Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Leak Into Map Light Assembly

My 2000 Legacy GT wagon's got water leaking into its map light assemblywhen it rains, obviously from the sun roof area. But where exactly might the entry point for the water be located?

The map lights are still working; the water hasn't shorted them out yet (water accumulates in the semi-clear plastic piece and then drips-runs out); and the flip up roof and slide back one both still work so far, so the electrics haven't been affected by the water, yet.

My last OBW LTD did exactly the same thing, and with the help of my dealership and some online searching, I found the fix to be easy and permanent.

Subaru had a TSB for this problem. Apparently someone at the factory missed applying the correct amount of sealant to the sunroof opening in the steel roof, or time allowed the sealant to shrink. Consequently the paint over the sealant developed fine hairline cracks that would wick water into the interior of the roof structure, where it would find its way down to the overhead map lights up front, and then leak out drops of water onto the driver during turns. Been there, had that, got it fixed.

Open the sunroof fully, and look at the sides of the opening where the steel roof skin was folded down into the car. Close inspection of these sidewalls (use a magnifying glass if necessary) should show where the paint has spider-cracked and is wicking in the water. The area to check is the front outside corners of the rear sunroof opening and back for about 3 inches along the sides.

Use some 300 grit sand paper to lightly sand the region (in order to give grip for the next step) and apply a very thin coat of 5 Minute Epoxy with a putty knife over the area. You don't need very much, just enough to seal the fine cracks, without any buildup that will interfere with the sunroof seals. Let it stand overnight before you close the sunroof, and problem solved. You could even paint over the epoxy if it bothers you. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
^^ What he said.

Clean the drains and I bet your problem goes away.

I have the same problem, but mine is 02' Legacy GT wagon.

How do I access the drains. They are in both front and rear roofs, right? Does the sunroof itself have to go out?

Years ago, I was able to clear sun roof drain tubes with a compressed air hose with a long wand at the end, that shot out a high pressure air spray upon pulling on the trigger mechanism. This I did at an old fashion gas station, where they actually did mechanical work on cars, like changing tires and such. Now a days, going to a retail gas mart with an air hose to fill tires, won't have the wand chuck. Maybe going to a tire store, or mechanic shop will product the magic wand.

First of all open your sunroof and pour water down the drains and see if it runs out around the rear mud guard on the ground or by the front mud guards, If it doesnt chances are the drain is clogged which as mentioned is common. If the drains are clogged clear them with compressed air. however I have also seen where the drains come off of the little nipple up at the sunroof so that is also a possibility. As for the 3M ultrapro sealant, I have done a few of these, you can usually see light through the opening if you look close enough, your basically adding this sealant to the low/worn spots, however I personally ground down everything to make it flat and applied sealant throughout, kind of contrary to what the TSB says lol... I believe the TSB is 12-68-00...I attempted to post a link to it on Subarunet and since I think subarunet is a secure site it wont allow me to do so...I do know if you take it in the TSB states it should pay .5 hr...

• 10 months later...

The housing is held on by a screw or two. Pry the lens off the lights with a small screw driver inserted into the rearward edge of the lens. There are two dimples where the tabs are that hold it on. Once the lens is off the attaching screws will be visible.

first u must remove your front glass onc removed the water tray witch is part of the body you will see the factery seam seal check it real well for pin holes also check ware the roof pannel meets the inner panel the factery missed this hole spot with seamsealer to get the map light out use a small flat blade schrewdriver on the front edge and pop it down remove the too screws and it comes out 3m makes the seamsealer for this reapair:eek:

The housing is held on by a screw or two. Pry the lens off the lights with a small screw driver inserted into the rearward edge of the lens. There are two dimples where the tabs are that hold it on. Once the lens is off the attaching screws will be visible.

The transparent lens themself? I tried to pry the grey plastic frame around it,

Thanks,