recipient of the Gift car.

I had a vehicle gifted to me and remember destictly the conversation with the DOL lady.

She said I was fortunate as I had saved about $1400 in use/sales tax because of the Gift option. She also said it was the one and only time I'd ever be able to claim a vehicle as a gift.

But,that was about eight years ago. It could be different now.