Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine install problem. Locked it up...

So I recently rebuilt my 92 2.2 motor and I installed it into my AWD, Auto legacy yesterday. Long story short, got the engine in, put the torque converter bolts back on, realized that I never got the engine mount studs into their holes, so I jacked it up a little and popped them in, and then I finished bolting the engine together. But later when I tried to start the engine, it was locked up, couldn't turn it with a breaker bar either.

Back in high school I messed up a TC on my mustang by not having it in all the way when I bolted the engine to the tranny. I ended up crushing my tranny fluid pump. I'm hoping this wasn't so bad...

Any tips on how to remedy this without pulling the engine all the way again? Thus far I plan to loosen the engine to tranny bolts and see if it will spin then. Then maybe the bolts on the TC. But I don't know what I'd do from there if it doesn't work.

Ug...

I fastened the TC bolts before I had the engine fully tightened down to the tranny.... It was on the engine hoist...

So where to now? I figure I'll try to see if I can get it loose and run it, but I may end up needing a new tranny I assume. Or a junkyard one.

Any suggestions?

Ug...

I fastened the TC bolts before I had the engine fully tightened down to the tranny.... It was on the engine hoist...

So where to now? I figure I'll try to see if I can get it loose and run it, but I may end up needing a new tranny I assume. Or a junkyard one.

Any suggestions?

unbolt the engine and move it away from the trans a little. then unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter (with the engine moved out a bit it should free up and turn so you can get to all 4 bolts). remove the engine.

at this point you have a decison to make., throw away the trans and get a used one or re-install it and see if it is busted. i vote for re-install since your labor is free and matb something else made it bind up, not the fluid pump in the trans.

seat the torque converter correctly (it would be nice if there was a test you could do to see if it is busted but i don't know of any other than to spin the TC and see if you can feel or hear any "broken" parts.) and then re-install the the engine and bolt it to the trans. now install the flex plate / TC bolts. hook it up and start it up.

good luck. and keep us informed.

Edited by johnceggleston

:Grabs rolled up newspaper: :Whap:

NO!!! Bad! :rolleyes::lol:

Yeah you have to take it apart again. Engine and trans have to be mated 100% before TC can be bolted to the flex plate. Remove the engine, seat the TC in the trans the way it's supposed to be, then put the engine back and bolt it to the trans. The TC should sit about 1/4" away from the flex plate when it's seated properly in the trans. Then and only then you can bolt the TC to the flex plate and finish up the loose ends of installation (hoses and those goodies).

The engine hasn't turned so the trans pump MIGHT be OK. But don't drive the car more than around the block a handful of times until you can be sure that the pump isn't going to grenade. If the pump is damaged it may start to whine when the engine is running.

Worst case you have to replace the trans. Which isn't hard to do on these.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Is there any chances that I can reseat the TC back in place without fully removing the engine? I don't have it in front of me so I cannot visualize if that'd be possible.

I guess otherwise just pull the whole thing... I'm sure it'll be quicker this time...

You have to at least slide the engine forward far enough to get two hands into the bellhousing. When you get it that far you might as well pull it out all the way. Either way you want to at least drain the radiator and remove it to prevent the engine from bashing into it by accident. If you catch the antifreeze in a clean container you can reuse it.

You need enough room to easily lift and turn the torque converter, and feel the notches slide together when it fits onto the pump drive shaft.

If you do some searching on the site here you'll find some threads on how to properly seat it.

Edited by Fairtax4me

You probably didn't mess up you trans since you couldn't get the engine started.

Don't feel too bad this is a common mistake.

There are three parts of the trans that need to seat when installing a torque converter. the first two are the splines and the last one is the shaft into the pump. There are two little ears on the pump and two recesses on the shaft. So if you have to pull the converter and shaft out you can look in and see the angle that you need to align them. Also watch out for damaging the clip that holds the converter to the shaft. Before i knew what i was doing i messed a couple of these up.

After you have it seated install the engine, tighten bolts/nuts and drop it down on the cradle. This is when i check the converter. You should be able to put your finger through the holes in the flex plate and spin it. If it moves freely then you are good to go.

Good Luck.

Edited by logic23