Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i keep hearing about a fwd fuse

If a Subaru Legacy/Impreza is equipped with an automatic transmission; there will be a fuse holder inside the engine bay without a fuse in it. If you sick a fuse in it, your transmission will only work in 2WD.

If a Subaru Legacy/Impreza is equipped with an automatic transmission; there will be a fuse holder inside the engine bay without a fuse in it. If you sick a fuse in it, your transmission will only work in 2WD.

You would want 2 WD, should you ever have a flat tire, and need to use the spare tire. Any amp size fuse can be used. The space saver tire always gets put on the back, even if your flat is in the front. This is all done because your Subaru is AWD, and must have 4 tires of the same size, when driven in All Wheel Drive. Failure to follow instructions, can damage the AWD.

What I do, is carry a can of Fix a Flat tire inflator to air up a tire that is going down, then drive pronto to a tire shop to get the flat tire repaired to avoid using the spare, and two wheel drive.

NEVER have your Subaru towed with any wheels on the ground. Always have it "flat bedded" carried away, if can't be driven, and must be moved.

Subaru really should include a full size spare same size, the AWD system is too critical.

Or for automatic cars, they should include on top of the spare tire, a fuse, with BIG CAUTION LETTERS stating if you ever get a flat, to install the fuse. Subaru lacks to do even simple things like this.

donuts are for donut eaters.

-wonder how many repair shops see the fuse holder under hood, and it is missing a fuse, so they just put one in....????bet more then you think throw a fuse in there.........

Edited by bheinen74

which wheels become the drive wheels? and its funny u talk about the flat bc i got one yesterday and drove about 15 miles maybe with the spare...could that of messed anything up?

It puts power to the front wheels only. But useless really unless you have a flat.

one of the front wheels become the drive wheel with the FWD fuse installed.

15 miles with the spare, i would think you're probably okay. it's not "good" for it, but probably didn't hurt anything either. get your tires matched quickly, rotate them often, and don't allow the tread depth to differ by a lot. and change your trans fluid at least once.

Subaru really should include a full size spare same size, the AWD system is too critical.

While I agree, the problem with that is some people would put the full size spare on, and leave it. They would never get the flat tire fixed, or replaced, and would end up with another flat in a few weeks or months or years, and be SOL because they don't have a good spare tire to put on the car. :rolleyes: Car companies often purposefully make spare wheels ugly, so you won't forget to get it fixed.