Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are you brat owners using for Service manuals

You need the '84 factory service manual (it's a single volume) and the 85 to 89 Brat/Hatch wireing supplement.

Those two will cover everything for all the 84+ EA81's.

They did not print Brat specific FSM's - the Brat is a carry-over body style from the '80 to '84 lineup and as such continues to use the '84 FSM. Only wireing changes were made after '84 as all new development was concentrated on the EA82 platform.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I would suggest the Robert Bentley version of the 1984 FSM. It's a re-written version of the OEM FSM and covers the Brat, 4WD, and Turbo up to 1984. ISBN # 0-8376-0270-X. In looking through my copy I see it covers the rear seats in the bed of the '84 Brat but couldn't find any other Brat specific information (but I didn't look very hard either). I consider the Bentley version of the FSM an easier read than the original. Certainly much more useful than Haynes or Chilton's. It's a pretty rare book, but you might find it on Amazon or www.books4cars.com. Books4cars might also have the supplements you're looking for.

Amazon search by title didn't yield any results, but I found this with the ISBN number:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/083760270X/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1265559566&sr=1-1&condition=used $14 plus shipping is a steal for a used copy. I hate to tell you what I paid for mine.

Books4cars seems to have the supplement you're looking for. They even listed the OEM supplement for the gen1 Brat. http://www.books4cars.com/result1.asp?findmake=Subaru&imageField.x=17&imageField.y=11&offset=50

Edited by edrach

usually any fsm manual for year 1985+ is meaning the ea82 engine series.

So, for the BRAT (EA81 engine) you need 1984 and pre fsm.

1982-1984 would be the years to shoot for for a gen2 BRAT (1982-1987 Brat) will not be covered in most 1985+ fsm. since the BRAT was carry over.

That link should go into the USRM if it isn't there already.

Got the "original" link off here, but it stopped working. Mike says he changed servers, and some things didn't work again. He sent me a new link, the one posted above.

Best to download it to your system, and/or burn it to disc.

Thanks Mike, for getting it available again!!!! :clap: