Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy 01 H-6 3.0 LLBean?

I do have to pass "smog" but not until next year when Registration due. The dealer cleared code(turned off enj. light) at 4PM today, by 420, it was back on. Would this "potentially" pinched wire be taken care of by the dealer replacing the 02 sensor?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lot of money, yes. But don't sit and beat yourself up about what you had to pay, it's probably not out of line for where you are. If you like the car accept it and move on.

Just for peace of mind you might want to check with your state's Consumer Protector office to see what your rights are, just in case the CELs continue or any other problems arise. Check any time limits too.

But chances are you're going to be okay.

Good luck. Enjoy.

I do have to pass "smog" but not until next year when Registration due. The dealer cleared code(turned off enj. light) at 4PM today, by 420, it was back on. Would this "potentially" pinched wire be taken care of by the dealer replacing the 02 sensor?

Heh, it was on by "420" huh? ;):brow: JK

The wire may just be in a bad spot from when it was replaced before.

Easiest thing to do is check the routing of the wiring while they're replacing it.

And make sure they use OEM or Bosch, I wouldn't trust anything else personally.

Twitch

Ya Mon:banana:

Unfortunately, I will be at work when the dealer does the 02 sensor, do I assume I am O.K. if I can go camping in Il this weeked without the enj. light coming on again? It's about a 300 mile round trip. Thanks Olnick, I will check w/consumer protector office.

I know im adding info a little late in the game....sorry

The O2 sensor code might be caused by a bad injector or something that is making the mixture too rich/lean.

The dealer probably got the car with the light on and replaced both O2 sensors to try and fix the problem. They kept clearing the codes so that it wouldn't be on while you were test driving. Dealers/car salesmen are a bit slimey. In my 14 years as a mechanic i've still met one that i trust.

So with that said just make sure that you get it in writing that they will fix the issue whatever it takes... then double check to make sure they dont take the bulb out of the dash that goes to the CEL. I know it a bit extreme but you need to stay on top of things when dealing with a dealer.

They will get sick of trying to fix your problem cheaply, forget how much $ they made from you and start acting like you are putting them out and that they have "done all they can do"

I have seen/ experienced this several times.....

Either way the issue is probably not that big of a deal. Keep track of your gas mileage and this will be the biggest indicator of the severity of the problem.

Stay strong KaraK.....fight the power

the 2.5L engines / cars of the late 90s, some have been known to have p0420 issues. so much so that new o2 sensors AND new cats did not clear the code. it's just one of those weird things. most folks correct the p0420 by using "subaru" replacement 02s. but having said that there is a work around for those late 90s cars.

but my guess is that a new o2 will correct your problem. and since this car has 2 pre-cat o2s and at least one post cat o2, maybe 2, i'm not really familiar with the exhaust layout of the H6, the only thing that would worry me is if the replacements? already on the car made by subaru. if possible i would have them all replaced by the dealer since they all have the same age and wear. 100k is little early for o2 problems, maybe but if subaru replacements will go another 100k then it is well worth it.

as far as what is fair and what the dealer should do, what would you have asked for if the CEL had popped up during the test drive? and what would the dealer have done to close the deal?

sounds like the dealer wants to do the right thing so until you have something to worry about, i wouldn't worry, very much.

I know im adding info a little late in the game....sorry

The O2 sensor code might be caused by a bad injector or something that is making the mixture too rich/lean.

The dealer probably got the car with the light on and replaced both O2 sensors to try and fix the problem. They kept clearing the codes so that it wouldn't be on while you were test driving. Dealers/car salesmen are a bit slimey. In my 14 years as a mechanic i've still met one that i trust.

So with that said just make sure that you get it in writing that they will fix the issue whatever it takes... then double check to make sure they dont take the bulb out of the dash that goes to the CEL. I know it a bit extreme but you need to stay on top of things when dealing with a dealer.

They will get sick of trying to fix your problem cheaply, forget how much $ they made from you and start acting like you are putting them out and that they have "done all they can do"

I have seen/ experienced this several times.....

Either way the issue is probably not that big of a deal. Keep track of your gas mileage and this will be the biggest indicator of the severity of the problem.

