Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FWD manual transmission

Question, How do you tell if a FWD trans is a 4 or 5 speed? I have some, but the model numbers and serial numbers have been removed and I don't have a clue what they came out of. The starters all mount on the driver's side if that is any help.

Thanks, carl

Well - as far as anyone knows, they made the STD hatch till '89 and they started using the side-starter EA71's somewhere in there (I have seen these for certain). So out there somewhere, is a side-starter 4 speed 2WD tranmission to go with it unless at that time they also discontinued the 4 speed's.....

That would be a pretty rare item though considering it would only be later '80's STD hatch's that got them and they also made a 4 speed, single range 4WD STD hatch as well as some with 5 speed's (I think)..... so who knows.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am going to check if I can shift it through the gears. Also I think that these transmissions came from EA-81 engines. I bought the trans and a couple of years later I bought all the engines that the trans came from. What he had was a bunch of JDM stuff.

thanks again, Carl