Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone, so I have a bit of potential situation on my hands, and some good advice would be much appreciated.

I have a 1996 2.2 OBW, and the other day the when I started my car the brake and battery lights came on and stayed on. I haven't driven the car more than a .5mi since then, but in the two times I've started it, they haven't gone away. According to the little bit of research I've done this is usually an alternator problem, which makes sense, as I've noticed before that if I idle at night with my headlights on, my flashers make the lights dim. My battery is about a year old, so that shouldn't be the problem. I have no problem getting a new alternator from Subaru and trying to install it.

Here's the rub: I live in rural Vermont, about an hour from the nearest dealership, AND I need to drive to Albany on Monday night to take the NYS bar exam on Tuesday and Wednesday. This means that there is no way that I will have the 2 hours to get the part, and then another 2 hours to install it tomorrow, but I'm still gonna need to make this drive. The drive is about 130miles, around 1/3rd of which there is absolutely no cell phone service. So if I breakdown and get stuck, I'm really stuck. And I'll basically be flushing the thousands of dollars and hours I've spent preparing for this stupid exam down the toilet.

So, I guess my question here, is how long does it take for an alternater to fail once the light comes on? I know there's usually a lot of variables with this stuff, but anyone have a best guess/average? Will I make it to Albany (and ideally, back to VT)?

Your guess is as good as anyone elses. Sometimes an alternator will last a month, sometimes less than a day. I had one go from fine to about to lock up in less than 6 miles.

An alternator change is REALLY easy on these. If there's any way you can get the parts, absolutely change it before driving the car any distance.

Hell even if you have to buy one from autozone or something, put it on, then take it back later after you get a Subaru reman one from a dealer. :grin:

If you can't manage to do that, rent a car for the drive. But if you take yours, there's a good chance you might not make it.

I should add, that before replacing the alt. check all the battery connections for tightness/ cleanliness.

Edited by Fairtax4me

The battery and brake lights coming on indicate that the alternator field winding isn't being sufficiently energized. Purely and simply, under that condition your battery isn't being charged adequately.

Given the importance of your trip, and the lack of time to do a repair, I'd suggest that you either borrow or rent a car, and deal with the charging problem after you've passed the bar.

Car may make it just fine . . . or not! No way to predict. I think for something that important in my life, I'd look for alternate transportation--rent or borrow a car, maybe take the bus.

Big question is, why would we want to help someone who wants to be a lawyer? :eek:

J/k! Good luck on the exams!

Thanks for the quick replys.

I should probably add that borrowing a car is going to be unusually difficult, as most of my friends are either out of town for the summer, or taking bar exams themselves. Unfortunately there's multiple sites for the NY bar, so I can't even carpool w/ my friend who's also taking it.

How quick are we talking about here? Is this something that I could do in less than an hour? Autozone has one for $130, and that is starting to sound like a good option.

Olnick - that is a good question. Of course the even bigger one is, why am I taking the NY bar exam when I'm sure I don't want to be a lawyer or live in NY?

any used places around? call around and buy a used one and throw it in temporarily. they're super cheap and subaru alternators take about 15...maybe 30 minutes to replace for someone less comfortable.

or, i'd buy one and throw it in the trunk just to be sure or put an extra good battery or two in the trunk, the car will run awhile on that if you have too.

running like this is not doing any favors to your battery. you'll be reducing it's life span - not in any predictable way.

yeah one day or one year, there's not really a quantitative way to guess (irony at no charge):lol:.

if buying new from Subaru doesn't scare you...or the price tag on that bar exam.....then renting/borrowing a car shouldn't either. :lol:

i don't know how i feel about helping someone that's becoming a lawyer. :lol:

If you're not sure about becoming a lawyer in the first place, then the answer is simple:

LEAVE IT TO FATE!

- If you make it to the exam location, then you must be destined for great things, perhaps even Attorney-General;

- And if you break down in a cell black-hole, and you miss the exam, then your future lies elsewhere.

If you're not sure about becoming a lawyer in the first place, then the answer is simple:

LEAVE IT TO FATE!

- If you make it to the exam location, then you must be destined for great things, perhaps even Attorney-General;

- And if you break down in a cell black-hole, and you miss the exam, then your future lies elsewhere.

HAHAHA! Forester, I like your approach.

I think I'm gonna try and grab a new one from autozone tonight and hopefully toss it in in the morning. It seems like this is a pretty easy repair.

What could go wrong? :rolleyes::lol::lol::rolleyes:

And after I pass, I promise to offer some free legal advice to all the fine folks on this board that have kept my 'roo goin over the years:banana:

But seriously, what should I be worried about going wrong here?

You might very carefully spray the tensioner bolt NOW, and agin in the morning. The bolt is metal and the other piece is aluminum - and they don't play well together.

Make SURE you undo the jamb nut before undoing the tightening bolt. Or you'll strip the aluminum dog (don't know what to call it - and it's a dealer item - and costs more than it should) when you loosen the adjustiing screw.

I forget - someone will know. Space is limited for the jamb nut. It helps to have an offset 12mm? for the jamb nut that tightens the adjuster. The short bolt I'm talking about is really in the center of the pulley.

As pointed out definately get a new belt.