Stay strong KaraK.....fight the power

"A bit?? slimey"??:rolleyes: I would say more than a bit! I tell you, just walking into that showroom made me feel dirty! Thanks much for the tip RE: injectors, I will be watching milage. I think I found someone there I can maybe trust, the set-up manager. He's the one who put the sensor in, I talked to him for a while when I picked up the car, it seems he feels the same way about salesmen. The closest I could get to "having it in writing", was his buisness card, with the sensor info and codes written on back and his promise that he would stand up for me. I wish I had met this guy BEFORE I bought a car there. Ah well such is life, I WILL fight the power! Thanks:)

the 2.5L engines / cars of the late 90s, some have been known to have p0420 issues. so much so that new o2 sensors AND new cats did not clear the code. it's just one of those weird things. most folks correct the p0420 by using "subaru" replacement 02s. but having said that there is a work around for those late 90s cars.

but my guess is that a new o2 will correct your problem. and since this car has 2 pre-cat o2s and at least one post cat o2, maybe 2, i'm not really familiar with the exhaust layout of the H6, the only thing that would worry me is if the replacements? already on the car made by subaru. if possible i would have them all replaced by the dealer since they all have the same age and wear. 100k is little early for o2 problems, maybe but if subaru replacements will go another 100k then it is well worth it.

as far as what is fair and what the dealer should do, what would you have asked for if the CEL had popped up during the test drive? and what would the dealer have done to close the deal?

sounds like the dealer wants to do the right thing so until you have something to worry about, i wouldn't worry, very much.

Had the CEL come on during the test drive I would have said Thanks, and walked away, after all, the only reason I was at that dealer was to pick up a $2 part for one of my other cars. That shiney bluish-green paint, and the H6 emblem in the grill just caught my eye. Thanks for your input-so far, I've driven it about 10 miles since sensor replaced we'll see what happens. I'm trying not to worry (too much) :)

He gave you the code? :banana: Can you post it?

If the CEL comes back, take the car to Autozone (or whatever your local auto parts store is) before going back to the dealer. Ask the "counter man" to check the light for you. They can scan the code and tell you what it is. Write down the code letter for letter, and post it here and we can give you some more info about how to go about dealing with it.

I know the shine you speak of...... You have a pretty sweet car right out of the gate... never had the dough for anything fancy so I always drove base model Legacys. It wasn't until recently that the 96-99 outbacks have been going so cheap.. now I can live in the lap of luxury :) I wouldn't worry too much about the dealer.. just keep bugging him, play hard ball.

Its good to have an inside man who will give you the straight story. Enjoy the ride...surfs up.

if you bought it from a dealer they should be very accustomed to the O2 sensor issues.

my guess is replacing the O2 sensor is not going to fix it - i bet it comes back.

they need to check for any exhaust leaks - do you hear any noises at all?

Subaru has a very specific process for determining the cause of O2 sensor codes, if they throw a sensor at it and that doesn't fix it - they're just guessing and not properly diagnosing the issue.

If the CEL comes back, take the car to Autozone (or whatever your local auto parts store is) before going back to the dealer. Ask the "counter man" to check the light for you. They can scan the code and tell you what it is. Write down the code letter for letter, and post it here and we can give you some more info about how to go about dealing with it.

Bank 2 sensor 1

p0051

Heated oxygensensor-control circuit low

if you bought it from a dealer they should be very accustomed to the O2 sensor issues.

my guess is replacing the O2 sensor is not going to fix it - i bet it comes back.

Subaru has a very specific process for determining the cause of O2 sensor codes, if they throw a sensor at it and that doesn't fix it - they're just guessing and not properly diagnosing the issue.

Unfortunately, it's not a Subaru dealer- The manager I talked with said they don't have the Subaru scanner so he wasn't able to see exactly what it was doing-he took it for a drive after he replaced it to see that it didn't come right back on. He also said that if it came up again, he would send it to a Subaru dealership. I don't really hear anything. So far I'm at about 100 miles from picking it up, no cel yet.

Can anyone give me insight asto the reason for this code?

Bank 2 Sensor 1 P0051 Heated oxygen sensor-control circuit low.

The sensor was replaced 300 miles ago, with no recurrance, as yet.

I don't hear anything I would call exhaust sounding, early leaks sound like ticks, right??? I do hear/feel a slight rumbling, seems like mostly 2nd, maybe 3rd gear. before shifts, I hope I'm just being paranoid, cause it sounds like my 85 Olds just before all the forward bands were shot-(massive slipping)-per my friend/tranny expert. Please tell me I'm wrong!!

