Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 ej22 with siezed / busted cam shaft

i just resealed the oil pump on a 95 ej22 to swap into a 97 outback. the last guy to work on it used WAY too much sealant. there was a bead of excess equal to what is shown below on both the inside and the outside of the oil pump. some of which was pumped through the engine oil passages.

14.jpg

as a result the passenger side cam seized and broke.

question: what is the chance that another part of the engine has been oil starved???

my plan is to replace the cam shaft, sprocket, and mounting brackets and go ahead with the swap. any suggestions??

John,

Did you disassemble that head yet? If the cam seized up, I'd be worried that the journals in the head will be messed up also. Of all the Subaru's I've worked on, I've never seen or heard of a cam seizing in the head...I'd inspect it pretty well before dropping it in the car. They are tough motors...but that's messed up :)

at first glance it looked like it was damaged in an accident. but when i put my hand on it to try and turn it, what was left of the sprocket and about 2 inches of shaft came off in my hand. i have a spare head and all asorted parts, 96 not 95. my plan was to swap in the busted parts and shaft mounts, are you saying the head is at risk??

wait a minute, i think i got it. the shaft rides in the head, not on mounts like the rockers. i guess i should swap the head. can i have it checked at a machine shop. would it be repairable?

how should i proceed?? i had not planned on doing a head gasket on this engine. is it dumb to do only one side, only one side is damaged.??

thanks

From what I understand the cam rides directly in the head. No bearings to replace, so if the cam seized, it likely gouged the journal/bearing surface in the head. You won't know until you remove the cam, but I'd plan on replacing the head if I were you.

I use a lot of Lauquor Thinner for cleaning. It takes off most gunk. If there is a real nasty varnish I'll use Zep "Industrial Degreaser" in the purple gallon jugs. Works great. There really isn't much that Lauquor Thinner won't touch though - it will eat most paints even.

Also - in my experience you are still using too much sealant there. Rather than a bead, I apply an thin coat with my finger to the entire flange area. Nearly all of that is just going to squeeze out anyway. A thin coat makes sure that every surface is covered, and it prevents a ton of squeeze out. Makes your tube of sealant last nearly forever too. I've had to throw out tubes of RTV that still had good stuff in them because they were just nasty and I couldn't justify saving the last bit since a tube lasts me for months.

As to the speculation that other passages might be clogged - I would be worried as well. Unfortunately I think that's just a gamble you'll have to take. I don't know of anything that disolves RTV so if there is a clog it's not going anywhere.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

John,

I'm sorry, I replied in the other thread and missed this one! That's exactly what I was trying to say though. Rather than having replaceable cam bearings. The cam journals are machined into the head with no bearings at all. I was thinking if the cam was starved and seized in the head. It's very likely to have damaged the surface the cam rides in. You can have it checked out. But if you have a head to throw on it instead, it's probably your best bet.

so i removed the valve cover and rockers today and what was left of the cam shaft. there was no indication of seizing and no scoring of any kind. so i swapped in the cam shaft, sprocket and valve cover from the 96 and put it back together.

i do not really know what caused it to bust, maybe an accident. it is a salvage yard engine after all. but i'm betting on it being ok.

thanks for the help.

my next engine is the 2.5 i'm pulling. it also has a busted cam sprocket, busted t-belt and i assume bent valves. my plan is to repair the valves, replace the gaskets and put it in back in an outback. it will be interesting to see what the cam shaft looks like on that one.

thanks again for the help.

john

Edited by johnceggleston

If the yard pulled it out it's possible they dropped it or ran it into something with the forklift and damaged it. But I think I'd go with the car being wrecked idea. I saw one a few months back that had been hit in the drivers side. The valve cover was smashed, and the cam pulley was broken off.

• 7 months later...

I can understand why you would think that is too much sealant I put onto the oil pump. If I used regular RTV, it would pose a risk of clogging oil passages with the squeeze out. However, I used anaerobic sealant, applied in the proper amount as described in the FSM. Anaerobic sealant will not harden until it is torqued between the mating surfaces and deprived of oxygen. This has the added bonus of giving me all the time I want to install it, as it will not harden or even skin over until it is completely installed. Any squeeze out can never harden or clog anything.

Cheers.

Edited by BeerGarage