Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What the heck is this thing?

I found this thing dangling on the drivers side of the engine bay today. I went out to change my spark plugs, and there it was.

I had some work done a few months ago by a garage, (when I fried the wiring in my car:banghead: and I coulldn't fix it myself), and I am wondering if they knocked it loose from somewhere. I have no clue what it is, or what it does or where it goes, or if it something should be plugged into the little hole on the one end. I followed the wires, they go into the firewall on the passenger side of the car. The numbers on it are

071-526035-F01

9908 05

CI 200 CO 300

Any info would be appreciated.....thanks in advance...Bobby

post-19374-136027638348_thumb.jpg

post-19374-136027638354_thumb.jpg

post-19374-136027638361_thumb.jpg

Are those vacuum lines or electrical wires going to it?

I'm sorry to say i dint know what that is, as far as i have not gotten my hands dirty on many 70's models

if i had to guess, i would assume it to be some sort of vacuum solenoid or check valve. maybe for the heater control or vacuum canister?

i got your message, though

i would sugest assking moosens as i know he has had a lot of first gen soobs

Are those vacuum lines or electrical wires going to it?

I'm sorry to say i dint know what that is, as far as i have not gotten my hands dirty on many 70's models

if i had to guess, i would assume it to be some sort of vacuum solenoid or check valve. maybe for the heater control or vacuum canister?

i got your message, though

i would sugest assking moosens as i know he has had a lot of first gen soobs

They are electrical wires. I totally forgot about Paul. I will shoot him a message. I do appreciate your answering me though. Have a good one!

Bobby

Is that a hole in the metal end? If it is can you stick something small diameter in the hole and touch, say, a spring loaded switch. If I am making any sense? Take a nail and press lightly through the hole and see if there is a vacume switch in there. If so maybe you could start the car and press the switch using a nail. Then see if anything happens to the engine. You know ejector seat, engine self destructs yada yada yada.

Hope you can figure it out though.

Mike

Is that a hole in the metal end? If it is can you stick something small diameter in the hole and touch, say, a spring loaded switch. If I am making any sense? Take a nail and press lightly through the hole and see if there is a vacume switch in there. If so maybe you could start the car and press the switch using a nail. Then see if anything happens to the engine. You know ejector seat, engine self destructs yada yada yada.

Mike

It does have a small hole in the end. I will have my boyfriend test it to see what happens. That way, if he gets ejected through the roof, or it self destructs, I can blame him....right? Good idea though, I will try it.

Looks like a circuit breaker to me. Test to see if there is power though i

Perhaps for A/C? Power Windows? Cruise? Does you're brat have any of those.

But it definately looks like a breaker, or perhaps a REALLY old type of diode?

I will check this also. The car does have A/C, but it seems to be working fine.

Suppose its some sort of circuit breaker.

Yeah,ejector switch for passenger seat.

Seriously,I'll have to dig thru my FSM but I don't even know if its gonig to be in there. I take it yours is an '80 with that extra filter/can.

Was this a California model?

Yes it is an '80. I'm not sure what extra "can" you mean, but it is an '80. Don't think it's a California model, but I'm not sure. Is there some way to tell?

Mike

Okay, I tried this, is not spring loaded, it is solid inside. Also tried plugging the hole while the car was running, nothing changed.

will that wire reach your a/c drier?... looks like a switch from the top of the drier that has been snapped off........

I can't see anywhere it would have been attached...However, I did find a "U" shaped clip on a bracket just below the clutch cable return spring that this little gizmo, whatever it is, fits in very nicely. I put it in there and took a picture so you could see. Maybe someone with the same motor in their car could look and see if they have one and if it is connected to anything other than the two wires that come out of it.

post-19374-136027638366_thumb.jpg

post-19374-136027638372_thumb.jpg

the "other can" is the blue smaller filterbox that is mounted on the driver's side. Only the '80 has that.

still not sure,but now I'm guessing a temp sensor if it was indeed mounted where you show it now. .....just a guess. Where to the wires trace to?

the "other can" is the blue smaller filterbox that is mounted on the driver's side. Only the '80 has that.

still not sure,but now I'm guessing a temp sensor if it was indeed mounted where you show it now. .....just a guess. Where to the wires trace to?

Thanks for the info on the "can". I am betting it is some kind of temp sensor also. The wires trace through the firewall on the passenger side of the car. I did not get under the dash to see where they went after that.

Well, I guess if it does not affect the overall runnning condition of the car, I will just let it be. In other words; "leave well enough alone". Right?

One thing that stinks is the FSM's don't have the A/C equipement in them. I probably have some info somewhere on the early units. I'll try to check my '78 later today.

Just curious - Bobby, is your A/C compressor a York or Sanden .... or Panasonic? or ???

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. Been very busy. But it's the weekend finally !!!:banana::banana: So,

One thing that stinks is the FSM's don't have the A/C equipement in them. I probably have some info somewhere on the early units. I'll try to check my '78 later today.

Just curious - Bobby, is your A/C compressor a York or Sanden .... or Panasonic? or ???

I am not sure. I seem to remember a couple of years ago when I had some questions about the A/C, GD identified it as a York for me. I looked again, but could not find a name on it..

Does it look like this, except black instead of green?

It attaches to the top of the AC compressor

Yes, it does look like that only black.

I took a picture of mine so you can see what I see. I don't know where it would/should attach to. The yellow arrow points to a "valve stem" type fitting. And the pink arrow is just capped off as you can see.

post-19374-136027638445_thumb.jpg

Okay, I see how it should be. But I dont see any way on the "thing" itself to attach it to there. Like I said, my compressor has a valve stem type fitting there. It is threaded on the outside of it, so maybe this deal used to thread over the top of it. But if there was once something on the end to thread it over the valve stem thing, it is gone now. So, I'm stumped now if I even need it or not. My A/C works very well, and I am not sure if I want to mess with it given that fact.

What do you think?

Also, did you happen to look and see if your car has that little bracket thing right under the clutch cable return spring like mine does (shown in the other pictures), and if so, what is in it?

Thanks,

Bobby

Edited by bratgrl
(sp)