Do we all think so? Grossgary seemed confident changing the sensor wouldn't do it... I am still worried about this rumbling noise. The tranny had a bit of work done before I got it,(probably not by Subaru people). Someone mentioned 109K was early for 02 sensors, is pre 100K early for tranny probs?

Someone mentioned 109K was early for 02 sensors, is pre 100K early for tranny probs?

Yes, very much so.

If its an auto, check your tranny fluid, it probably needs a change.

If its not pinkish in color, and is a dark color, it definitely needs a change.

If it smells burnt, there is a problem, and I would have it checked out ASAP.

Best way to check the tranny is drive it until the car temp is at the normal

range for a few minutes, pull over, put it in park, keep the engine running

while you check it, look at the "Hot" side of the dipstick for the level.

If low, add more (derrrr :rolleyes: ), if too full, check your owners manual or

maintenance manual on the best way to empty small amounts of fluid.

If its a manual, I've heard sometimes the main input bearing will fail?

But not very often.

So check you fluid on that, it doesn't matter if its hot or cold, running or not

when you check a manual, as you probably well know...

Twitch

our H6

had a
failure of the front diff bearings and the pinion bearing. If the pinion bearing is going out, service it soon......otherwise you will trash the pinion and ring gears both. Very labor intensive fix involving removal of trans, seperation of Front diff case, pump, trans and tailshft. But really ony about 500 in parts($350 for ring and pinion alone)

Do we all think so? Grossgary seemed confident changing the sensor wouldn't do it
new sensor could fix the problem, hard to say given we have no clue on the history of the car - why they replaced them or if the mechanic is even %100 certain they were new.

The tranny had a bit of work done before I got it,(probably not by Subaru people).
we should probably get as much information on that as possible.

Someone mentioned 109K was early for 02 sensors, is pre 100K early for tranny probs?
O2 sensor life varies wildly, but 100K is used by some people as a typical replacement time for O2 sensors, doesn't sound all that early to me though plenty make it beyond that too. these transmissions rarely have issues so issues at such low mileage is odd. the front diff issue is the one concern here.

O.K. I dug thru the reciepts prev. owner left in the car- found one from an out of state "Professional Transmission Service" (guy traveled for work) on 11/11/09 w/104k. following parts listed as replaced-

Diff. center bearing support

2-Tapered bearing w/race

Front seal

Rear seal

Internal pipe seal Parts $576.86

Fluid and filter $129.95

Labor $795.00

Exaust repair-Broken bolt extraction $90.00

FYI this work was done about 1000 miles from where I am, so taking it back is not an option, although it had only a 90 day warranty anyway.

My mechanical ability is at changing fluids, brake jobs, maybe a line here and there, not much else...

Sooo... The pinion bearing is NOT on the above list?!?!:-\

Should I take it to a VERY trusted, VERY expensive Tranny shop?(I've known these guys for years) OR should I take it to a Subaru person I've never met?

Do I assume this rumbling noise IS the Pinion bearing?

:) Thank You All for your input :)

our H6
had a
failure of the front diff bearings and the pinion bearing. If the pinion bearing is going out, service it soon......otherwise you will trash the pinion and ring gears both. Very labor intensive fix involving removal of trans, seperation of Front diff case, pump, trans and tailshft. But really ony about 500 in parts($350 for ring and pinion alone)

Thank You VERY MUCH for the info:)

Yes, very much so.

If its an auto, check your tranny fluid, it probably needs a change.

If its not pinkish in color, and is a dark color, it definitely needs a change.

If it smells burnt, there is a problem, and I would have it checked out ASAP.

Best way to check the tranny is drive it until the car temp is at the normal

range for a few minutes, pull over, put it in park, keep the engine running

while you check it, look at the "Hot" side of the dipstick for the level.

If low, add more (derrrr :rolleyes: ), if too full, check your owners manual or

maintenance manual on the best way to empty small amounts of fluid.

Twitch

Thank you for replying:) (Yes it is an Auto.) If this was one of my former cars, the tranny fluid would have been checked (by me) immediately. However, I was informed (by USMB) that this car had 2 tranny dipsticks- so I had the guy at the dealership I bought it from, show me where to check it- both dipsticks are really down under(one on each side) near the exaust manifolds and TIGHT.

I have been afraid to stick my hands down there. I knew the car had tranny work done recently(by prev. owner) so I wanted to assume tranny fluid was O.K.

I really do need to stick my hands in there when it is hot and running hey? :eek: