Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I have an engine I purchased online that has 70,000 miles on it to replace my old one, (2001 forester). After research I saw where head gaskets are a problem, and I noticed this engine is leaking on the driver’s side; it’s dripped several drips while setting on the stand! The mechanic that’s helping me said they need to be replaced before we put it in the car. I called the company and they wanted pictures and may need a leak down test, (which cost a $100 locally). So I sent pictures to the company today, which I have a 6 months warranty parts and labor... So my question is if the company decides not replaced the head gaskets, how long will the engine run, I mean will it get worse and smoke? Quiet? Run hot? Within 6 months? Just asking for advice before I talk to the company.

Thanks,

Roger

I would not recommend putting it in the car. If they don't initially honor the warranty, I'd suggest getting a leak down test so they do. It'll be cheaper to spend the $100 now vs. trying to have to pull the motor out later to do the head gaskets.

Leak down test probably won't show anything. These engines typically leak externally which just means they loose coolant - compression and leak down will be fine, no overheating (until it runs low on coolant), no hydrocarbons in the coolant, no oil/antifreeze mixing - it can't physically fail any of those typical "head gasket" tests. But it's leaking and it's not going to go away or get better, this is very common for these motors.

That's the normal failure mode of the SOHC Phase II EJ25 you have.

Subaru offered an extended head gasket warranty for this engine and you're year would be covered up to 100,000 miles. Subaru also redesigned the EJ25 head gasket and the Phase II EJ25's like you have are required to have a Subaru Coolant Conditioner added to it.

All that to say - replacing this engine with a used engine has a good bit of risk to it. Unfortunately the company that sells the motor probably isn't all that aware of all the idiosyncrasies of each motor design and failure modes. So they're left to decide whether you're trying to hose them or for real. They get hosed enough that they might balk a lot. But hopefully you can inform them well.

If you go used - make sure you replace all the timing components (and rear separator) before it goes in. No point in spending all that loot to leave 10 year old pulleys in there that might fail before the next timing belt change.

Great, thank you for your help.

I have a question. How do I locate Subaru on the head gasket warranty you talked about? This engine has 70,000 miles on hopefully it will qualify.

And what is a rear separator? and all the components? like all the wheels and tension, the Subaru mechanic said it would be OK. Your advice?

Great, thank you for your help.

I have a question. How do I locate Subaru on the head gasket warranty you talked about? This engine has 70,000 miles on hopefully it will qualify.

And what is a rear separator? and all the components? like all the wheels and tension, the Subaru mechanic said it would be OK. Your advice?

its not going to qualify because its out of the car. there is no way of knowing the true milage they will say. why didnt you just fix the original engine in your car?

timing belt pulleys at the bare minimum should be inspected. it's a 10 year old interference engine, if the belt breaks you'll have bent valves. the belt should be replaced and i'd do it right and expect another 100,000 miles out of it. many of us get the ebay timing component kits for $200-$300 that include a belt and all the pulleys/tensioner. at the very least the belt should be replaced and pulleys inspected, replace any that are noisey. yes, the *might* make it - but if you want a reliable car and not risk major engine damage on your expensive repair i wouldn't risk it on a new car with low mileage you want to keep for awhile.

yours isn't covered under warranty, the motor is already removed and it's probably out of date. i believe there was a 10 year limit to the warranty as well. but no matter yours is out of the car and not the engine that came with the car, it's not subject to warranty.

Any used phase II EJ25 will likely have the same problem unless the head gaskets have already been replaced.

I don't see the big deal here - any used engine should be resealed (yes - with this model that means head gaskets) before installation. If it's already out of the car and you are doing timing belts, etc - you SHOULD be doing head gaskets as well with this engine. That's just the way it is with these.

GD

You mentioned that it was an oil leak and not a water leak. Do you think that it may just be a valve cover gasket leak? Anyway with the engine already out a head gasket replacement as well as timing belt, water pump, pullys, tensioner is a breeze and should be done as preventive maintenance.

OK, I have an engine I purchased online that has 70,000 miles on it to replace my old one, (2001 forester). After research I saw where head gaskets are a problem, and I noticed this engine is leaking on the driver’s side; it’s dripped several drips while setting on the stand! The mechanic that’s helping me said they need to be replaced before we put it in the car. I called the company and they wanted pictures and may need a leak down test, (which cost a $100 locally). So I sent pictures to the company today, which I have a 6 months warranty parts and labor... So my question is if the company decides not replaced the head gaskets, how long will the engine run, I mean will it get worse and smoke? Quiet? Run hot? Within 6 months? Just asking for advice before I talk to the company.

Thanks,

Roger

i have followed this and your other thread, it sounds like you are stuck.

if the engine came from a local yard, i would consider taking it back and re-negotiating the price so you can afford to do the gaskets, buy it for the no warranty price (generally the warranty price is higher) or now that you 'know' just return it and look for a lower priced engine.

if the yard is looking at putting it back on the shelf, you may get a better deal. and returning it to them cost them less than if they have to replace it. you may get nothing. tell them if they are confident in the engine they can always sell it to the next guy.

the problem is the distance to the yard. this may not be practical.

Update I sent pictures to the company I bought engine from and they are paying for the labor and parts for head gasket. Great!

Thanks

good deal man, that's great. it seems to me they should have done something. make sure they use Subaru headgaskets for this repair.

i don't buy used engines and expect to put headgaskets on them.

how about a used 2009 engine - would that need headgaskets replaced?

how about a 2005?

1999....et.al.

That's great they are doing that for you, but - the problem as I see it is that if everyone complains about the head gaskets (which - after all are just gaskets :rolleyes:), then these company's are going to get wise to that fact and either not sell the engines at all or jack the price way up because they have been burned too many times.

They are *just* gaskets. Really this should not be that big of a deal. When you buy a used engine, IMO - you should expect to do a reseal and hang new belts, hoses, etc. Gaskets and rubber, and external bearings.... normal maintenance.

GD

You replace head gaskets on every engine you replace? I don't think that's the norm and have never heard of a mechanic doing that. You would reseal a 2007 used engine?

Head gaskets are more expensive for the majority that pay for it, so it's more than a typical gasket. If I owned a yard or when I sell engines I don't expect someone to do a head gasket job or if the head gaskets were bad, I'd sell it cheap (not that i sell them, it's too easy to find another to put it in :lol:)

We need not have the same modis operandi or anything so I realize we won't agree, just curious.

If I have a motor out that has 5 years or 100,000 miles on it I always do the headgaskets even a 2.2L or 1.8L pushrod. I just did my mom and dads 2006 Outback engine with 94,000 on it as they was a small seep spot on the RH head starting. They also live over 700 miles away and I don't want to fix the car at their house.

You replace head gaskets on every engine you replace? I don't think that's the norm and have never heard of a mechanic doing that. You would reseal a 2007 used engine?

It's a judgement call for sure. And more depends on mileage (if it's even known) rather than year of manufacture. If I pick up something with 25k on it - probably not. But the closer you get to 100k the more inclined I am to do them.

On an EJ engine - it's a few bolts. If I've got the timing belt off then it's 4 manifold bolts and however many head bolts. A little time cleaning and some new gaskets. Not a big deal IMO.

Plus any used engine is an unknown. I want to see the cylinders and the valves. If I see something bad there - THEN I will call the supplier and complain.

GD