Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Trunk Struts For MY Wagon

Or tailgate lifts or whatever you may call them. I got my new ones installed yesterday and they are awesome! It was past time to replace the originals on my '86 wagon. They had just enough gas left in them to act like they might hold (and they wouldn't hold at all if it was damp outside) but then they would creep down and clunk me on the head & neck. Very irritating when I'm loading and unloading groceries in the rain. Or anytime. These new ones are so good that you open the tailgate and raise it up just a little bit and then the lifts take over and strongly raise the gate to the most open position.

Yeah, baby!

Where did you get them?

Ebay. The seller has a business web site as well:

LiftSupportsDepot.com

I am not affiliated with this seller or business in any way, other than I bought from him or her, and am very pleased with the product.

Yeah I need to replace those as well... similar situation... except mine will hold open when its not cold and there's no wind. Knowing me though it'll probably take getting knocked out by it (like so many others) for me to replace them

I got sick & tired of trying to hold onto a grocery cart on a slight slope, hold up the tailgate and load groceries into my car at the same time. I've been dealing with this for a few years...enough was enough. Not that expensive of an investment, and if they last only half as long as the originals (24 years) then it's more than worth the cost.

I have a station wagon because I need a station wagon and unhindered (not to mention non-painful) access to the cargo area is very important.

Don't forget to do the triple price check as napa and schucks' date=' oreilly (whatever) has the same stuff you can order too.:)[/quote']

Where you may or may not get ones that fit. I ordered a set from an online parts supplier, supposed to fit and they do not. So I went into getting the correct ones knowing what I did not want. I needed a good image/pic of the ones being sold to be sure they were right.

Yeah - new struts make a huge difference. It's even worse on the EA81 hatchbacks - for some reason 100% of them failed so you can't find a used set that's good unless they have already been replaced. Totally worth the money for good new one's. I scored a set of brand new ones from a friend that bought them but never installed them and then got rid of the car - got both for $40. I did use a stick for about a year prior to that though :).

GD