Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy 01 H-6 3.0 LLBean?

Well, you should check it anyway, just to make sure they were filled to the proper level.

And I know, its hot and scary down there, but you can do it, I'm sure :)

Twitch

O.K. I finally checked the tranny fluid. The "easy" one to get to, on the pass. side... a little bit overfilled with the cleanest gear lube I've ever seen in a vehicle I've owned. The "evil" other one, driver side, was just a tad low with nice clean pink fluid.

Do I add fluid to tube where I pulled dipstick?(evil driver side) I don't know how that would be possible,the way it's buried under all that whatnot:eek:

(a funnel w/a long hose attached???)

Is there a specific type/brand fluid anyone recommends? Same stuff I put in my old Chevys? (I think that's what the book said)

How bad is it that the gear lube side was slightly over full? Do I really need to do anything about that?

I appreciate all input- Thank ya'll :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our H6
had a
failure of the front diff bearings and the pinion bearing. If the pinion bearing is going out, service it soon......otherwise you will trash the pinion and ring gears both. Very labor intensive fix involving removal of trans, seperation of Front diff case, pump, trans and tailshft. But really ony about 500 in parts($350 for ring and pinion alone)

I am very interested in this pinion bearing issue, as it seems my diff. bearings have already been replaced.

You noted the pinion and ring gears are expensive, does replacing the bearing alone, not require extensive labor? Do I then assume my gears have not been damaged already by this bearing? Needing replacement soon anyway?

O.K. I'm getting ahead of myself- as I'm sure you can tell, I'm no mechanic. What does a "going" pinion gear sound like?? Is it whiney or growly or ??.

Thank You for your help
:)

I am very interested in this pinion bearing issue, as it seems my diff. bearings have already been replaced.

You noted the pinion and ring gears are expensive, does replacing the bearing alone, not require extensive labor? Do I then assume my gears have not been damaged already by this bearing? Needing replacement soon anyway?

O.K. I'm getting ahead of myself- as I'm sure you can tell, I'm no mechanic. What does a "going" pinion gear sound like?? Is it whiney or growly or ??.

Thank You for your help :)

Whiny when under load.

there will be a "sweet spot" at light throttle where you won't here it

IF you are hearing it, the gears are gone.

Have the bellhousing, and the pump removed. The new pinion gets the new bearing pressed in. then fit a new ring gear onto the diff.

All in all, I'd say about $500 in seals, gaskets, and of course the gears and bearings. Labor could be anywhere from $500-1500 depending on where you get it done.

Are you anywhere near Corvallis OR?

Whiny when under load.

there will be a "sweet spot" at light throttle where you won't here it

IF you are hearing it, the gears are gone.

Have the bellhousing, and the pump removed. The new pinion gets the new bearing pressed in. then fit a new ring gear onto the diff.

All in all, I'd say about $500 in seals, gaskets, and of course the gears and bearings. Labor could be anywhere from $500-1500 depending on where you get it done.

Are you anywhere near Corvallis OR?

Unfortunatly, I'm in Wisconsin, about 1/2 hour from Milwaukee, so- nowhere near you:(

I will do some more intense listening in the next few days, but as of now what I hear is...

1st thing in A.M.-grindy noise I attribute to rusted rotors(it's been really humid here) my buddies say this is normal(rotors rusting overnight) so I haven't worried about it.

Also 1st thing in A.M.- kinda loud whine for the first couple of miles, kinda like the high pitch sound my 80's GM makes with a vaccum leak.

After a while the whine diminishes, and there is a sort of rumbling noise, at first I thought it was mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear, but today I was idling in "drive" and it was rumbling.

The rumbling reminded me of the sound my 85 Olds made right before the tranny went out, but they are 2 completely diffrent animals, and I am no mechanic, so I may be totally wrong.

I will do some more listening.

:) Thank You very much for your input :)

rumbling while idling in drive...meaning stationary? hmm, is it possible there's a bad front axle? if the axles were ever replaced, aftermarket axles are notorious for all sorts of issues. if it's spinning within itself (for a lack of better way of putting it), maybe that's it? though i'd imagine some other issues too - vibrations or something.

could this be a cracked flexplate or loose flexplate bolt? more possible considering the trans seems like it was removed once before, didn't you say it was previously worked on?

O.K. I dug thru the reciepts prev. owner left in the car- found one from an out of state "Professional Transmission Service" (guy traveled for work) on 11/11/09 w/104k. following parts listed as replaced-

Diff. center bearing support

2-Tapered bearing w/race

Front seal

Rear seal

Internal pipe seal Parts $576.86

Fluid and filter $129.95

Labor $795.00

Exaust repair-Broken bolt extraction $90.00

FYI this work was done about 1000 miles from where I am, so taking it back is not an option, although it had only a 90 day warranty anyway.

My mechanical ability is at changing fluids, brake jobs, maybe a line here and there, not much else...

Sooo... The pinion bearing is NOT on the above list?!?!:-\

Should I take it to a VERY trusted, VERY expensive Tranny shop?(I've known these guys for years) OR should I take it to a Subaru person I've never met?

Do I assume this rumbling noise IS the Pinion bearing?

:) Thank You All for your input :)

Yes, Stationary...

Now that you mention it, I do recall the corner mech. that looked at it before I bought it, mentioned something about one axle being replaced. I didn't find any reciepts though, the above (in Quote) is all I found other than tires and oil changes. Any thoughts on the high pitch whine in the A.M.'s ???