Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Post Swap ABS light_Fixed+weird

OK here is some weird stuff:

I converted a 99 gt 5-speed to an auto. The auto came from my 99 OBW limited dual moon roof which I converted to 5 speed.

I swapped the harnesses, ecus, ignition switches and relays etc.

There is one thing that people might not know: The front wheel sensors are different between Outbacks and legacys: the plugs are different Legacys=grey and Outbacks=orange

I made adapters to go between the Legacy harness and Outback sensors

When I started the GT the ABS light went out like it was supposed to but it came back on when i started driving ( it did this pre-swap) I didn't think much about it.

So I then put my car (99 OBW) together and when I started mine the ABS light never went out. I pulled the codes and there were some weird ones: 43,64.... Someone suggested swapping the ABS modules ( which is real easy).

Today I took the ABS module out of the 99 OBW and installed it in the GT. When I drove the car the ABS light stayed off and the ABS was working correctly(tested it on ice)

conclusion:OBW auto ABS module works with Legacy wheel sensors

I then installed the GTs module in the 99 OBW and the light stayed on

conclusion:Legacy module is NOT compatible with the OB front wheel sensors.

I then installed Legacy front wheel sensors in the OBW, tested again and the light turns off at start up but turned on when I drove

conclusion: Legacy module is bad OR it is NOT compatible with OB rear sensors.

OK heres the kicker........I installed a module from a 2001 OBW 5-speed and the ABS system works :)

conclusion: Outback modules seem to be backward compatable to legacy parts and older years.

Do you think there's any correlation to whether the ABS computer came out of a car that was AT or MT?

Yes, Josh. For example, with ABS code 44 ("A combination of AT control abnormal") the first diagnostic step is to check whether an "AT model is installed on an MT model", and replace if it's the wrong one.

Yeah but either the manual module(legacy gt) was bad or not compatible with the outback sensors. So when in doubt use outback module. Oh there was another twist: I also tried a 98 outback manual module...it worked the worst of them all. 98 computer not forward compatable with 99 components. The wiring in a 99 slightly different...mainly the security system/keyless entry is standard and a different system(alpine)