Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's embedded in all the fabric and carpet. You'll probably just have to cover it up (air fresheners, etc) till it fades with time.

Used seats and carpet would likely make it dissapear more quickly. Or pull out everything and take it to a place that cleans upholstery, etc and have them profesionally cleaned. Wash down the floor-boards with pine-sol.

Such is the nature of tobacco smoke. :rolleyes:

GD

I have heard of a spray that will rid tobacco odor, but can't remember anything about it. Suggest calling a car parts store or auto detail shop, and ask to buy a can.

Update, I just did a google search for "rid tobacco smell," and found a wealth of suggestions from fabreeze, vinegar, baking soda, citrus peel, and more. Do the same google, and I am sure you will find a solution.

Edited by Rooster2
update with more info

Some whiskey should do the trick... or at least... You won't notice it as much anymore... or anything else for that matter. :lol:

Seriously though...

There is a product called Ozium that works pretty well for removing smoke smells. My boss is a smoker, and he smokes in the Demo cars he drives. It was always evident that he had been smoking in the cars when it was time for a new one, and sometimes it wouldn't come out completely. I talked him into getting a can of Ozium to keep in the glove box, and told him to put a shot of it in the car whenever he got out of it after he had been smoking. That was about 2 years ago, when the owner of the company decided to buy company cars rather than use demos anymore. After two years and 35k+ miles in his current car, a spray of Ozium each day and you can't even tell it has ever been smoked in.

There's really only so much you can do with a car that was heavily smoked in. The tar and nicotine get into every nook and cranny in the car, in the seats, everything under the dash, in the headliner, glove box, console, the rear shelf, anything fabric or porous will soak it up like a sponge. To get rid of it completely you would have to remove everything from the interior (and I mean EVERYTHING), wash it all down front back inside and out and then hope for the best.

Your next best option is to get it Ionized by a local detail shop (basically an Ozone treatment). There are studies that say it doesn't work, some that say it does work, and some that say it only works some percentage of the time. I believe Ionizing does work, but only if the car hasn't been closed up with smoke trapped inside all the time.

Try the Ozium first. It comes in a small white and blue can, and costs about 5 or 6 bucks, but it's cheaper than an Ionizer treatment.

hate to admit it, but I am a smoker, but, i am one that hates full, nasty looking/smelling ashtrays, etc.

I drive truck for a living - company trucks - so smoke odor is a concern.

I picked up a bottle of a citrus spray called "Citrus Magic" at a truck stop and started using it once or twice a week in my truck - it works great! I sprayed the headliner and the backs of the seats with the spray (pump spray) - no need to saturate the fabric, but a good mist works wonders. Not exactly cheap, but considering other alternatives, it is pretty cost effective...

http://www.citrusmagic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=612112752

That one bottle lasted a long time.

I would actually ask anyone that got in the truck if it smelled like smoke and they always said no, it smelled good.

Ive used Ozone foggers to get rid of smoke smells in the past. When my grandfather passed we sold his motorhome that he smoked all the time in. We set off 5 ozone cans at one time and let it set for a few days. I was amazed at how well it worked. Places like Wal-mart or autozone should carry it.