Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hooked my starter up backwards

1990 loyale, I have the battery in the rear with a cable ran to the back from the starter to the + and - of the battery. I extended the wire from the fuse link box to the + terminal on the starter. I hooked the starter up backwards, It wont start now. No head lights, no dash lights. The fuse links "look" good. This will teach me that i need to put a piece of red tape on the positive cable.

I don't understand, if you just hooked the negative to the starter, nothing should happen at all.

The starter grounds through the case.

If you hooked up your BATTERY backwards... good luck. I've seen entire wiring harnesses turn into crispy kalamari from doing that. It can take out every sensor and relay in the entire car in some circumstances.

The black fusible link was burnt inside the cover. where do you get those? what does the black one do?

You get fusible fuse kits from auto supply stores, cut the included wire to the same length as the old fuse, crimp on the connectors and you're good to go.

Sounds like you just grounded something out and fried it.

Yup, the black fuse is the main/primary ignition fuse.

Every time I go to the wrecking yards, I make sure I check the box and pull the links if they are there.

I'll look thru my stash and see how many I got left.

Ok, I can send one to you.

Just PM me your addy.