Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake rotor choice: Brembo or Subaru OEM?

OK, I am in need of brake rotors.

Now, I am a whore for Subaru, so OEM to me = GOD.

But I'm running low on cash, and it appears that the Brembo replacement rotors are actually cheaper than the OEM Subaru stuff, wtf :eek:

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (15" wheels)

subarulegacy2ndgenoemvb.jpg

The Brembo is set at $60 per front rotor, the Subaru genuine part costs about $75 per front rotor.

Does anyone have any experience with the Brembos? I know Brembo is indeed a performance manufacturer of brake parts, systems, and components but I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this.

Very popular choice in the VW/Audi crowd who generally consider themselves "driving enthusiests".

I've used them myself on VW's. Usually paired with Mintex pads (red box).

Definately a major manufacturer - not a fly by night.

Have worked well for me on early 2000's VW's.

On Suby's I use a variety of rotors and Wagner Thermo-Queit pads Anymore I usually just end up getting Advance Auto's best rotors. I used to get the "Quality" brand chinese but had some issues with some of my own vehicles with them. I always got the best pads (without getting exotic). And since Bendix and Raybestos seem to be getting more difficult to get and pricey I typically get the ones from Advance.

It's really a personal choice. Almost like the oil wars. By the time a car is worn out you finally figure out what parts worked best.

OT - but for instance. On my 2001 VW Golf Diesel. OEM fronts lasted 100k, rears 60k (typical for VW).

But I'll concentrate on the fronts.

OEM 100k.

Brembo 60k

Chinese (with old pads for first time in my life - pads were only half worn, I scufed them, made sure they were flat, etc) 11k

Went back to OEM. Ironically The pricing on these parts was consistent with the miles of service.

OEM 100k 100.00

Brembo 60k 60.00

Chinese 11k 12.50

Just boils down to how many times you want to do the job. And other than the one time I pointed to here I always replace rotors and pads at the same time so when rotors wear out you gotta add the cost of the pads.

Good luck.

gobs of opinion and options here, so it's hard to choose. did that tire-rack or whatever site you looked at have reviews, maybe those would help?

Subaru rotors are pointless. Subaruoutback.org and nasioc have tremendous discussions on brake components, might want to check there. folks here are more practical and less emo and anal.

have your existing rotors turned? shop across the street from my office does it for $15. not sure how it's worth their time but works for me!

funny thing, my mechanic did my rotors/pads a few months ago. I have had to bring the car back 2 more times (including today) for crazy pulsating braking and they are redoing the rotors again (different brand this time, again). Gonna find out what they put on there, but is it normal for the suby legacy wagon 1999's to be picky on the rotors??

but is it normal for the suby legacy wagon 1999's to be picky on the rotors??
EJ vehicles are notorious for warping rotors (even stock Subaru rotors), loosing wheel bearings, and other things. There's another thread where GD and I talk about the propensity of EJ's to warp rotors. Make sure your wheels and hub surfaces are all clean and free of rust, grime, corrossion, build up.

Alright, I ordered the Brembo front rotors since I am too low on cash to pay about an extra $30 for genuine Subaru rotors. Ordered them from tirerack (for whoever posted another site, I didn't feel that the price difference was enough for me to try it).

It's expected to arrive just before the end of the year. Can't wait to install them! My front rotors are just begging to be changed!

I'll see for myself if they last as long as the OEM rotors or not. I hope they do last as long as the OEMs, although I do have my doubts.

But really, I'm looking forward to:

* installing new rotors

* having THE BRAND [brembo] of rotors race teams trust (but not the actual racing rotors)

* testing if the Brembo rotors make my car stop any shorter

Shame, have ordered blanks from importrp for almost 10 yrs without problems. Only money i guess.

I think you'll be dissapointed if you're really expecting brembo blanks to stop you faster than OEM.

Oh, I'll order stuff from them next time I want some parts. Tirerack does have a lot of stuff, but it obviously doesn't offer as many products as importrp.

Also, I don't really expect shorter stopping distances, I'm just hoping for it :lol:

Brembos are an excellent product. Probably the one aftermarket I would use on any of my Subarus. I would still recommend the Subaru pads with them however.

In fact, there are a couple of newer Sub models on which Brembo is the "Stock OEM" part. (Don't remember which however...old age is setting in :mad: )

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

I intend to run the OEM Subaru pads. Unless I find another Subaru racing team-associated brake brand...

And as for Brembo being OEM rotors for Subarus, isn't it only the STI that has been using Brembo components? :confused:

Recently I replaced my stock brakes on my '05 Legacy GT (all four) with drilled & slotted rotors from these people:

http://www.r1concepts.com/

Used a set of Hawk HPS pads, difference was amazing, but not cheap. Break-in procedure was a pain, but after 5000 miles it still impresses. Don't know about wear, that's never my priority when it comes to brakes.