Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 legacy GT knocking sound please help!

I recently bought a 2002 GT, i have owned a 95 legacy L for the last 10 years.

When i test drove the vehicle i did not notice a knocking sound but now that i have it home and have driven it around i am noticing it.

It persists even after i have been driving around for 30+ minutes so it is not a temp issue, between the time i tested it and picked it up they said they gave it an oil change, so i checked the oil level just to be sure and it is full.. maybe even over full. I think i recall my old subaru making that noise when it got low on oil, i had to replace the rear main seal on that one..

im at a loss as to what is wrong, and reading comments posted on videos of people with the same noise problem as me has me scared i just wasted 8 grand :(

Please Help

Charlie

hard to describe, its like the normal subaru ticking but louder i will try and get a video if i can

Videos are usless as they pick up all the noises. Does it come from the front of the engine (a timing belt part) or the middle or the rear (cracked flex plate).

Remove all the drive belts start the car and using a broom handle, wooden dowel etc stick one end on your ear and probe around with the other. Check the engeni too.

its like the normal subaru ticking but louder i will try and get a video if i can

Piston slap should go away, so unless it's the rods (possible on an engine that has been majorly overheated) it's probably the lifters.

Did the PO recently change the timing belt or do any other maintenance that you know of?

You can look at the belt and usually determine if it is fairly new.

I'm not entirely familiar with which years had solid vs hydraulic yet so I don't know. :grin: But either way, solid or hydraulic, oil starvation (which is kinda what I'm thinking) can still make them tick. And it can cause all sorts of other problems too.

How many miles on it?

As others suggested - it may be coming from the accessories. The alternator was making strange noises on my 02' GT before dying - open the hood, check if it comes from there, or may be AC compressor?

How is the oil level, when was it changed last time?

I am using Mobil 1 in all my cars now. What oil is in your GT?

It may be a piece of gunk stuck in the hydraulic lifter. I've had that cured on my other car with hydraulic lifters by adding Rislone to the oil, driving for a little bit and changing oil. That happened after I switched it to the Mobil 1, apparently it picked up some old sludge and carried it there, but it was washed away by Rislone. Do NOT use oil "cleaners' with teflon - they are for racing engines that get overhauled and rinsed every other day, the small teflon particles may be blocking oil passages....

HTH, Let us know what you find.

-Michael,

02' Legacy GT wagon 134K

and 2 RWD VOlvo's

admittedly i do not know much about cars, but the things that are wrong with it were not noticable when i test drove it and looked it over

i brought it in to a subaru dealership, they have told me that the head gaskets are severely leaking and i will need the pistons replaced

(worn out which is causing the unusually loud slapping)... and a couple of minor things but all totalled about 3400 in parts and labor

is the worn piston or pistons something detrimental to my vehicle? or just an annoyance(annoying sounding)

when i started it up at the dealership it had the same loud slapping but when i got to where i bought it from (about 10min down the road) the slapping was gone.. which is the first time that the sound has gone away after driving a bit

i've only put about 50-60 miles on it since i bought it saturday

oh and there is about 88k on it

the subaru guys said that besides these major concerns it is in amazing shape especially rust wise which can be a concern for an 8 year old car here in new Hampshire

Edited by angusburger

if it's piston slap, and it's beginning to sound like it is, you can drive it as is and it's just an annoyance. the only fix is to replace the pistons, but it should run a long time as is.

however, the seller did trick you. he had already warmed the car up when you test drove it so the slapping was diminished. i'd go back and try to get your money back or at least some of it.

did you get it from a dealer, car lot or individual?

used car lot, i brought it back yesterday and they are checking it out today sometime.

My problem is i do not know if i want these jokers fixing anything related to cracking open the engine.

Last thing i need is for a patch job to be done on it and a year from now i have more problems and they are no longer culpable

Jump up and down and demand your money back and assure them that unless you get your money back, you intend to park yourself and your car in front of their sales office as long as it takes to convince them (and any future customers) that your advertisement will be bad for their business model.:headbang: