Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat +Towbar = wrong direction!

So the title pretty much says most of it, i have a lifted Brat with 205/70 R15's that i was test towing last night through parking lots before i actually took it anywhere, I was a Manufactured Tow bar that was removed ff another brat(stock) and everything bolted up just fine with the exception to 2 large cables that were originally attached somewhere on the brat suspension. Sadly the cables where destroyed from previous owner, but i figured i didnt need them. I havent seen any other towbar setup with thees cables before.

OK! but the real problem i am having is when im towing the brat, straight is fine. When i turn left the brat goes right, when i turn right the brat goes left. So far all of this was tested at low speed and it was the same results each time.

Any suggestions would be great.

Assuming you are just towing a flat roll, the brat should track correctly.

you want the trans in 2wheel drive, in neutral, and the steering column locked.

it should track nicely.

in my experiences i'll get steering the wrong way in tight slow maneuvers, or when backing.

if they go the wrong way momentarily, they should straighten out as you get going.

Assuming you are just towing a flat roll, the brat should track correctly.

you want the trans in 2wheel drive, in neutral, and the steering column locked.

it should track nicely.

in my experiences i'll get steering the wrong way in tight slow maneuvers, or when backing.

if they go the wrong way momentarily, they should straighten out as you get going.

Don't you mean "steering column unlocked"

Ive experienced this same problem on a ford granada, never found a solution. We just ended up locking the steering wheel and dragging it around turns.

Thats what I did with one a while back............ You dont want to be going down the freeway and have it jog of the road the wrong way.......

Jeff

My bet is that the two cables were used to transfer some of the weight to the hitch for tongue weight. If you remember the old u-haul clamp on tow bars. Not enough tongue weight and you could have a real wild ride! Don't know if that thought helps any.

Ed

Tongue weight shouldnt have to do with anything as its a Flat tow, there is only rolling weight.

I'll try and get pics of the towbar setup up so you guys can view it.

for turning, some time it was tight turns and others were wide so i dont believe that is the issue.

as far as Locking the steering! ouch! i would need an extra set of tires i just dont care about.

You should have two safety chains from the Towed to the Tower's hitch (or bumper or frame). Maybe you have those too tight such that it keeps the tow bar from turning the same direction as much as it needs to (so the Brat tows to the outside of the curve).

P.S. When you seriously tow (a distance and at speed) be sure and protect the towed windshield with a cover or you will likely throw a rock thru it from the towing vehicle. Been there done that.

Geo.

I've towed lots with a tow bar, just attached at the front tie downs (tow hooks) as stated earlier in this thread, if you are moving very slowly, and turn tight, it will do that, but I've never had that happen when on the road, at normal speeds, and turning corners... with the steering unlocked.

Yeah, driveway approaches can be fun towing a vehicle.

I can't explain it all, but it has to do with the frontend geometry, and the angle of the approach.

The body of the vehicle wants to follow the tow vehicle, but the tires want to track in the other direction due to the angle of the driveway approach.

Had it happen to me a few times. Some make/model of vehicles will do it more than others. That may have to do with whether it's a front-steer or rear-steer setup. In other words, steering linkage in front of axle center or behind axle center. Really can't say for sure on that.

I usually have my copilot get in the towed vehicle and steer it into/out of driveways. I have found that the wider you can swing out to turn into the driveway, the less it has a tendency to do it, but it's not always possible, nor a fix-all for it.

Years ago ('60s) I had a similar problem with a Chevy Nova drag car. It turned out to be something normally non-adjustable on EA81s. It was the caster in the front alignment. Not saying it's your problem, but it can effect how the front wheels "track". If I remember correctly it had to be near "0". The correction didn't effect driving much, but then we only drove it 1/4 mile at a time.

A properly set up tow bar on a car with normal caster won't do this. I've done 5,000 miles of flat towing, and both cars would track behind you no matter what you did. You could do full lock turns in a gas station and they would follow you right around. They will counter-lock if you try to back up, but that's due to the negative caster. You also need to adjust the hitch height so that the towed vehicle doesn't lift the towing vehicles back wheels when you try to brake. Having weight in the bed of the towing vehicle helps, when I pulled my t-wagon back I could brake and I could turn, but not at the same time. This time pulling my 68 VW Fastback I had a 4 wheeler in the bed. Much more stable.

I'd say the Brat doesn't have enough caster or the steering response is thrown off due to different wheel offset or something.

you brat is lifted and bigger tires .....the weight scale has been altered .......what i would do is put put stock 13's back on the front wheels 4 towing that would tip the scale a little .........if that dont work yet add wieght (sand bags on floor inside cab) do not add any weight in the rear if you have any in the back take it out

Edited by bobaru

ahhh. I missed the lifted part... yes, because the lift blocks most likely made the camber a bit more positive, this affects it.... I did have a problem with a lifted brat that way, and ended up getting a tow dolly for it....

if no tow dolly, then definitley put lots of weight in the front to counteract the camber....