Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identify which phase EJ22 for me?

I picked up a free motor from my coworker, which i believe to be phase 2 EJ22...but I was hoping someone could identify for me.

Case reads EJ22 - 42 AA 2LLL(or 111, can't tell), 42AB 3247

Heads - 384225, 384229

CIMG0308.jpg

CIMG0307.jpg

The Intake manifold/injectors that came with it were possibly from a EJ25...but again any help would be appreciated.

CIMG0306.jpg

Even though it is not Phase 2 it may still be an interference engine. The late 96's though 98 were interference, with a slightly higher compression ratio.

Phase 2 started in 99 with 10:0 to 1 ratio.

Anyone jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

I had a chart from Subaru somewhere that described all this, but can't find it right now.

I have a 97, 98, and 2000 2.2

Even though it is not Phase 2 it may still be an interference engine. The late 96's though 98 were interference, with a slightly higher compression ratio.

Phase 2 started in 99 with 10:0 to 1 ratio.

Anyone jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

I had a chart from Subaru somewhere that described all this, but can't find it right now.

I have a 97, 98, and 2000 2.2

ahh, thats right - i think i remember reading that somewhere. the year range you're talking about sounds about where this would fit in too. My coworker says he thinks the guy he bought it from said it was from a 96. I remember seeing the ad he sent me when he bought it...but I can't remember much.

Well, at least I know the miles were pretty low and it'll get the job done either way. Thanks again for the help!

97 and up are interferance. 96 is not, but does have single exhaust-port heads. Take a look at the heads and see.

If it has dual-port heads it's a 90 to 95 engine. Non-interferance.

GD

will do. hopefully its not single port, i remember people having a harder time finding headers etc for those...i was hoping to throw a borla on :)