Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have two Imprezas that both have the same problem. They both blow the low beam bulb ( either side ) on a regular basis. They are an 06 and an 07 and I have tried factory Subaru and aftermarket bulbs to no avail.

They tend to burn them out in 4 to 6 weeks on average.

I have taken them to the dealer and they say that they can't find anything wrong that is obvious. I have checked the sockets and they still look good and the bulb is always replaced with a premium bulb and use dielectric grease in the socket. These are the standard Halogen headlights not the HID's.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so what did you do about it because I am getting tired of spending $15 to $25 every 4 to 8 weeks.

Thank you in advance for any help.

I assume the shop checked the DC voltage while the engine was running at around 2,000 RPM and found no trouble. They may have overlooked checking for excessive AC voltage ripple though. If there is more than .1 volt of AC ripple voltage you need to replace the alternator.

Are you changing the bulbs; or is the dealer? Halogen bulbs don't like moisture...causes the quartz to crack which then burns out the bulb. Also check for moisture getting into the headlight which could cause the same failure.

Cougar's advice on checking the alternator voltage is good. Get a decent voltmeter and check the output of the alternator at 2K and 5K....it should never go above 14.6VDC; anything above that is suspect. Also check the ac voltage for ripple as advised.

Lastly, check the voltage at the battery the same way as on the alternator. If anything, the voltages (AC and DC) should be the same or slightly less. The battery acts as a large capacitor on the alternator. If the battery is going bad it might not be filtering the AC out of the alternator current.

Edited by edrach

I've been a professional mechanic for almost 40 years and yes I do own a GOOD DMM a Fluke and it reports good voltage at both the alt and the bat. My Snap on scanner reports the same voltage.

I do use Latex gloves when handling the bulbs and use dielectric grease in the sockets. As far as I can tell no moisture is getting in.

Partially what I am looking for is anyone else who is having the same problem. It seems kind of funny that I bought 2 brand new cars about a year apart and within 2 months the factory low beams went out on both cars and at least one bulb has gone out every 4 to 8 weeks and I need to see if it is a problem that needs to be taken to Subaru or if I am just having bad luck.

I've got an '06 Impreza that has gone through a set of bulbs every 6-8 months, but I also do a fair amount of dirt and rough road driving with the car for rallying so I've never thought badly of it. I've never seen anykind of failure other than broken filaments. Keep in mind that what see as an arc betweeen the terminals is 99.9% likely caused by the broken filament bouncing around. It takes hundreds to thousands of volts to arc across even a .1" gap.

Where are you getting your aftermarket bulbs and what brand are they? I happen to be located very close to http://www.rallylights.com so as I have had bulbs go I've been replacing them with high quality HELLA bulbs. 3 months ago I installed Hella Yellowstar stock wattage fog light bulbs, and this past weekend I installed the Hella High Perfomance Xenon bulbs, all stock wattage. I had been buying Sylvania stuff at my local autoparts store but thought it was time to try something else. I'm hoping to get a year out of these sets.

After talking to a Subaru Rep about this I was informed that yes this is a problem and no they don't have a fix yet except to replace the whole headlight assembly. He said that in most cases this fixes the problem.

So to anybody else out there that is having the same problem and the car is still under warranty you need to contact your dealer service manager or district rep to get anything done. They don't have a recall on this yet so if it is not still under warranty it is not covered. Also if you buy factory bulbs they are warrantied for 1 year from purchase.

how do you afford to buy new ones that often?

You said warranty covers a headlight housing replacement, or is that something owner must pay?

wonder what is wrong with them to burn out so often but thought it only applied to MY2005 both legacy and outback

Edited by bheinen74

Like I said if it is under warranty the only fix they have come up with is housing repacement and it is not a recall yet so you have to find a good service manager or area rep who knows what is going on.

As far as how I can afford it like I said I've been a professonal mech for almost 40 years and currently make $35 an hr. When the warranty is up I will take over the maintenance on these. My wife is a Mental Health Therapist who makes $49 an hr and we both put 30 to 40 thousand a year on our cars. Personnelly I prefer to pick up older cars as projects to work on such as my Brat that I put an ea82 into, the 84 wagon that is getting an ej or my favorite the 86 Pontiac Fiero that I stuffed a 4.9 L Cadillac in.

My 07 will be out of warranty this year and her 06 will be out late this year or early next so it might be time for a new one but I am getting ready to retire again so maybe I'll finish the 84 and drive it till I do.

I just replaced a melted connector on an impreza headlight. got so hot that it turned the bulb contact a dark color. local jy had about four imprezas and all except one had both headlamp connectors already pulled, so seems like a common prob. arcing at a loose contact mate or failing bulb filament might heat up the connector. I soldered in a jy connector and noted when I cut back the melted connector to expose the wiring, the copper wire was dark from oxidation...the higher the resistance, the more heat generated

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11074

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe I should add WAshington after the city:lol: . . .

Yes you should. Everybody should list their state or country after their city.

(Actually when people register the question should be "City & State or Country" . . . sorry, pet peeve!)