Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheel grinding

so i did my bearings yesterday on the passenger front because they sounded like they were rubbing/grinding. It was an easy replacement, cleaned the assembly, packed the bearings blah blah the way its supposed to be done.

My question is - before I did the replacement, the wheel sounded like it was rubbing wrong on the brakes (some clicking sounds and pulling to the passenger side while applying the brake) I was thinking that replacing the bearings would fix this problem. did i replace the wrong thing? Everything is strait, tight and clean. Plenty of grease but not too much packed in there.. am I missing something?

-Justin

• 3 weeks later...

I still am having this issue. The grinding, sometimes, gets louder. I got a couple videos. its only when stopping that you can hear the grinding.. anyone???:confused::confused::confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKRwDLYR8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8GTrzgtXM0

you can only hear it when stopping. particularly when applying the brake..

I double checked the calipers and pads.. both pads are in decent shape.. the router seems alright too.. nothing grinding away at it.. :confused:

-Justin

I will take a picture of the hub nut and washer stuff tomorrow. The washers didn't look bad at all. I did the CV axle on that side recently too (it was rubbing this same way even before i replaced the CV). I Replaced the CV thinking that the axle was on its way out, it snaped anyway so i figured well hey perfect time to replace it. Didn't make much of a change, if any. So I replaced the bearings, both the inner and outter, same thing - No change. I inspected the old bearings and they were actually in pretty decent shape. no real abnormal wear at all, spun ok, the carrier bearing was in good shape too.. and nothing had any heat cracks or even any discoloration at all..

-Justin

I'm almost positive its the front passenger side. That's where all the sound comes from at least. If i have the windows down and drive past something I hear it on that side. (least louder on that side).. and while braking it sounds louder on the floorboard by that fender.:-\

I thought maybe the rim could be insanely out of balance? or maybe even bent? It would explain the vibration... but I only get the vibration while braking.. and not while driving strait.

I donno.. I was half tempted to just replace the rotors and pads here in a couple weeks (payday) and start from there.. Checker's has a deal on rotors for $20/each.. least online. I just hate throwing new parts at a problem and not finding the actual problem ya know?

-Justin

I would have a couple friends stand on oposite sides of the street, listening as I drove between them while braking. That would help determine where noise is coming from, front/rear, left/right sides.

I listened to the vids, but really couldn't determine the noise. Do hear a sorta clunking sound though, and seems to be a once a rotation thing.

Is there any movement of the steering wheel when this happens? Any pulsing in the brake pedal?

I would think a bent rim is out of the equation here. It would have to be bent badly to actually rub on anything, (or so I think), and be fairly obvious that it was bent. Also, there would be markings from where it was rubbing on whatever it was rubbing on.

And as GD mentioned, check your rear brakes also. I've had some strange noises come from the rears on the BRATs. They just needed adjusting, but the noises they made sounded way bad.

Yes and Yes. There is a motion in the wheel while braking. As well as a bit of pulsing in the petal. I was going to try and get another vid when i got to work but now (oh the fun continues) neither are happening, when i soft brake or when i hard brake.

I just went out and tried again and couldn't get the wheel shaking but i did a walk around the car while it was going and was able to get a bit of clicking. It was coming from the passenger front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgkvxHhtMso

-Justin

Shaking steering wheel & pulsing brake pedal would indicate a bad rotor, more than likely warped, also possibly a cracked one at that. The crack would give you the "clicking" sound as it went thru the pads.

edit;

Also, pull that wheel then the bolt that holds the caliper and swing the caliper up on the slider pin. See if there's any play in that pin itself. Just had to do that on the rear discs on the BRAT. Had some strange noises that I couldn't figure out. Found that slider pin was loose in the mount. Swapped caliper/mount out, we be good.

Edited by TomRhere
more info

• 3 weeks later...

Well, last Tuesday I replaced both rotors and Pads on the 'roo. for the first couple days seemed great, stopped strait, no shaking, stopped hard too :).

Then, today, I was coming home from work and I hear the same clicking/popping. not as often though. but it shakes the steering too again.

I've replaced the rotors, Pads, CV axle, what else could it be?

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to bring this up again.. but I'm getting the same clicking and shaking as i was getting a while ago. I was hoping that buying new rotors and pads would fix it but it seems like it didnt do much at all.

Anyone got any ideas as to what else i could do? This car is seriously starting to Irritate the crap out of me .. HELP!!

-Justin

I cant for the life of me think of anything else but i know its all good. everything is strait, cleaned. Both bearings are new, packed. hub was cleaned before being put back on, new CV, Brand new rotors, pads are new.

I was thinking maybe alignment was off.. but that wouldnt make much sense either.. i'm really at a loss. If I put a new-ish hub on there how would it change?

-Justin