Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket remedy? Steel Seal..Also w/pump replacement

Just seen the ad for this & was wondering if anyone has used it & how good does it work...or not work... I have a 94 Turbo Wagon that may have blown head gaskets...It also has a bad waterpump & I was wondering what the w/pump repair entails & what else I should replace while doing the w/pump

Thanks to all & Happy Holidays ! :)

Take the money that it will cost for that "fix" and burn it. It will be far more useful in the light and heat that it gives off then that fix.

The only true fix is new HG's.

Waterpump, the usual . cam seals, main seal idlers tensioner.

nipper

Not to beat a dead horse, but NEVER, EVER use any of those seal-a-leak products in a Subaru! EVER!!! They will do nothing except totally screw up what's left of your cooling system and plug up the new water pump.

Also, Subaru radiators are famous for corroding from the inside-out. Have it pressure/flow checked thoroughly. A bad radiator has caused more problems for Subarus than all the water pumps put together.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

on one hand, throw whatever you want in it as it sounds like good maintenance is not part of this vehicles life.

"may" have bad headgaskets. find out exactly what is wrong, then proceed with the proper replacement of the failed parts. sealants are undesirable and generally not considered good long term fixes.

considering you have a motor that's easy to get another 60,000 reliable miles out of cheaply and easily it's a good idea to fix it right as soon as possible. it costs money but so does a new car or another used car.

Just seen the ad for this & was wondering if anyone has used it & how good does it work...or not work... I have a 94 Turbo Wagon that may have blown head gaskets...It also has a bad waterpump & I was wondering what the w/pump repair entails & what else I should replace while doing the w/pump

Thanks to all & Happy Holidays ! :)

DON'T USE IT! I did it and I am chasing a problem with fans cycling and loss of power till I swap out this motor. The EJ22T is closed deck and the ports will clog very easily. I very very much doubt you have a headgasket problem. Replace the pump with a OEM one from the dealer, use the OEM metal gasket, and a OEM thermostat and a OEM cap to!!

Flush out your rad to with water when you remove it to do the pump belt etc.

• 1 year later...

SteelSeal is a little different than other HG magic sauce. I've used it to seal an HG in a Mazda and it is still not leaking after 3 years and 50K miles. No radiator plugging. I agree that the true fix is to replace the HGs but on an old car with limited life remaining I'd rather spend 100 that 5~600 for HG. Depends a lot on your love for the car too. I've had the HGs changed twice in my Forester, next time it will be steelseal and drive till it drops.

i have use the 'liquid glass' block sealers with successful results.

But i only recommend it to buy you time to do a proper repair.

i would suggest pulling the engine and doing all the hoses, and seals. The time it takes to pull the engine will save time on the rest of the work. The otor i fairly easy to pull, much easier than it looks.