Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys. I used to hang over at the Old school board, those guys taught me how to do a tranny swap and a lift on my 85 GL. She's my dayly driver for all these years, and I lover her to death.

But why I'm back is in the title. I know next to nothing about anything after the GL/Loyales.

My daughter needs to buy a car. She has 4 grand tops. I have her convinced she ought to buy a Soob. She believes me. We both like the looks of the Foresters better than Outbacks, butlooks aint everything, I know.

So we find a few Foresters in our area, in our price range, mostly in early 90's. The really start looking at reviews, and I don't like what I'm hearing. Are there some inherent probs with the first Foresters? What about second Gen?

So, wikapedia tells me which generation of Forester started when, and such. Gen two might be out of our price range.

So should we be looking at Outbacks?

Guess what I'm asking for is some tales of inherant problems in ceratin years, Forrester compared to Outback, which years to stay away from if such is the case. She wants a manual trans, and I'm glad of that.

I recomended a Soob to her because of my old ones Deadnuts reliability and ease of maintenece all these years.

I'd be doing 99% work on her new/used car.

I want her to get the best bang for her buck.

Can't thank y'all enough for any and all tips/tricks/advice/warnings/storys/anecdotes/tales of woe and or victory, whatever.

I'm listening.

Pyro in Lapine OR

for that kind of money you are probably goin to be stuck in the bad head gasket years. (but i don't really know what 04s sell for.)

so your best bet if you are getting it from a stranger is to buy one with bad head gaskets and replace the engine or have it fixed. then you know what you have.

forester gaskets fail less than outbacks, or maybe they last longer, fail later than outbacks. but still a risk.

check the ''vehicles for sale".

Edited by johnceggleston

Hey John, thanks for the reply. Yea, I'm getting that impression about the bad headgasket years. I just read the first five pages of thread here, and I'm starting to get the picture. Are you saing that 04 was the end of the "bad headgasket years"?

supposedly 02 was the last bad year, but some one has a thread with a 03 and bad head gaskets, so 04 would be my earliest risk free year. but you can pick up one with bad gaskets for less than 1000$ and the repair should run 1200 - 1800$ maybe 2000$ depending who and where. that leaves money for brakes, tune up and fluids all around.

all the foresters (all 2.5s) are interference engines so if you have the gaskets done, do everything timing belt, idlers, tensioner, and water pump, new seals and you are good for 100k.

even if you don't do the gaskets, you are going to want to be sure about the timing components and there is really only one way to be sure. just because it has a new belt, it does not mean it has new idlers.

So is the headgasket fix an upgraded head gasket?

I just read something about a original three layer, and an upgraded four?

is this right?

i don't know the tech details, but all subaru head gaskets are now good ones. for a while, years ago, there was a chance of getting 'old stock' gaskets, but they are all gone now.

Go for a low-mileage first-gen Legacy. That's 90 to 94. You just can't go wrong with those years. Simple, reliable, inexpensive, plentiful parts, and made before they "cost-cut" the whole lineup in '95.

If she's responsible and can handle the insurance - for 4k you could likely find a 92 to 94 Turbo Touring Wagon with the EJ22T. Best. Engine. Ever. Nice ride too with leather appointments....

Stay away from phase I EJ25's and frankly might as well avoid the phase II's while you are at it (the aforementioned head gasket nightmare engines). That's pretty much everything through '02 or '03 or so.

If she's set on an Outback - find a '96 with a 5 speed. Last year for the EJ22. Cheap interior like all '95+ stuff, but non-interferance EJ22 and Outback looks.

Regular "L" models still got the EJ22 on into the later 90's but they became interferance in '97. Still a good engine but watch the timing belt interval.

I see you are in Lapine - I'm in Portland. I have a '95 L wagon for sale very soon. 165k, EJ22, Auto, ABS, 6 speaker factory CD, AC, rear spoiler, etc. I've done a full 60k service (timing belt, all front seals, idlers/tensioner bearings, water pump, etc), and it is getting a repainted front bumper cover shortly (cosmetic damage). I was looking to get about $2500 for it. It's metallic red.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Great info, great reply. Thanks GD!

We might be interested in that. Dunno yet what direction we're going to go.

Go for a low-mileage first-gen Legacy. That's 90 to 94. You just can't go wrong with those years. Simple, reliable, inexpensive, plentiful parts, and made before they "cost-cut" the whole lineup in '95.

If she's responsible and can handle the insurance - for 4k you could likely find a 92 to 94 Turbo Touring Wagon with the EJ22T. Best. Engine. Ever. Nice ride too with leather appointments....

Stay away from phase I EJ25's and frankly might as well avoid the phase II's while you are at it (the aforementioned head gasket nightmare engines). That's pretty much everything through '02 or '03 or so.

If she's set on an Outback - find a '96 with a 5 speed. Last year for the EJ22. Cheap interior like all '95+ stuff, but non-interferance EJ22 and Outback looks.

Regular "L" models still got the EJ22 on into the later 90's but they became interferance in '97. Still a good engine but watch the timing belt interval.

I see you are in Lapine - I'm in Portland. I have a '95 L wagon for sale very soon. 165k, EJ22, Auto, ABS, 6 speaker factory CD, AC, rear spoiler, etc. I've done a full 60k service (timing belt, all front seals, idlers/tensioner bearings, water pump, etc), and it is getting a repainted front bumper cover shortly (cosmetic damage). I was looking to get about $2500 for it. It's metallic red.

GD

Thanks for reply StructEngineer.

Honda was considered indeed. Must have 4x4 though. Have little knowledge of Honda's lineup, will have to research and see what's out there.

The newer ones, even as new as 2007 are starting to show signs of headgasket failures. If you take a look around some other subaru forums you'll see. As said before, either avoid the 2.5l or go Honda.

on top of what General disorder said, you can consider an impreza, 93-98 or so. the pre 96's may be fwd variants, though, AWD was standard, 96 and after, the 96-98 will have 2.2 engines and not be so subject to headgasket failures. You could probably find a good one in the 2500-3500 dollar range, and leave you change to spare.

If you are going to be the one onder the hood of your daughter's car, an 1st or 2nd gen legacy or impreza would be a step up from the old school world, and a little easier to work on.

Definitely stay away from any 2.5's . The latest Suby you can find in US with the 2.2 is the 2000 Impreza Outback.

For 4000, you should be able to find a really nice Legacy L with 2.2 or a pretty decent Impreza Outback 2.2, from the south with no rust issues.

Something like this one;

.http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/1599054509.html

Just take your time