Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry i don't know if this is the right place to post,

but im 17 and not driving yet but was given a

91 Subaru m80? i think its called, for nothing basically.

And i have not got a clue what it is, basically all i know is its

a subaru... is it worth anything? is it worth learning how to drive in?

Being used as a 1st time car? or fit for a scrap yard? Haa

can someone please tell me anything they know.

it wouldnt have been one of the cars i would have chosen,

but when your given it you have no choice hahaa

i will get pics up soon if that helps?

Trust me, if it is drivable you will love it, is it a 2 wheel drive model or 4 wheel /AWD model?

The Subaru,is by far one of the best riding best handleing cars I have ever driven. I am on my 5th one now. I am almost 48 but I still love to play,and let me tell you, you can have fun with a Subaru. some of the things these guys are doing to these cars will surpise you. everything from off roading to autocross races.

not to mention the independent suspension really makes these cars handle well.

I have a beat up 1990 legacy L wagon. I use it to tow my lawn care trailer. last summer on my way home from a job I ran into a major thunderstorm. A rotted tree fell in front of me and i could not stop before hitting it.

I slammed into the tree at about 35 m.p.h. weight of trailer was pushing me. the car cut thru the tree and pushed a chunk of it a bit wider then the car about 40 feet before i got stopped. I got out and pushed the tree out of my way and drove home, thinking man I just know I broke something.

got home,pulled the car in the shop and all I found was a few scratches on the Bumper. it did not knock a light out or mess up the grill.

you have a very good safe car to learn to drive it.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Edited by Animal_Gso

even if it is just 2 wheel drive, it will be a good car to learn in. my car has 290.000 miles on it and has just now started to give me some problems.

also they get great gas milage when I first got my wagon I wanted to see how far I could go on a full tank of gas. I carried a spare can of gas with me and darn if I was not able to drive 400 miles before I refilled it.

post some pics some time and let us see what ya got.

I am new also so I can't post pics yet my self,but I hope to get to play in the snow later today. they are calling for 4" of snow today here in Greensboro n.c.

A Subaru is the perfect "first car"! I taught both of my stepdaughters, my grandson and 2 other teens how to drive in Subarus. They handle great, they're fun, they're cheap to insure, and they are very reliable. Most of those "kids" still drive a Subaru because they just love the cars so much.

Look on the back of the car: does it say Legacy or Loyale, or something like GL10? That will help us figure out which one you have.

Good luck and have fun (safely) with your first car!

2 door or 4 door?

wagon or sedan?

auto or manual trans?

how long has it been since some one drove it? how often was it driven?

if it has been sitting a long time it may need a lot of work, but still probably worth it. if it has been a daily driver, it should be great with regular maintenance.

Thanks for all the help...

2 door or 4 door? 4 door

wagon or sedan? Am not sure?

auto or manual trans? Manual

how long has it been since some one drove it? it was driven as a daily car

This is it...

DSCF4046.jpg

DSCF4047.jpg

even if it is just 2 wheel drive, it will be a good car to learn in. my car has 290.000 miles on it and has just now started to give me some problems.

also they get great gas milage when I first got my wagon I wanted to see how far I could go on a full tank of gas. I carried a spare can of gas with me and darn if I was not able to drive 400 miles before I refilled it.

post some pics some time and let us see what ya got.

I am new also so I can't post pics yet my self,but I hope to get to play in the snow later today. they are calling for 4" of snow today here in Greensboro n.c.

this one only has 63,000 i think..

Ok thank you.

i posted pictures there now :)

OMG!!! It's...it's...it's a JUSTY!

OK, serious advice. It can be a great little car, but you absolutely have to maintain the oil changes...religiously. Do NOT let the oil get low at all, and never, ever let it overheat.

Other than that, they are fun, zippy little cars.

Awww - it's Cute!! :) definitely different than what we see over here in the USA, but it is still a Subaru!

So, Welcome to the greatest Subaru site on the net! You will find that your little Subaru can be very reliable with just a little TLC. I was converted nearly 10 years ago and havent looked back yet! :grin:

Awww - it's Cute!! :) definitely different than what we see over here in the USA, but it is still a Subaru!

So, Welcome to the greatest Subaru site on the net! You will find that your little Subaru can be very reliable with just a little TLC. I was converted nearly 10 years ago and havent looked back yet! :grin:

because i had no idea whether it was a good or bad car!

Hahaa yeah lots of TLC!

OMG!!! It's...it's...it's a JUSTY!

OK, serious advice. It can be a great little car, but you absolutely have to maintain the oil changes...religiously. Do NOT let the oil get low at all, and never, ever let it overheat.

Other than that, they are fun, zippy little cars.

Awh thanks for the advice :D will try my best anyway!

is that miles or kilometers? 63,000 is nothing.

it is probably 2wd, i don't see any awd emblems.

but it is SUPER DELUXE.!!

Its 63,000 miles ! yeah thats not alot!

Hahaa so super deluxe is good yeah :P

hahaha thanks for the advice and comments everyone!

keep them coming, any tips or anything much appreciated

or anything that should be done to it? all opinions welcome!

Love this site already :D

May change my name to Sharleen_m80 haha

was not sure wether to keep it or not at first!

but i think i will now :D cheers!

Do you know if it's an automatic or manual transmission? Manual would be best - if it's got the automatic hopefully it's not the ECVT automatic - those were a bit of a problem.

The biggest problem with the Justy engines is the oil pump - if you have someone capable that can tinker a bit - a good addition would be an oil pressure gauge if it doesn't have one.

It would be a great idea to start using synthetic oil in it, and good quality filters.

Otherwise - nice little cars. Great gas mileage too (well - by US standards anyway). Looks like you folks have your share of mini-cars unlike here.

GD

Is that the 3 cylinder one?

I raced a guy in a 3 cyl Justy in the snow back when I was in high school with my Ford Festiva. Classic kodak moment! :lol: We got to about 20 and almost hit each other, then quit because we were both laughing too hard.

I think I'd expect at least 40mpg out of a little car like that. Should be a fun learner though. Just don't tear it up too much. :)

Do you know if it's an automatic or manual transmission? Manual would be best - if it's got the automatic hopefully it's not the ECVT automatic - those were a bit of a problem.

The biggest problem with the Justy engines is the oil pump - if you have someone capable that can tinker a bit - a good addition would be an oil pressure gauge if it doesn't have one.

It would be a great idea to start using synthetic oil in it, and good quality filters.

Otherwise - nice little cars. Great gas mileage too (well - by US standards anyway). Looks like you folks have your share of mini-cars unlike here.

GD

Its manual yeah, ah thanks for that :) Yeah we sure do have

loads of smaller cars.

Decal on hatch lid says 5 speed. This will be a good car on how to learn to drive a stick shift.

Cool thanks :)

Is that the 3 cylinder one?

I raced a guy in a 3 cyl Justy in the snow back when I was in high school with my Ford Festiva. Classic kodak moment! :lol: We got to about 20 and almost hit each other, then quit because we were both laughing too hard.

I think I'd expect at least 40mpg out of a little car like that. Should be a fun learner though. Just don't tear it up too much. :)

Im not sure to be honest,

and hahaa thats deadly say that was funny alright!

I won't :D

Its 63,000 miles ! yeah thats not alot!

63,000 miles on a Subaru is NOTHING! with proper care & maintenance they can easily do over 200,000 miles - some even manage to get over 300,000! :banana:

my old GL wagon got to 265,000 before i took it off the road due to rust - motor still ran great & probably could have gone well over 300K! Granted it was a 4 cyl, not a 3, but i see no reason why your little Subie cant get many, many more miles if you take care of it. :)