Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had a 2007 Impreza 2.5i AT and averaged 29 mpg on mostly freeway and it would dip to 25 in mixed driving. It surprised me once by getting 31 mpg.

My 2010 Legacy 2.5 Limited with CVT has never dipped below 28 mpg in City and Highway driving and hit 36 mpg on it first official long road trip over the mountains and back.

It will be interesting to see what the Imprezas get once they have CVT. I would guess the Forester CVT mpg will be similar to the current CVT Outback.

Please specify as much as you can:

1. Consistent 26/27 mpg mixed, 29/30 mpg highway @ 60 mph

2. 2000 Outback Wagon

3. EJ251, DOHC (I think), 143,000 miles, non-turbo

4. Manual Transmission

5. Engine oil Mobil 1 5W30, Mobil 1 75W90 trans

6. Removed front plastic intake piece - used to get clogged driving in snow storms

7. OEM - 225/60/16

8. Removed crossbars, drivers side rear seatback, retractable cover

9. None

1. Consistent 25/26 mpg mixed, 31/32 mpg highway @ 60 mph

2. 2001 Outback Wagon

3. EJ252, DOHC (I think), 144,000 miles, non-turbo

4. Automatic Transmission

5. Engine oil Mobil 1 5W30, Subaru ATF

6. Removed front plastic intake piece - used to get clogged driving in snow storms

7. OEM - 225/60/16

8. Removed crossbars, retractable cover

9. None

• 7 months later...

Please specify as much as you can:

1. mpg averages for City, Highway, and/or a general mix of the two

16 20 degrees outside short trips (mile or less)

20 local no ac

19 local ac

20 at 55 28 up to 70 25 ove70

1. Model and year

1997 Outback Lifted

1. SOHC or DOHC, mileage of engine, turbo or non

DOHC 275,000 miles

1. Automatic or Manual Transmission

Auto

1. Fluids in engine, diffs, tranny, etc.

Syn engine dino everywhere else

1. any Intake, Engine, or Exhaust Modifications

nada

1. Tire size and type

stock size BFG T/a

1. Suspension lifts/lowering and/or aerodynamic changes (such as mirrors, roof racks, light bars, bumpers, valences, etc.)

Lifted, no cross bars. With a Roodf basket I am hard pressed to get 24.

1. Any other factors you feel are relevant

Blue. We all know Blue gets better MPG.

Currently, 17-18mpg city and about 23 mpg highway; I'm sure that the winter gasoline formulation is largely responsible for the very mediocre gas mileage, although I have gotten about 27.5 mpg on the highway in the past, that's still pretty mediocre for a non turbo 4 cylinder vehicle.

I would like to get a higher mpg marque...I'm so sick of paying the AWD penalty, reduced gas mileage and greater tire wear. $4 and $5 a gallon gas is coming before too long and pissing away money on gas just to have AWD just doesn't make sense to me.

5w-40 Red Line engine oil, and Red Line gear oil in gearbox and diff.

New platinum plugs just 5k miles ago along with new ignition wires.

I wonder if Subaru will ever come up with a high mpg AWD vehicle?

Edited by Bluestone

Currently, 17-18mpg city and about 23 mpg highway; I'm sure that the winter gasoline formulation is largely responsible for the very mediocre gas mileage, although I have gotten about 27.5 mpg on the highway in the past, that's still pretty mediocre for a non turbo 4 cylinder vehicle.

I would like to get a higher mpg marque...I'm so sick of paying the AWD penalty, reduced gas mileage and greater tire wear. $4 and $5 a gallon gas is coming before too long and pissing away money on gas just to have AWD just doesn't make sense to me.

5w-40 Red Line engine oil, and Red Line gear oil in gearbox and diff.

New platinum plugs just 5k miles ago along with new ignition wires.

I wonder if Subaru will ever come up with a high mpg AWD vehicle?

What exactly are you expecting.... This is a heavy AWD car. 27.5 is almost what it is rated. If you don't want the AWD penalty get a 2wd car. Your mileage is right where ti should be. Subarus are always highest in class MPG. Go look it up.

Even the Suzuki SX4 which is small lght and AWD still doesnt get great gas mpg due to the AWD. That gets 22/30. The new larger OUtback gets 22/29 with the CVT and on the outback board they constantly hitting 32 highway.

An winter/summer fuel does not haver that large an impact on mpg. It did in the 70's and 80's but newer cars do no ntoice it as much if at all.

What exactly are you expecting.... This is a heavy AWD car. 27.5 is almost what it is rated. If you don't want the AWD penalty get a 2wd car. Your mileage is right where ti should be. Subarus are always highest in class MPG. Go look it up.

Even the Suzuki SX4 which is small lght and AWD still doesnt get great gas mpg due to the AWD. That gets 22/30. The new larger OUtback gets 22/29 with the CVT and on the outback board they constantly hitting 32 highway.

An winter/summer fuel does not haver that large an impact on mpg. It did in the 70's and 80's but newer cars do no ntoice it as much if at all.

Well, gas mileage in the mid thirties would sure put a smile on my face.

I'd like to see a Subaru AWD hybrid that gets 40-45mpg. I know, I know, I'm dreaming....it's not likely to happen.

1. 17 mpg city, 22-24 mpg highway:eek:
  2. 04 Legacy Wagon, dual sunroofs
  3. 2.5 L, non-turbo, 98000 miles
  4. Automatic Transmission
  5. 5W-30 Valvoline engine, original diff oil, Castrol multi-brand Import ATF.
  6. No mods
  7. 205/55 R16 BF Goodrich Comp T/A (worn - New Michelins or Bridgestones within a few weeks)
  8. No Mods
  9. Heavily city driving/short trip. Wife is regular driver, I can do 1 or 2 mpg better.

- 2000 Outback Wagon

+ Summer tires (225/60R16 low resistance), mixed driving: 21 city, 26 highway, as high as 29 when driving conservatively - "hyper-mile" technique

+ Winter studs (215/65R16 HUGE rolling resistance) mixed conservative driving: 19/25, but as low as 17mpg when I'm "enjoying" the snowy roads

- SOHC with 190k

- Automatic Transmission

- Full synthetic 5w30

- No modifications

- No crossbars

1995 Impreza LX 2.2 AT

manual windows...lol.

no mods

289,xxx

Cheapest oil i can find. Plus Lucas additive.

reg tires and stock wheels

23-25 city 25-27 hwy if i drive like i want to. If i drive easy..maybe 27-30 hwy.

I inflate my tires a couple pounds xtra. I heard that helps a bit.

Ooops sorry i have a 2.2...

Edited by 952.2LX
wrong engine...sry

• 2 weeks later...

I get nearly 5 mpg less in my wagon in the winter, when the state puts ethanol in. In our suburban we loose about 8mpg.

Mike