Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what year engines will fit my 95 Legacy

Hi, I have a 1995 Legacy AWD 2.2.

Need to know which model years 2.2 will bolt right in. Will a 2.2 in a 1990 fit?

Did they use the same exact 2.2 for a bunch of years?

The crankshaft pulley bolt came lose and damaged the crankshaft key. Is the key replacable.

Thanks for any help.

Is your 95 a 5 speed or automatic? If it's a 5 speed the 90 engine will work as long as you transfer the intake manifold and all the sensors over from your old engine. If it's an automatic, you need a 95 2.2 automatic engine for a direct fit. Or a 96-98 2.2 automatic engine if you can get the matching single port exhaust y pipe.

You can replace the crank key, but usually the end of the crank gets damaged when they come loose.

Is your 95 a 5 speed or automatic? If it's a 5 speed the 90 engine will work as long as you transfer the intake manifold and all the sensors over from your old engine. If it's an automatic, you need a 95 2.2 automatic engine for a direct fit. Or a 96-98 2.2 automatic engine if you can get the matching single port exhaust y pipe.

You can replace the crank key, but usually the end of the crank gets damaged when they come loose.

But aren't 90 though 94 2.2 dual port heads..........95 and up 2.2 single port heads

Hi, I have a 1995 Legacy AWD 2.2.

Need to know which model years 2.2 will bolt right in. Will a 2.2 in a 1990 fit?

Did they use the same exact 2.2 for a bunch of years?

The crankshaft pulley bolt came lose and damaged the crankshaft key. Is the key replacable.

Thanks for any help.

I had a 91 that it too had the crankshaft pulley bolt come loose and damage the key. It looked really chewed up, but was repairable by a shop. Suggest doing a search on this forum. There is quite a bit previously written about this problem, and how to fix it.

Pretty sure he just had a typo there, he knows.

95 is dual port. 96+ is single port.

Damaged crankshaft should be repaired, not replace the entire engine. I've fixed a few in my garage. The keys I believe aren't even necessary if you bolt the snot out of the crank pulley, I've done it a bunch of times, but I know what i'm doing, not trying to just turn, flip, make a quick buck. A competent shop can repair it. Worst case, take the entire engine to a machine shop, they can do anything with metal and will certainly repair it for less than the cost of another engine.

An EJ18 will work as well in your 95 legacy. My EJ18 swapped legacy does fine in flat lands. The mountains make it downshift a lot but it would be great in Florida if you're not worried about performance. An EJ25 would be plug and play too.

It's an automatic, it's a right hand drive for postal also. I use it to deliver mail. And I need the AWD for the deep sandy roads down here.

I forgot to ask how to replace the key.

search 'crank pulley repair' there are several good threads to read, including this one:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108471&highlight=crank+pulley+repair

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php?searchid=964612

if it's really bad i've never even bothered to install a key, they actually aren't necessary. i'm not saying i recommend that and i realize the importance of a key - but if you know what you're doing it's not worth expensive repairs or replacing an engine when this works. it's an iron crankshaft and enormous iron 22mm bolt, i've never stripped one with my 3 foot pipe put over my socket wrench. do that and it's not coming off, i've never even used locktite.