Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Short on money, exhaust ideas

I've talked in other posts about this subaru that I got with 130k on it. Its an 89 GL wagon 4x4 D/R.

I put an engine in it over the weekend the original one had been rebuilt, and after about 2k on it blew up and put a hole in the block, the guy that had it, dumped it at a wrecking yard to be crushed. It was way to straight to see that happen, only 130k on it.

Now to the question, when they go to the wrecking yard, the first thing they do here in Washington is cut the cats off of them. As is the case in mine. I'm not concerned with putting one back in. However the previous owner had put in some mickey mouse make shift Y pipe. It was just round pipe with a flange. On the drivers side, the angle wasn't right and only had one stud in it, due to the fact that there is a 1/4 inch gap where the other stud is missing. He used cardboard as a gasket. I'm not putting this back on needless to say.

What I am looking for is either a used one, or a place to get new, preferably used, don't care if there is a cat on it or not, just as long as there is enough pipe to run that temp flexible pipe from the Y to the remaining exhaust. I'm on a pretty tight budget so any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

I'm pretty sure all scrap yards cut the cat's out as I think it's illegal to sell a used one and they have precious metals in them.... most of the time. I'm thinking you need to find someone who is parting out theirs and buy the pipes -the cat and then get a new cat if you need emissions or just replace it with some exhaust pipe you can get at any auto store for about $6. Then just weld it on, won't look pretty but will do.

I'm pretty sure all scrap yards cut the cat's out as I think it's illegal to sell a used one and they have precious metals in them.... most of the time. I'm thinking you need to find someone who is parting out theirs and buy the pipes -the cat and then get a new cat if you need emissions or just replace it with some exhaust pipe you can get at any auto store for about $6. Then just weld it on, won't look pretty but will do.

If you're talking about emissions testing in Omak, then you've clearly never been there:)

I'd post in the WTB section and see if someone has a y-pipe for sale. Maybe take a picture of the bottom of the engine to make sure the sellers know what kind you're looking for. They're not that rare. I had 2 at one point.

Jacob

This comment is meant purely as a joke, so anyone who is from Omak (I was born here)don't be offended, but some people from Omak can't even spell emissions, so I'm not worried about it LOL!

I know that I could have one built, but the key is the lack of money. I will post in the WTB. But first I'll send a PM to scoobywagon.

I do work at a wrecking yard, and it is illegal to sell cats to anyone but a certified core buyer. There are however less than reputable that still sell cats, I however don't have access to all the inventory of these yards like I do most others.

The problem I'm running into with both our inventory as well as the invetory of other yards is, when they cut the cat out, they cut it at the beginning of the Y on each side, instead of the where the 2 pipes come together just before the cat.