Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was wondering what you guys ( 360...nipper) were charging in labor to do headgaskets on the phase 2 engines? Do you break it down into categories like

remove and reinstall engine $xxx disassemble-reassemble engine $xxx change all seals etc $xxx. Thanks guys

I don't know what anyone in particular is charging for labor, but I can tell you what alldata has to say on the matter. For a 2001 Forester, book time is 10.2 hours for headgaskets not including any machine time. For clarity, that would be 10.2 hours to remove the engine, tear it down, clean, reassemble, reinstall. Again, that does NOT include any time required for machine work.

it's not typically broken down into categories like you're mentioning. i mean from a developmental level those hours are sort of calculated that way, but nothing quantitative that's common and we can outline right here.

Skip has a great website about a breakdown of all the work and hours for each step of the job and parts prices, etc. Would that help you - just google for skips EJ25 headgasket page or something.

it often depends on what all is being done too. a basic gasket slap - no machining, no extras, nothing, just gaskets and necessary seals - is going to be much cheaper than going the whole 9 yards - machining, cleaning, all new valve cover gaskets, grommets, seals, reseal oil pump, separator plate upgrade, etc.

are you having a shop or dealer do this or what? might help to know why you're asking.

dealer prices typically range from $1,000 - $1,500 depending on various things like mentioned above.

I'm doing the work for a customer. Ive done several but it was only on cars I was flipping.

just wondering what the non dealer rate would be. Doing:

headgaskets

all oil seals

valve cover gaskets

intake gaskets

new clutch

timing belt

all tensioners

waterpump

reseal oil pan and rear baffle separator

resurface heads and flywheel

there's a lot of variable to this that are hard to put a price tag on or compare.

given a day or two full days work how much is it worth to you? $500 + $500 parts puts it at $1,000. that's as much or less than a dealer but you're doing far more than the head gaskets. adjust that figure up or down as you see fit given the customer, your experience, your time, skills, local economy, local subaru market etc.

Edited by grossgary

I do them to flip them as well - and not for others. Infact that's a line I still choose not to cross.

Basically I figure 1k to either "redo" the 2.5 or swap in a 2.2. Seals, 2.5 HG's, idlers, belts, WP, fluids and filters, spark plugs, reseal baffle plate, ets.

The oil pan, clutch, flywheel resurface, heads machined would be on top of that.

Breaks down to a long day. Of for me actually 2 partial days. Because I drop the rediator (on a 2.5) to be flushed/tested on the way to drop off the heads by mid afternoon. Them mid morning the next day I make the same look and pick the parts up.

I wouldn't do it for anyone(a customer) at virtually any price though.