Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 Legacy L wagon, 2.2, AWD, MT, with 327,000 miles. (Finally broken in). My commute is almost all on the highway, and I typically set the cruise control at 65. I usually need to add about half a quart of oil between changes (I change the oil every 3000 miles). It's not really leaking - i.e. no puddles in my garage. But when I speed up though, it burns a lot more - i.e. if I put in a hundred miles at 75 I may need to add a half a quart on just that tank).

The problem is our state legislature just decided to up the speed limit to 70. I generally dislike it when people don't go the speed limit, but I also don't like burning oil. My question is twofold.

First, will I be harming my engine (if it's even possible to harm an EJ22) or my exhaust by getting into the "oil burn zone"? It certainly has decent enough power to go much faster than the cops would like.

Second, is there anything simple that I might be able to do to cut down or prevent the burning? I've had the front seals replaced with timing belts (last done at the 300k interval) and the rear seals done when I had the clutch done about 50 or 60k ago. I use Castrol high-mileage oil and I usually put in a can of Restore when I do the oil changes.

Thanks

Adam

run 40 wt, 5w or 10w 40.

the engine is burning oil, but that is only because it is "leaking" into the combustion chamber. either past the rings or thru the valve stem seals. i think thicker oil will reduce that.

on the other hand, are you sure it isn't leaking externally? just when running so it coats the under side of the car instead of dripping on the floor.

Is your car equipped with a PCV valve? Some Subies are, some not. If the PCV valve is clogged, higher oil burning can result. However, with that many miles, your oil burning may result from engine wear.

Like others have said, use a heavier weight oil. I use 20w50 except during Winter months, then I use 10w40 oil. A mechanic years ago suggested using 20w50 oil in any car motor with 100K+ miles on the odometer. His advise seems to work well for me.

Might try slightly larger tires to help bring down engine revs at speed. Or take a different route to work.

I'd try to find the source of a leak, might be a rear cam seal or VCG. Both of those will drip right onto the exhaust.

I get the same thing running mine at high RPM, so I try to avoid interstate/freeway travel as much as possible. Generally I'm running 55-60 and getting 33+mpg on extended drives. Even if it takes a bit longer, my engine likes it and so does my wallet. :grin:

Replace the PCV valve. At that mileage that is an amasingly low oil consumption. It is well in the normal range, even under for that mileage. I dont think you have anything to worry about, but your gas mileage will take a hit. Just check the oil more often for the first week and get a feel for it.

nipper