Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hunting for grip

As most of you know I use my RX as an autocross toy. I have noticed more and more the cars that are beating me have bigger tires. I am losing due to lack of grip in the corners (mind you we are talking at g levels that no normal street car ever sees). I don't see how I stand a chance against a 1600 LB rabbit on 255/13 hoosiers when I have 205 13 ra1s. Its like trying to catch a real live rabbit they change direction too well. Any suggestions will be weighed against the arbitrary budget but are welcome.

rant/

Does everyone run open diff's? What if the rear has a locker in it so both rear are bitting? Just a thought, new here but that came to mind.

Rx's already have a rear LSD and the one in that car was nice and tight when I had it.

On top of the 20mm front bar I added an xt6 rear bar. I just need more rubber. I'm going to have a look at a wrecking yard that has a few lift backs here and see if they have any xt6s.

I tested the torque brake away on this diff and it was in the 90-95lb/ft right where it's supposed to be

Edited by vagen

CAMBER!!! Actually, make sure those RA1s are new. As is less than 5-years-old. The tires are the single most important and impactful thing you can do to improve handling, then start looking for things to replace.

The factory suspension geometry is not all that bad. Besides a serious lack of camber and caster, there is pleanty of travel, there is zero scrub-radius (at least on EA81s) and the ity-bity wheels/tires and brakes all keep unsprung weight extreamly low.

Your list of mods to do:

1 - Best tires you can find

2 - Lightest wheels you can find (The enkei wheels in my avatar are 8 lbs per corner.

3 - You have camber plates, right? If you're not around 2-3* static front camber and 1-2* static rear camber, you need more.

4 - If you are allowed to strip the car, do it. Weight kills and compared to a 1600 lb VW rabbit, you are about 1000 lbs too heavy to win... Sorry.

5 - If you want more oversteer, put on the smallest front and largest rear anti-roll bars you can find. If thats not enough, simply pull the front bar. Still not enough? Put on a second rear bar.

This info is based on my own personal AutoX experience and on my Vehicle Design degree.

Edited by carfreak85
More info

CAMBER!!! Actually, make sure those RA1s are new. As is less than 5-years-old. The tires are the single most important and impactful thing you can do to improve handling, then start looking for things to replace.

The factory suspension geometry is not all that bad. Besides a serious lack of camber and caster, there is pleanty of travel, there is zero scrub-radius (at least on EA81s) and the ity-bity wheels/tires and brakes all keep unsprung weight extreamly low.

Your list of mods to do:

1 - Best tires you can find

2 - Lightest wheels you can find (The enkei wheels in my avatar are 8 lbs per corner.

3 - You have camber plates, right? If you're not around 2-3* static front camber and 1-2* static rear camber, you need more.

4 - If you are allowed to strip the car, do it. Weight kills and compared to a 1600 lb VW rabbit, you are about 1000 lbs too heavy to win... Sorry.

5 - If you want more oversteer, put on the smallest front and largest rear anti-roll bars you can find. If thats not enough, simply pull the front bar. Still not enough? Put on a second rear bar.

This info is based on my own personal AutoX experience and on my Vehicle Design degree.

I will respond to these in order if I can

1. I am currently running RA1s sized 205/60/13 currently these are the best I can afford (Thanks JWX)

2. I am running the same wheels as you have in your avitar.

3. I do have camber plates that give me -2.3deg camber front and -1.5 rear

4. I do outweigh the rabbit but I have 70-80hp on it too

I have 20mm bars all around and the car rotates beautifully no understeer and mild oversteer with lift off snapage if needed.

My quest for grip is focussed on getting enough wheel to handle wider tires. wider tires=more grip more grip=more speed into and out of corners and faster times.

If I could fir 315 tires I would

Edited by vagen

I kno they made 13x6 inch Enkeis for our cars but good luck finding a set. I think Carfreak has been searching for a long time for a set himself so you would probably have to fight over em.

As for your suspension setup your running the same swaybars as me but im still running "stock" springs and struts. I need to go stiffer front and rear if i want this car to actually handle to its potential.

Qman that is the conclusion I am coming to...

If I go 5 lug there will be three sets of wheels going up for sale...... 2 sets of premiums and one set of Enkies. the enkies have used Toyo RA1s and one set of premiums has BFG comp t/a Legend series all in 205/60/13

Edited by vagen

My quest for grip is focussed on getting enough wheel to handle wider tires. wider tires=more grip more grip=more speed into and out of corners and faster times.

If I could fir 315 tires I would

Horsepower is meaningless, especially when you have to turn. Build a lighter car and you will win. Witness any Lotus, Ariel, Caterham, Westfield, or any other little-bity car. They clean up Ferraris, Lambos, Koenigseggs, Gumperts and Nobles.

I'll be generous and assume you have 150 WHP. @ 2600 lbs you're pushing 17.3 lbs per horsepower around the track. Your buddy in the rabbit, assuming your weight and HP estimates are correct, is pushing 16.4 lb/hp. He will still be faster.

His little tires are not working as hard as yours. There is a reason the Lotus Elise has 175 width front tires. Drop some weight and your lack of grip will become less of an issue. Move some of the weight off your front end, and the grip will improve further. Shoot for something like 52% front/ 48% rear weight bias.

The 5-lug conversion might bump you into another class, so read the most recent edition of the rule book carefully to see if that kind of mod is allowed in your class.

The rabbit is not running little tires he is on 255/45/13 Hoosiers that stick out a mile. I think I'm going to end up on Hoosiers too because I can get light 5x100 15s that will handle wide tires. This is of course after the five lug swap

in FSP I am allowed to upgrade to bigger brakes providing they came on a similar chassis and are a "bolt on" so the XT6 is perfect

FSP requires full interior but other than that anything goes. The only thing I'm not allowed to do is an engine swap that would put me in SM.

Edited by vagen