Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The battery in my 2000 Legacy wagon is loose. I can't figure out how the battery is secured to prevent it from moving around.

Does anyone have a diagram or picture showing the battery properly secured which they could post?

There's a metal plate across the battery top through which two slim rods, one on either side, pass through with a nut on each end which tightens, and the other ends are hooked.

To what are the hooked ends secured?

The battery sits on a sort of plastic plate . The plate has a grove in each end. I tried to secure the hooked ends of the rods to the plate but it's not at all secure.

When I replaced the spark plugs a while back I did remove the battery for easier access to the plugs but can't recall how I secured the battery after putting it back in.

Possibly I left a critical piece out...dunno.

Anyway, a diagram or picture would really help.

[...]To what are the hooked ends secured?[...]

There are elongated holes in the sheetmetal below the plastic tray. The hooks go into those holes, and the rods will fall into the "grooves" of the tray. Perhaps you need to back off the nuts so that you can get the hooks to engage the holes. If you shift the tray back a bit (and have enough light) you should be able to easily see the front hole.