Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch from belgium

Hi, i'm kenneth from belgium.(europe)

I own a '81 1800cc 4WD Leone hatchback.

fotos0030cleaned.jpg

fotos0027cleaned.jpg

I'm gonna rebuild my hatchback from the bare shell, with a EA-81 engine in it.

And i would like any ideas or tips for rebuilding it, and getting the maximum 'performance' out of my EA-81 engine.

For wich i have special cylinder heads were the inlet and exhaust valves have changed sides.(pics wil follow)

I'm currently driving a Justy 1200cc MPFI.

My grandfather has over 30 years dealership in Subaru.

And i don't want to put an EJ series in my car, because here in belgium it's almost impossible to swap engines.

And sorry for my bad english.

Edited by keke

183go2.jpg

Top cylinderhead is the original one, with the inletvalves on the outersides.

Bottom is the race-group A cylinderhead with the inletvalves on the inner sides, wich result in a better breathing -> more power.

The sludge arround the valves is a rust preventor.

Welcome aboard, Kenneth. Sounds like a great project--keep us up on your progress. Those heads are really interesting, let us know if you can feel a difference with them!

And don't apologize for your English . . . you're communicating as well as (or better than!) many of us here.

Nice project and nice history for a Belgian Subaru Dealer. Good luck with it.

You're far ahead of what most people would come up with for advancing performance from an EA81. Is this going to remain N/A or are you going to pump the gas into it - Turbo ?

Don't sweat the English. They pardoned me for being bad and speaking English so you're all set. Cheers!

There are dual carburetor setups out there. - just a thought before exiting ...enjoy!

I have one already, i'm searching a SPFI setup of a EA82.

Ik have an US engine with the central injector and housing but my dad trow away the rest of the US car we breaked.

So i search an ecu, wiring from intake to ecu and maybe a distributor ?(i have to check the engine)

Is that al i need for a building an EA-81 SPFi ?

(do i have to post this in te search tread ?)

I'm planning to mount such a setup onto the EA-81 i have, if i can find some parts.

And the car is gonna be NA but there is a very very small chance that it's going to be a turbo.

The Justy 3-cyl. 1200cc MPFi that i'm currently driving, is gonna be a turbo build.

I will post some pics of the build (when the setup is ready and going on) if someone is interested.

Very nice! Can you get more of these heads? There are some of us in the US that would love to find some.

GD

I can't get another set of these heads, they where sold many many years ago when those cars where sold new here, they where part of a package wich included a different exhaust (the connection is turned 90°) and has a larger diameter, reinforced rear axle, stronger front driveshafts an some kits included a rollcage.

The heads need a different camshaft than the stock one, wich i dont have any more. But Leoneturbo the guy from holland and probably my closest neighbor thinks he can find that camshaft in japan.

My father once had a hatchback build for the dakar rally with the full kit (i forgot to mention the coilovers) and sold the car to a guy who breaked the car 6moths later, without ever driving the car.

Edited by keke

Definately included pics and progress of the Justy build! Its great to see unique Soob projects like that!!

I have one already, i'm searching a SPFI setup of a EA82.

Ik have an US engine with the central injector and housing but my dad trow away the rest of the US car we breaked.

So i search an ecu, wiring from intake to ecu and maybe a distributor ?(i have to check the engine)

Is that al i need for a building an EA-81 SPFi ?

(do i have to post this in te search tread ?)

I'm planning to mount such a setup onto the EA-81 i have, if i can find some parts.

And the car is gonna be NA but there is a very very small chance that it's going to be a turbo.

The Justy 3-cyl. 1200cc MPFi that i'm currently driving, is gonna be a turbo build.

I will post some pics of the build (when the setup is ready and going on) if someone is interested.

Today i checked the SPFI engine (my dad said me it was a SPFI) but it seems to be just another carburator engine.

Now there are other options, EJ swap wich means trouble at the technical inspection here, and doing rare things with driveshafts.

Or just the race head on the EA_81 with a carb of a EA 82 ??

Or buying an SPFI kit in US, and paying a lot of import taxes and transport to europe.

But in my head an EJ swap seems so unauthentic.

What do you guys think ?

Especially with registration difficulties in Belgium I would stick with the EA81 engine. You could try to get a SPI setup (it really only is a main wiring loom, an intake manifold with throttle body / injector, the distributor and the ECU) or go for an aftermarket standalone ECU. With the EA81 RX heads and dual carb setup (the single EA82 carb is too small to make a decent power increase) the EA81 engine produced 110 PS in Japan, with twin throttle bodies and sequential fuel injection and some nice trumpets you could make close to 130 hp with a decent camshaft.

Take a look where the injectors sit on the EA81 turbo engine. You can modify carb heads, weld bungs on for the injectors. You could even use EA82T parts like MAF, injectors, sensor, wiring loom and ECU and just leave out the turbo.