Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need your opinions on 04 Forester XT

Hello looking at a sliver 2004 Forester with the turbo, automatic transmission, leather interior, 92K miles, 3 month warranty at a local Mopar dealer for $10,000. Very clean inside and out and engine sounds quiet and smooth. 1st. what is the reliability and what maintenance and parts does the turbo require ? Most local gas stations here in Western Pa. have 87, 89 and 93 Octane gas can you use any grade ? He has no information on if the Timing or serpitine belts have been changed so, I'm thinking of telling him to replace these 2 belts and we have a deal so, are aftermarket belts ok ? Anything else we should look at ? Thank you for any help ! Chuck S.

You'll love it. The auto's are great in these and the motor is very reliable. You will have to run at least 91 octane in it, the turbos don't like the lesser grade. It would be a good idea to use synthetic oil when doing oil changes, other than that, the maintenance is about the same as any other Subaru. Timing belt is due at 100k, so yeah try to get him to do it. It's not a bad price, but it could be better, so if you can get that stuff to be done, it would be better for you. It doesn't have serpentine belts, it has the same old 2 belts on the front, and then the timing belt behind the cover.

definitely have the timing belt replaced, it's due in 8,000 miles and runs $700 at the dealer.

$10,000 for a 100,000 mile 04? that sounds high but i haven't looked either. that dealer is making a killing on the car at that price.

having them do the timing belt as part of the "deal" likely means you're going to get the cheapest and worst possible timing belt job you can get, basically just the belt and that's it. . you can guess with 99% certainty he's not going to check or look at any of the timing pulleys or tensioner. it is very rare to open one up and not need any pulleys replaced - the toothed idler pulley is the most common to need replaced. you want this thing to go another 100,000 if you're buying it now - make sure the job is done right.

big issue is head gaskets on the Foresters, I am on a Forester Forum and it is not a matter of if you will blow a head gasket, but when.

head gaskets are a bigger issue then the belts and run about $1,600 to have done at a shop.

I am looking for one my self, but a non turbo model.

also that price is a bit high. look on autotrader.com and you will find foresters all day long for $8,000

hope this helps ya some.

let me know if you want the link to the forester forum.

it is crazy what some of these guys are doing with them. :)

^Headgaskets are not an issue on the turbo Foresters. I'm not saying it's never happened, but as a rule, the N/A 2.5's are the ones with the issues, and not the turbo'd ones.

Oh and book value on mine with 78k on it and it's a 5spd is 11,500, it will be a bit less for the mileage on this one, and the fact it's an auto. I paid 9500 for mine

big issue is head gaskets on the Foresters, I am on a Forester Forum and it is not a matter of if you will blow a head gasket, but when.

head gaskets are a bigger issue then the belts and run about $1,600 to have done at a shop.

This post is all wrong in a lot of ways, rather than mention all the various ways that's incorrect I'd ignore that entire post for making this decision. None of it is relevant, true or helpful anyway for the vehicle you're looking at. (not trying to be mean, this guys just looking to make a purchase decision). Edited by grossgary

This post is all wrong in a lot of ways, rather than mention all the various ways that's incorrect I'd ignore that entire post for making this decision. None of it is relevant, true or helpful anyway for the vehicle you're looking at. (not trying to be mean, this guys just looking to make a purchase decision).

+1 ^..I'm glad you caught that Gary....I was about to type out a long drawn out post....:lol:

Thank you for the replies ! The dealer let us take it home for the weekend, wow what a difference the turbo makes over all the non turbo Subarus that I have owned. We drove it probably 30 some miles in some nasty winter condition and even hit some No-Winter Maintenance roads :). When we got home we pulled it in a non heated garage to unload the groceries and all of a sudden the the garage was filled with a cloud of smoke and a different sorta smell..... I crawled under neath and open the hood to find nothing smoking or leaking ? I took it back out for a drive and watched the temp gauge and it was just below half then, pulled it back in the garage and let it run while checking and could not find any leaks or smoke ? Now I'm nervous..... B.T.W. Edmunds retail is $11597 and NADA is $11875.00 Thanks again !

This post is all wrong in a lot of ways, rather than mention all the various ways that's incorrect I'd ignore that entire post for making this decision. None of it is relevant, true or helpful anyway for the vehicle you're looking at. (not trying to be mean, this guys just looking to make a purchase decision).

Very well said!! Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great ! I ran the car 200+ miles and wow, it runs like a top ! The visibility of the road is super and on our bumpy roads the ride is firm but, not harsh. Would it be best when putting a new timing belt to replace all the idlers, the noisy ones or just the toothed idler ?

Here is my advice. If you want the car negotiate the best possible price, then pay a dealer or competent well-recommended independent to do the timing belt/water pump/thermostat/idlers/tensioner. And, at that mileage you're probably well to do plugs and wires too.

My number one rule on buying a used car: insist on the name of the previous owner, then call to inquire about problems. If the used-car lot or in your case Mopar dealer is unwilling or claims they are 'not allowed' to provide that information, walk away.

Edited by J A Blazer
clarify

I think i would recommend this: ask the mechanic to replace any that are noisy or not smooth.

There's no hard and fast rules and the risk of it breaking if you leave all the existing idlers is very, very tiny. I just tend to be on the anal side and will avoid really small risk. that certainly isn't a necessity.

The newer cars tend to have decent idlers, so it's a bit of a stretch to say you "must" replace. I replaced one on my friends 2002 Legacy the other week and the idlers were fine - at 230,000 miles too.

For a $10,000 car a few hundred dollars for new pulleys and a gauranteed 100,000 miles (until the next timing belt) doesn't sound that bad either. But it's expensive and the risk is very low if you don't - just depends how you view risk and if the extra expense if worth that small amount of risk.

offer him 7500$ or 8000$ and when he says no, walk away. i garrantee he will call you back. he wants to sell the car and if he is letting people drive it for the weekend it's not going to sell out from under you on the same day. you can always go back and offer full asking price.

i doubt seriously he has 8k invested in it.

offer him 7500$ or 8000$ and when he says no, walk away. i garrantee he will call you back. he wants to sell the car and if he is letting people drive it for the weekend it's not going to sell out from under you on the same day. you can always go back and offer full asking price.

i doubt seriously he has 8k invested in it.

The car has been on his Lot for around 3 months and my wife kept saying how sharp it was so, after getting my 1992 Full sized Blazer out for the winter and putting gas in it for a couple weeks I decided maybe it was time. I aready asked him for his best price without a trade and he said 10k. B.T.W. window stickerm shows M.S.R.P. was $29275.00 in 2004 !

Here is an email I got from my Wanted ad ! :) !

Good day dear Chuck S

I am Mr Liberon Mario, from liverpool uk,i came across your advert on website that you are in need of the above subject stated,i just want to use this little words of mine to let you know that i have it for sale(new and used), please get back to me asap,so we can bargain price and i will need your complete address for shipping purpose, please i only need a serious buyer and i only accept Western union money transfer mode of payment.You can call me on +447011141314 or send me an email for further discussion.i await your quick response.

Regards

Mr liberon mario

Online Sales Representative

Liverpool,uk.

Edited by Vmax540