Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed swap tomarrow

so tomarrow I am going to yank the 4 speed out and put in a 5 speed in my ea81 wheeler toy.Are there any tips to making it go smoothly and with the least amount of stress?

Pulled the transmission out of an 85 at the junkyard.It had a locked colum and I took apart the shifter before undoing the axles so it ended up being very stressful.

Although I am wondering if I should wait to take it apart until the the new throwout bearing gets here...(4 days out)

I suppose I could fix the blown front axle while waiting for parts...

so tomarrow I am going to yank the 4 speed out and put in a 5 speed in my ea81 wheeler toy.

Although I am wondering if I should wait to take it apart until the the new throwout bearing gets here...(4 days out)

I suppose I could fix the blown front axle while waiting for parts...

Do you ever really know what you are going to do, or are you just so obsessed with making new posts that your conscience can't get a word in edgewise? Sometime you should try listening to all of those other voices rambling in your head. One of them might know something.

If the throwout bearing is "4 days out"; you aren't going to "yank the 4 speed out and put in a 5 speed "TOMARROW"". Not with a new throwout bearing anyways.

Other than that, my only advice is to DO IT. You will learn all the stuff you want to know once you have the old one out, and are trying to put the new one in. I promise.

man, and i thought I was a grammar nazi! you guys are ruthless!

Im in the process of a 5spd d/r swap into my 92 loyale. got the donor trans out today, it was sure a learning experience never really having done anything this involved before. its pretty damn fun!

no it is not pirate 4x4.

but it is grow up and do your own research then mod your ************ land..........

if you asked or posed valid things that were conducive to your cause....i am sure you would get less flak.but it is obvious that you have rubbed some of us the wrong way.....either deal with it , or don't...

Alright! enough bashing on me!What the hell is this Pirate4x4?

I was just wondering because I pulled everything from the pull and save.It took 4 hours just to get the damn transmission out because everything that could go wrong did.It was very stressful.I was asking for any tips that would either help with the transmission coming out or going back in.

However,I guess that because I make a few what if posts i am not eligible to receive a nice answer like "undo the CV's first" or some other thing.

the steering was locked? why didn't you just knock out the tie rod ends and made life 200% easier on yourself?

my suggestion. organization. wait for your bearing then swap. you are getting ahead of yourself, and well... your being dumb to be blunt.

the steering was locked? why didn't you just knock out the tie rod ends and made life 200% easier on yourself?

my suggestion. organization. wait for your bearing then swap. you are getting ahead of yourself, and well... your being dumb to be blunt.

It just took so long because of all sorts of issues like the steering,the engine not separating from the transmission,etc..

Edited by Uberoo

OMG! The engine wouldn't seperate from transmission?!?!? Geez, I had no idea. I'm sure if we'd all known that we wouldn't have been so tough on you. Why, if pulling a transmission had ever presented a problem to any of the rest of us I'm sure we all would have just curled up in a ball and wept ourselves to sleep.

I'll send you a clue. Things are tough when you don't know how to do them. It's going to be that way with pretty much everything until you actually go DO IT a couple of times. Pretty much everyone here that has actually ever attempted anything has had a few situations where something just didn't want to cooperate. It's called gaining experience, and you obviously have YEARS of gaining ahead of you. Sitting on the internet asking for tips isn't going to prepare you for the real life situations that you are going to encounter. Sorry, but, you can ask all the stupid questions you want, and wait like a hungry little birdy with your mouth open for people to feed you answers. That will never make you capable of a damn thing. The sooner you learn that, the better.

Even worse than this is the fact that you can't even research the answers yourself. Open the search box, and just start trying different crap. There are people in this world that have made damn good livings not by knowing how to do things, but, by knowing how to find information on how to do those things. You seem to have neither skill in spades. At some point you are going to have to learn one of them.

OMG! The engine wouldn't seperate from transmission?!?!? Geez, I had no idea. I'm sure if we'd all known that we wouldn't have been so tough on you. Why, if pulling a transmission had ever presented a problem to any of the rest of us I'm sure we all would have just curled up in a ball and wept ourselves to sleep.

I'll send you a clue. Things are tough when you don't know how to do them. It's going to be that way with pretty much everything until you actually go DO IT a couple of times. Pretty much everyone here that has actually ever attempted anything has had a few situations where something just didn't want to cooperate. It's called gaining experience, and you obviously have YEARS of gaining ahead of you. Sitting on the internet asking for tips isn't going to prepare you for the real life situations that you are going to encounter. Sorry, but, you can ask all the stupid questions you want, and wait like a hungry little birdy with your mouth open for people to feed you answers. That will never make you capable of a damn thing. The sooner you learn that, the better.

Even worse than this is the fact that you can't even research the answers yourself. Open the search box, and just start trying different crap. There are people in this world that have made damn good livings not by knowing how to do things, but, by knowing how to find information on how to do those things. You seem to have neither skill in spades. At some point you are going to have to learn one of them.

Cant we all just get along? lol

207157_100_1_350_550.jpg